Strange ebay sale
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:21 am 

All of which is fine, I guess, although it mostly seems like you're just a guy who doesn't like PayPal.

But forgetting that for a second, I think context is important — and all these very casual, every-so-often bidders, or people who can't work a computer, or whatever that you mention are not people you'll ever find at The Acaeum.

So when I say something like "I don't understand the anti-PayPal sentiment around here," I mean exactly that — around here. I'm not talking about Susie Snowflake from Sunshine, Saskatchewan, who bids on five Michael Bolton CDs per year — I'm talking about the top percentile of serious D&D collectors from throughout the world, all of whom can operate a computer and are intimately familiar with the ins and outs of eBay.

But me being puzzled certainly isn't the end of the world, either. eBay is a very big place, with room for lots of different comfort levels for various sorts of users. At the end of the day, you, me, KingOfPain, BadMike, BC, DL39, all the UK guys, and even Shipley are all smart enough to pick and choose what services and fees are comfortable for us as both buyers and sellers.

+++++

Sidebar: Personally, if eBay ever decided to switch to a PayPal-only system (which would not be that different from Amazon's very successful Amazon Payments system that has worked well for years), I would be leading the cheers. Until that happens, though, I'm more than happy to take your check or money order — just be sure to spell my name right, please. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:23 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:All of which is fine, I guess, although it mostly seems like you're just a guy who doesn't like PayPal.

But forgetting that for a second, I think context is important — and all these very casual, every-so-often bidders, or people who can't work a computer, or whatever that you mention are not people you'll ever find at The Acaeum.

So when I say something like "I don't understand the anti-PayPal sentiment around here," I mean exactly that — around here. I'm not talking about Susie Snowflake from Sunshine, Saskatchewan, who bids on five Michael Bolton CDs per year — I'm talking about the top percentile of serious D&D collectors from throughout the world, all of whom can operate a computer and are intimately familiar with the ins and outs of eBay.

But me being puzzled certainly isn't the end of the world, either. eBay is a very big place, with room for lots of different comfort levels for various sorts of users. At the end of the day, you, me, KingOfPain, BadMike, BC, DL39, all the UK guys, and even Shipley are all smart enough to pick and choose what services and fees are comfortable for us as both buyers and sellers.

+++++

Sidebar: Personally, if eBay ever decided to switch to a PayPal-only system (which would not be that different from Amazon's very successful Amazon Payments system that has worked well for years), I would be leading the cheers. Until that happens, though, I'm more than happy to take your check or money order — just be sure to spell my name right, please. :)

Paypal is convenient, but honestly I'd much rather just get all postal money orders..it would save hundreds of dollars a year for me, and I could funnel that back to the customer with lower shipping rates.  Back in the day when there was no Ebay or Paypal, and I sold on the rec.frpg.marketplace and AoL, all I (or anyone else) took was check, money order and cash. I had maybe five bounced checks in 5 years, and all for small amounts.  I hope Ebay never goes to a paypal only system and realizes a chunk of their business is wrappd up in the check/money order paying customer.  Plus, no brainer, I bet paypal rates would skyrocket once the monopoly started.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:29 pm 

Badmike wrote:I had maybe five bounced checks in 5 years, and all for small amounts.

To be fair, I've taken checks on eBay for almost eight years now and had only one bounce — and that guy fell all over himself trying to correct the situation.

(Of course, the percentage of my transactions that end with a check is way, way down. It was probably 60 percent in 1998; it can't be more than 5 percent now).

I'm not anti-check or anti-M.O., I'm just pro-PayPal — although I wouldn't mind a break on some of the fees. IMO, it's become the default currency on eBay and those that choose not to use it can only be hurting themselves ... much like, to me, those who refuse to snipe are taking a knife to a gun-fight. Those are opinions, only, though — as I mention somewhere above, eBay is big enough to accomodate all kinds of theories and preferences.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:25 pm 

This auction clearly solidifies our theory that all ebay D&D lots include a Feind Folio.

I have been selling and buying on ebay for almost six years (IIRC) and I have never had a problem with paypal - except when they somehow managed to redirect several payments to a "pending" account because somehow an outdated email address (from years ago) popped up for payment account. It took me two months to get that straightened out.

I have no problem with people who specifically choose to use paypal or those who refuse to use it. So long as they take a personal check, it is all good. Those who only take money orders - well, that is not gonna work for me.

For every 100 auctions I list on ebay, the payment method breakdown is as follows: 90% pay via paypal, 5% MO and 5% personal checks. I get cash about one out of every 150-200 auctions, at best. Those percentages can vary by few points - mostly the MO vs Checks. Paypal consistenly runs at around 90%.

Preferrably, I'd rather everyone pay via money or personal check. I'd save more than a few dollars. Considering my auction groups (around 50 items per month) usually generate between $500 and $800 in total. It would be nice not to have to pay paypal their percentage and fees on that sum of money.

But, the bottom line is that it makes things extremely easy. Most people pay within 48 hours and I have the luxury of transferring directly to my kid's investment accounts. And that doesn't cost a cent or require me to go to the bank.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:31 pm 

bbarsh wrote:For every 100 auctions I list on ebay, the payment method breakdown is as follows: 90% pay via paypal, 5% MO and 5% personal checks. I get cash about one out of every 150-200 auctions, at best. Those percentages can vary by few points - mostly the MO vs Checks. Paypal consistenly runs at around 90%.

Wow, that is kind of eerie — it is how I would describe the breakdown of my sales, too, almost to the letter (including the one guy in 200 who insists on sending cash through the mail). 8O

bbarsh wrote:This auction clearly solidifies our theory that all ebay D&D lots include a Feind Folio.

I think eBay sellers should get their fees refunded if they include a Fiend Folio and a B2 in every lot.

Previous