Gencon Anyone?
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:13 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:So GenCon is coming to the UK? About time too...
Frank? We need an auctioneer?

Love to, but Elephant has said repeatedly that it's too small to demand my talents. I'm available for the cost of the plane fare, since I can always room with Red Bus in the corner of a pub somewhere nearby... or with Faro, and commute. ;> (But I'll insist on driving on the right side instead of the wrong side, so everybody had better get out of my way.)

There have been many GenCons UK, btw.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:48 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:So GenCon is coming to the UK? About time too.
Maybe an Acaeum meet up could be in order?
Would be interesting to find out if anyone is coming over for it?
RJK? Launch PPP on the UK market?
Frank? We need an auctioneer?

For anyone interested, Claymore is the first weekend in August in Edinburgh. I haven't been since the early 90's, but it looks like it's more of a tabletop games con' than anything FRP.

dont we have one of them con things in november down south somewhere ? ian, malcolm knows about that one (lawrenson) and said its very CCG orientated, which was why i didnt bother going last time...or is this a diff one?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:25 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
dont we have one of them con things in november down south somewhere ? ian, malcolm knows about that one (lawrenson) and said its very CCG orientated, which was why i didnt bother going last time...or is this a diff one?

Al

Hiya,

there are several role-playing Conventions in the UK each year, but they nearly all tend to be rather small affairs (50 - 200 people), and I have to admit I don't go to many of them.

There was no UK Gencon this year, but there will be one in just over a years time (allegedly).

The Missus tends to meet her worldwide Magic collecting cronies at Spiel, in Essen (which is the biggest games show in the world) and I've always thought it a pity that no-one from this board attends there(apart from me).

Cheers,
Malcolm
http://www.ccgs.co.uk

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:59 am 

lawrenson wrote:
...The Missus tends to meet her worldwide Magic collecting cronies at Spiel, in Essen (which is the biggest games show in the world) and I've always thought it a pity that no-one from this board attends there(apart from me).

I could be tempted.  But, is it worth going to from a collecting point of view?

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:00 pm 

red_bus wrote:
I could be tempted.  But, is it worth going to from a collecting point of view?

yeah this is the thing - it its worthwhile from that perspective, then i could be tempted to go have a look.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:48 pm 

Hiya,

well, it depends what you're after really. Plus it varies year-to-year.

2 years ago I spent a FORTUNE on rarer items. Last year I bought mainly german 2nd edition (at 1 Euro per module) - nothing rare but a load of cheap items to pad my collection (I still dont know what they all are as they had diferent covers to the UK versions).

From the collecting point of view, it does depend on which Traders turn up. Sometimes there are high-end collectible Traders (such as Us  :D ), sometimes there are distributors dumping slightly older stuff for next-to-nothing. Plus I think Larry Elmore will be there this year. If you have any interest in boardgames tho, you can play those all day before they get officially released - and get them demo'ed to you.

Well, I'm going  :D  Iast year was quite quiet, with only 144,000 people attending - hopefully this year will be a bit busier  :D

Cheers,
Malcolm

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:09 pm 

Is there going to be an auction at GenCon UK?  I was seriously thinking about trying to get there.  An auction might clinch it :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:32 am 

http://www.consupport.com/index.asp

Gencon UK's home page - I have enquired as to the likelehood of an auction but no firm information yet. (Its still over a year away so be patient!!)
(It's also 20 minutes from my door which is rather nice!!)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Previous