Gencon Anyone?
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:00 pm 

El Diablo Robotico wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:Robot Devil, have you been to the SoCal version before? I've been to all three, and ... well ... it wasn't always a perfect experience. Not that, overall, I didn't have fun each time, but I think the Anaheim event is having some growing pains.

I've been to 'em all too, although last year was the first time I went for the entire weekend. It's small sure, and there are many growing pains, but I can't really afford the trip out to Indie by myself. Since I live down in SoCal, there's no plane tix, and I'm sharing rooms with friends, etc. so it makes it cheaper.

I had a pretty good time last year. I ran a game (old school Boot Hill, which was a blast!) and played in a few (some good, some not so good). This year I plan on running games exclusively (if I run 5 or more games, they'll comp my pass, so I'm shooting for that).

If you're gonna show up this year Xaxaxe, we should plan a meet-up of some kind.

Way back in the day you only had to run a single event to get a full weekend judges pass. Then they upped to same or multiple events with at least three time slots.

For some reason, I think they even used to pay you $10 (gift certificate for the dealer hall)...but that was quite some time ago.

edit: Just remembered! They gave you $1 for each ticket your event sold plus the four day judge pass. Not a bad deal. We ran a huge (for us AD&D open style tournament one year (1988 or so) and sold out the thing with 256 tickets. What a blast that was.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:05 pm 

Thinking ahead...

I was at the SoCals from the start but had to miss last year; too much holiday season work up here. But I'll be there this year for sure, as it's before Thanksgiving.

(For you Euros, that's a quaint observance here in the Americas during which we all eat so much we can only totter over to the sofas and collapse and watch the telly, the latter activity often focused on displays of competing tribes running back and forth on a field of grass defaced in striped fashion by chemical treatments.)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:09 pm 

Ive never been to a Gencon before, although I always remember seeing the ad in the dragon magazines ever since I was a kid. What can one expect from a modern gencon, please tell me there are not alot of Wizards of the Coast clowns running around or a casting booth for extras in the next Dungeons & Dragons Hollywood movie sequal flop. Is there a Gencon website?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:32 pm 

Sure there is a website.

http://gencon.com

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:58 pm 

I am going to daytrip the whole Gencon affair, will likely be up there on saturday by 11am-1pm.  Stay long enough to hit the dealer room and try to find a good new game (rpg) and a decent oldie (also rpg).  Would like to hit the auction room and do a few other things but the people I generally attend with are not collectors and get bored with my addiction easily.

~jeff

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:49 pm 

Any ideas on what will be available at the auction for rare stuff?

Just need to know how much Moola to bring 8)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:52 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Any ideas on what will be available at the auction for rare stuff?

I'll dig up some info and let you know soon. I know we'll have at least one Brown box, and the original Pumpkinhead Bugbear art from Greyhawk.

For what it's worth, most of last year's items that went for $150+:

D&D GD&H Original Cover Art ($1,250), ToEE photocopy of original manuscript ($900), Tsojconth NM ($750), Gorgonstar Titan ($575), EPT shrink ($500), Tsojconth G/VG ($475), Chainmail 1e ($450), Gorgonstar Titan Battlelands ($320), PVQ black ($320), SPI Gestapo Monopoly ($280), RPGA R-3 ($270), KoDT #1 ($270), OCE shrink ($250), Wasser Des Lebens ($240), RPGA R-2 ($230), Talisman City ($210), SPI Ring Trilogy ($210), Fortress America shrink ($200), The Wargamer #1 ($200), EPT NM ($200), Battledroids ($200), Talisman 1e Mint ($190), SPI War Between the States ($180), Gorgonstar Ant Wars ($170), Supremacy with MegaMap NM ($165), OCE ($155), SPI After the Holocaust ($155), Dark Tower VG/Exc ($155), OCE ($150).

(I left out some jewelry, Magic the Gathering, unique dice, and banners from GenCon Milwaukee.)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:59 pm 

ExTSR wrote:I'll dig up some info and let you know soon. I know we'll have at least one Brown box

Ah, the "secret" is out at last.

I've had to resist temptation multiple times /not/ to ask about that!

=> http://community.gencon.com/forums/1/41 ... hread.aspx

(Frank; maybe you'd better warn Noffham there'll be more offers incoming, now! ;))

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:32 pm 

faro wrote:Ah, the "secret" is out at last.

I've had to resist temptation multiple times /not/ to ask about that!

=> http://community.gencon.com/forums/1/41 ... hread.aspx

(Frank; maybe you'd better warn Noffham there'll be more offers incoming, now! ;))

Sounds good, just spent 35 minutes reading the forum.  A first print! Hmmm 8)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:38 am 

Aha, just got word of an editing manuscript for the DMG.

More to come...

Oh yeah, HERE is a compilation of seller's photos of the Brown. Note that book 3 might be a later one.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:50 pm 

Thanks, Frank.
ExTSR wrote:Note that book 3 might be a later one.

It is (2nd print format cover). Can see that it's visibly shorter, too, as usual.
M&T is a bright (="later"?) copy: M&M should be, too, even if the cardstock  is apparently a bit darker for whatever reason.

Horizontal grain, small label box is good to see for consistency, even though there are exceptions such as improv's).
No ref. or corrections sheets there, however?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:26 pm 

faro wrote:No ref. or corrections sheets there, however?

Wups. Ref Sheets yes. No corrigenda mentioned by seller.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:36 pm 

Those prices look quite cheap. Where did the TOEE MS go to?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:58 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Those prices look quite cheap. Where did the TOEE MS go to?

We're not at liberty to disclose any details about the buyers.

Cheap and very cost-effective. I buy a fair pile o' stuff at GenCon for resale (online & elsewhere), typically filling my van with olde cruddie stuff to take & sell and then filling it with stock for the drive home.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:20 pm 

DMG PrePub, cover sheet is Here...

...and it comes with a very sweet Letter of Authenticity from Gary in August 2000. Seller brought it to him to verify, Gary remembers it, and I can vouch for Gary's handwriting. fyi, this is apparently the copy that was mailed to Jake Jaquet shortly before he became Editor of Dragon magazine.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:26 pm 

My god, that looks surpsingly similar to the "ST1 pre-pub", but authentic of course.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:29 pm 

The trimmed lettering on the yellow banner (just like the actual 1st print) is a nice touch, too! :D

thx. ^^

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:33 pm 

Was thinking the same; they apparently printed it "to the letter", so to speak.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

PreviousNext