Gencon Anyone?
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:58 am 

I look forward to the Acaeum meeting on Friday.  Be nice to put a face to all you folks.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:38 am 

Prufrock wrote:I look forward to the Acaeum meeting on Friday.  Be nice to put a face to all you folks.

Martin

And you actually live there!  You must have been very happy to see Gencon move to Indy!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:05 am 

Hey Blackmoor,

Yeah, I'm happy to have GENCON here.  But I'm not really all that hardcore of a D & D person.  It's very strange, but I simply like collecting and reading the material and paticipating in a community such as this.

Look forward to meeting all who attend.

Martin

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:33 am 

Couple o' pix fyi...

As we were setting up I snapped pictures from the stage, looking West and East... and then later, when the Store was quiet.

Reminder, Mr. Bugbear (B&W detail Here) will be up for sale. Advance proxy bids will be accepted, with credit/charge card guarantee.

edit: btw, the guy seated in the 'West' pic is my partner Ken Fonarow (a sheriff in Los Angeles), who has one of the top wargame collections in the USA.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:45 pm 

I went to the socal gencon last Nov and was very disappointed compared to what it was like back in the day... sigh. Still up in the air if I can make it to the "real" gencon come August. Still, it's not the real gencon unless it's back in Milwaukee... boy, those were the days!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:57 pm 

ExTSR wrote:.... Advance proxy bids will be accepted, with credit/charge card guarantee.

Is there a list (on a website somewhere?) of stuff I should be looking at?  I would be happy to place a proxy bid if there is anything interesting for sale.  

I am hoping to make it in person next year - but likely not in '06 I am afraid.  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:39 pm 

red_bus wrote:Is there a list (on a website somewhere?) of stuff I should be looking at?  I would be happy to place a proxy bid if there is anything interesting for sale.

I'll see what I can do. The core problem on our end is that you can pre-register items for the auction but you're not committed* to actually selling them. Thus, we don't really know what we're going to have until it shows up, on Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat of the convention.

* The auction pre-reg system (which is here) is a tool that helps all of us, and it's not in anyone's interests to turn it into a commitment... nor do we have any idea how to enforce noncompliance.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:51 pm 

Much obliged.  i will check it out.  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:00 pm 

ExTSR wrote:
red_bus wrote:Is there a list (on a website somewhere?) of stuff I should be looking at?  I would be happy to place a proxy bid if there is anything interesting for sale.

I'll see what I can do. The core problem on our end is that you can pre-register items for the auction but you're not committed* to actually selling them. Thus, we don't really know what we're going to have until it shows up, on Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat of the convention.

* The auction pre-reg system (at WeekendWarriors.com) is a tool that helps all of us, and it's not in anyone's interests to turn it into a commitment... nor do we have any idea how to enforce noncompliance.

weekendwarrior.com not weekendwarriors.com. The other site is not bad just one of those sites you expect to see when you mistype a URL.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:59 pm 

Noted, sorry; I've embedded the correct link in the post above to take you directly to the pre-reg login. It's free, it's reasonably well-programmed, and it's unlike (and better than) any other auction in the world. :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:48 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Noted, sorry; I've embedded the correct link in the post above...

Heh, heh... (Not quite as bad as one of our BOD using http://www.phoenixexotics.com/ (not worksafe) instead of http://www.phoenixexotics.org/ on our publicity material and handing out the same to all their family and friends before anyone spotted the error 8O).

=

Yeah, looking over all those old auction prices is fun, Frank. :P

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:57 pm 

my wife & i will be there (her third, my 28th). for an frp collector there is no better place to be...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:26 pm 

jpipes wrote:I went to the socal gencon last Nov and was very disappointed compared to what it was like back in the day... sigh. Still up in the air if I can make it to the "real" gencon come August. Still, it's not the real gencon unless it's back in Milwaukee... boy, those were the days!

I don't know if you were there when it first went to Milwaukee from UW Parkside. What an eye-opener. Downtown looked just like downtown Detroit - adult bookstores were more than rampant, bums everywhere. Two years later the city was completely changed...bums me out that they moved it.

strato - wow 8O  I think my total is around 20 with about 18 years consecutive.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:37 am 

First time I went to gencon in Milwaukee was in 1992, although I was aware of the con when it was in Lake Geneva when, as a young boy - I rode along while my parents dropped off my older brother to attend. I didn't get to go, sadly. But I can say I was real close by, at least.  I have very fond memories of the gencon years 1992-1999 in Milwaukee.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:32 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Robot Devil, have you been to the SoCal version before? I've been to all three, and ... well ... it wasn't always a perfect experience. Not that, overall, I didn't have fun each time, but I think the Anaheim event is having some growing pains.

I've been to 'em all too, although last year was the first time I went for the entire weekend. It's small sure, and there are many growing pains, but I can't really afford the trip out to Indie by myself. Since I live down in SoCal, there's no plane tix, and I'm sharing rooms with friends, etc. so it makes it cheaper.

I had a pretty good time last year. I ran a game (old school Boot Hill, which was a blast!) and played in a few (some good, some not so good). This year I plan on running games exclusively (if I run 5 or more games, they'll comp my pass, so I'm shooting for that).

If you're gonna show up this year Xaxaxe, we should plan a meet-up of some kind.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:35 pm 

Must...go...Gen..Con!   :D

Actually, I won't make it this year, but I have the jones for it, bad.  Once was not enough.

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:00 pm 

El Diablo Robotico wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:Robot Devil, have you been to the SoCal version before? I've been to all three, and ... well ... it wasn't always a perfect experience. Not that, overall, I didn't have fun each time, but I think the Anaheim event is having some growing pains.

I've been to 'em all too, although last year was the first time I went for the entire weekend. It's small sure, and there are many growing pains, but I can't really afford the trip out to Indie by myself. Since I live down in SoCal, there's no plane tix, and I'm sharing rooms with friends, etc. so it makes it cheaper.

I had a pretty good time last year. I ran a game (old school Boot Hill, which was a blast!) and played in a few (some good, some not so good). This year I plan on running games exclusively (if I run 5 or more games, they'll comp my pass, so I'm shooting for that).

If you're gonna show up this year Xaxaxe, we should plan a meet-up of some kind.

Way back in the day you only had to run a single event to get a full weekend judges pass. Then they upped to same or multiple events with at least three time slots.

For some reason, I think they even used to pay you $10 (gift certificate for the dealer hall)...but that was quite some time ago.

edit: Just remembered! They gave you $1 for each ticket your event sold plus the four day judge pass. Not a bad deal. We ran a huge (for us AD&D open style tournament one year (1988 or so) and sold out the thing with 256 tickets. What a blast that was.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:05 pm 

Thinking ahead...

I was at the SoCals from the start but had to miss last year; too much holiday season work up here. But I'll be there this year for sure, as it's before Thanksgiving.

(For you Euros, that's a quaint observance here in the Americas during which we all eat so much we can only totter over to the sofas and collapse and watch the telly, the latter activity often focused on displays of competing tribes running back and forth on a field of grass defaced in striped fashion by chemical treatments.)

PreviousNext