Strange ebay sale
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:44 am 

Right while you have all of these early D&D items going for really high prices you have one like this 1st Original Dungeons and Dragons Books Gygax Arneson that goes for a relatively low price. This seems quite strange to me, since I have seen just the 3 books with an even more bare bones write up go for considerably more. Go figure!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:56 am 

Llaurenela wrote:Right while you have all of these early D&D items going for really high prices you have one like this 1st Original Dungeons and Dragons Books Gygax Arneson that goes for a relatively low price. This seems quite strange to me, since I have seen just the 3 books with an even more bare bones write up go for considerably more. Go figure!

Here is my two cents worth:

1) No box or reference sheets.

2) Books are in so-so condition.

3) Seller is one of those Ebay consignment stores.

4) Fiend Folio dragged the price down.  :roll:

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:58 am 

spot on. :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:04 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Llaurenela wrote:Right while you have all of these early D&D items going for really high prices you have one like this 1st Original Dungeons and Dragons Books Gygax Arneson that goes for a relatively low price. This seems quite strange to me, since I have seen just the 3 books with an even more bare bones write up go for considerably more. Go figure!

d'ya know KOP...youre pretty good sometimes  :P  :P  :P

pretty spot on comment tho. cept the fiend folio prb helped it along :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:53 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

Good analysis. ^^

$46 still wasn't that cheap compared with $51 + my push on http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0000233980

1) Has a box: clean, but with a bit of bashing. Still no ref sheets, though

2) Books are in good, clean, VF condition with no staple rust - and 6th print, not 7th

3) Seller wasn't a consignment store

4) And you didn't have to buy a Fiend Folio, either. :)

Having said that, I've seen just the three books go for considerably more, too. Impatient buyers, I guess.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:36 pm 

faro wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:

Good analysis. ^^

$46 still wasn't that cheap compared with $51 + my push on  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

1) Has a box: clean, but with a bit of bashing. Still no ref sheets, though
2) Books are in good, clean, VF condition with no staple rust - and 6th print, not 7th
3) Seller wasn't a consignment store
4) And you didn't have to buy a Fiend Folio, either. :)

Having said that, I've seen just the three books go for considerably more, too. Impatient buyers, I guess.

There probably wont be many people who agree with me on this but consider one thing:  PayPal only auctions.  I know most people here dont share my negative views of PayPal but when you limit yourself to only allow one possible means of payment, you also limit your potential bidders.  There are a lot of people like myself out there that dont want to mess around with PayPal and look for auctions that allow payment via check and money order as well.  Hell, I wont even bother looking at an auction that is PayPal only.  As someone already said...another item just like it will pop up on Ebay sooner or later.  And odds are PayPal wont be the only payment option either.

Now I havent done any extensive research on the matter but it was the only other variable that wasnt mentioned before and seems pretty logical.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:02 pm 

I used to just skip auction listings that only took paypal also, I mean there is absolutely nothing wrong with accepting money orders, If you are the seller of the item  you even raise your profit level because you dont have to pay the paypal fees, never understood the paypal only deal, what difference does it make if you get your money in 24 hrs or 7 days not like your going to starve to death, besides paypal can be a big mess at times.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:11 pm 

I've never understood this sentiment from potential buyers.

For buyers, PayPal has no fees and much built-in buyer protection. It actually costs you more money to write a check (those have to be re-ordered), get a money order (at least 89 cents in most places), or get a cashier's check (at least $4 at most banks) than it does to use PayPal.

For sellers, of course, there are some different factors. Fees being the biggest complaint (along with a dispute policy that heavily favors buyers).

+++++

For the record, I accept all forms of payment on my auctions, and I always have. I don't think I've changed the text on my "payment options" paragraph once in the last eight years (except to add PayPal and eliminate Billpoint, of course).

I'm just mystified by much of the anti-PayPal sentiment I read here.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:35 pm 

As a buyer I am on the other side of the coin. I am less likely to deal with a seller that will not take PayPal. It provides the buyer with recourse, in theory, should the transaction go bad. I send someone a money order and they abscond with it having used one of the addresses that can be rented and looks like a street address I have no recourse. Even if they are on the up and up but the item is unsatidfactory and they end up being a jerk I have no recourse (lets not even discuss eBay Buyer Protection). I have had three deals go south in the last year and two were check or money order payments that I had no protection for.

Now were I a seller I would have more ambivalent feelings on the matter. PayPal opens up the door to the buyer who wants to beat the system. There is the credit card chargeback or the PayPal complaint process. I would make sure I had everything done correctly with PayPal orders and would probably refuse credit card payments (if you can still do this).

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:00 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I'm just mystified by much of the anti-PayPal sentiment I read here.

It's no different than if I went to a restaurant that you liked and had a bad experience.  Even though you love to eat there and have never had a problem, I wont ever go back because I thought it sucked.

I used PayPal 5 or 6 times in one year.  In three of those instances I was not able to pay the person because of some glitch.  Either they could not accept the payment for some reason or it didnt show up in their account.  What should have amounted to 5 minutes of my time turned into an hour dealing with PayPal support and the seller trying to figure out what happened.  It was one of those frustrating experiences that I figured I was really better off not having to deal with.

I guess some of my venom against PayPal also is due to the fact that Ebay owns them.  Conflict of interest on a huge scale if you ask me.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:13 pm 

No PayPal is a warning sign to me.  Why won't a seller use PayPal?  Are they the type that wants to stick it to The Man?  Are they inclined to disputes and grudges?  Are they disorganized?

Also, I know myself....I am bad at getting things into the mail (*waves to zohwar*) and the only trouble I have ever caused an Ebay seller was trying to mail a check to Canada.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:19 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Are they the type that wants to stick it to The Man?  Are they inclined to disputes and grudges?  Are they disorganized?

Mark   8)

Hey!  That's me!!!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:35 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I've never understood this sentiment from potential buyers.

For buyers, PayPal has no fees and much built-in buyer protection.

Mhmm... I would have expected "No PayPal" to be a bigger negative to interested buyers than "PayPal only".
Try using anything to make purchases from over here, for a start...

(In the case above, there were a few OCEs that did go through relatively cheaply whilst the spotlight was turned. I wouldn't have deemed PayPal-only as being a particularly good reason for low prices, but I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility).

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:11 pm 

Um, I think that last line is (c) Couga Rinard, Awl Rites Resurfed. Even if it IS your only neg.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:14 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Um, I think that last line is (c) Couga Rinard, Awl Rites Resurfed. Even if it IS your only neg.

:lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:40 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Um, I think that last line is (c) Couga Rinard, Awl Rites Resurfed. Even if it IS your only neg.

You peeked! :P

Heh... I was just trying out Xax's new secret sig language: "Cougar's can't", or whatever it was he called it.
Hope he gets the message or else I'll never see that VGC M-Bag again... :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:56 pm 

Yeah, I figure it's like an alignment language: Lawful Evil Feline, or something like that. :)

Kingofpain89 wrote:I guess some of my venom against PayPal also is due to the fact that Ebay owns them.  Conflict of interest on a huge scale if you ask me.

I miss the days when eBay and PayPal couldn't stand each other. When PayPal needed customers, it was possible for both buyers and sellers to play both ends against the middle and come out with some nice deals.

I'm not sure which is better: the integration with the eBay system and the protection are definitely better today ... but any sense of improvement through competition is nowhere to be found. Maybe a Google Wallet (or a Microsoft This or a Citibank That) wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:27 am 

OK, Just wanted to make a few concrete points on this about paypal/money order

For The BUYER:

1.  Money Orders cost 49 cents at Wallmart which are everywhere (I know but Wallmart is a big evil corporation unlike Paypal, right? lol) Many Banks Credit/Union will provide customers a money order free of charge.

2. Money orders are traceable and if a seller rips you off, you do have real buyer protection.. Its called Federal Mail Fraud which is a Felony and not hard to pursue legally thru the local Post Master unlike Paypals vague and inconsistant " buyer protection"

3. Many sellers do not sell often on ebay, have an online store or consider selling on ebay a full time job, so they really dont want to be bothered by paypals fees, glitches and b.s because they dont sell that often

4. If a seller has something rare that you really want, what difference does an extra 0.49 - .99 cents for a money order make, just figure it in to the total price your are willing to bid like you would shipping. If that is a major problem for you, then by all means feel free to skip the auction ( this is how alot of smart bidders actually get really good deals on auctions that dont take paypal though because many potential buyers WILL NOT bid)

5.  Ultimately the seller sets their own terms of sell and types of payments accepted. If you disagree, Dont take it personally, just move on.

FOR SELLERS:

1. Like wise, many potential bidders do not spend alot of time shopping on ebay, some people may only bid a few times per year, when they are looking for a certain item that they need or are just plain bored and remember that they have an ebay account, they come into some extra cash they want to throw away or maybe they just saw one of those great snazzy Brand New Ebay commercials.( Contrary to some peoples ebay obsessiveness, not everyone is an Ebayaholic)

2. I have never met any seller or personally heard of anyone being ripped off by a stolen or fake money, Im sure it happens but compared to Paypals policy? If you feel suspicious about a money order, then take it to the bank or post office and have it validated.

3. Particullarly with older people, just figuring out how the internet works is quite a challenge let alone understanding paypal. Some older people take immense pride in thier stubborness and ignorance and refuse to change or adapt. Many sellers have had bad experiences with paypal in the past and from thier viewpoint would just like to keep things simple and only deal with money orders and are willing to accept that thier items may sell for much less than if they also accepted paypal.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Next