(slightly off topic)...    Is Montana really that good?
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:28 pm 

Of course, I knew that America had its charms - big cars, cheap automatic weapons, the birthplace of D&D*, great 1980s teen movies, etc..  But I never thought of it as somewhere where you would actually choose to live.  However, perhaps I have been misjudging the place.  This Saturday morning as I lay in bed  listening to the radio - as is my normal habit at the weekend - I listened to a broadcast from one of our BBC foreign correspondents about the State of Montana. It made it sound enchanting.  Perhaps I should think of emigrating  :)

"Montana is a beguiling place. It looks as if the foothills of the Alps have been super-sized and then placed under a vast blue sky. The air tastes like champagne, the light is crystal clear and at this time of year the sweeping fields are covered in a yellow flush of wild mustard blossom.

The emptiness is populated by bison, buffalo and horses that seem to roam wild and look upon their human guests with gentle curiosity. And this bewitching landscape produces some of the most charming free range souls you'll ever meet. "

Sounds nice!  :)

[here is the full report as a web page]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/f ... 130714.stm

* maybe we could launch a campaign to have Gary Gygax's head on Mt Rushmore?  Or Dave Arneson?  Or both their heads on one broad shoulder - like an Ettin :wink:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:41 pm 

red_bus wrote:Of course, I knew that America has its charms - big cars, cheap automatic weapons, the birthplace of D&D*, great 1980s teen movies, etc.. etc..  But I never thought of it as somewhere where you would actually choose to live.  However, perhaps I have been misjudging the place.  This Saturday morning as I lay in bed  listening to the radio - as is my normal habit at the weekend - I listened to a broadcast from one of our BBC foreign correspondents about the State of Montana. It made it sound enchanting.  Perhaps I should think of emigrating  :)

"Montana is a beguiling place. It looks as if the foothills of the Alps have been super-sized and then placed under a vast blue sky. The air tastes like champagne, the light is crystal clear and at this time of year the sweeping fields are covered in a yellow flush of wild mustard blossom.

The emptiness is populated by bison, buffalo and horses that seem to roam wild and look upon their human guests with gentle curiosity. And this bewitching landscape produces some of the most charming free range souls you'll ever meet. "

Sounds nice!  :)

[here is the full report as a web page]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/f ... 130714.stm

* maybe we could launch a campaign to have Gary Gygax's head on Mt Rushmore?  Or Dave Arneson?  Or both their heads on one broad shoulder - like an Ettin :wink:

Montana is nice.  They actually have glaciers in Montana...not many of those in the continental U.S.   For unrivaled beauty, you should check out Colorado though.  Specifically a little town called Ouray.  It is called "Switzerland of America" for a reason.
http://www.ouraycolorado.com/Home
Northern Arizona is nice too.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:50 pm 

Montana is OK... I like Marino better, but thats just me... :)

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:10 pm 

I can see this one going in a similar direction to the "Michigan Sucks' thread of a few days ago.

If you'd like to discuss something OT, please use the OT chit-chat thread -- and please keep it non-inflammatory (not that this thread was, but I'm throwing it out there anyway).

Foul

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1