AD&D Play By Mail Game?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:03 pm 

simrion wrote in AD&D Play By Mail Game?:D&D PBM...who'd a thunk it? Completely off my radar, now I wants...sigh

All has a price... But this one doesn't come cheap. Rarer than woodgrain boxes it seems!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:20 pm 

gregory wrote in AD&D Play By Mail Game?:I was lucky to get a couple D&D PBMs. One is complete, I think. Those are the rarest "mass-produced" items in my now 3,000+ RPG item collection I believe. I would suggest Acaeum adds it to the rare list. How often does it get updated?

It's on the list to be added (since about 2003).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:20 pm 

dbartman wrote in AD&D Play By Mail Game?:
It's on the list to be added (since about 2003).

Lol. Ok we won't hold our breath.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:27 pm 

Speaking of the devil...  :D

There is one up by a blocked seller on ebay.

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:36 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in AD&D Play By Mail Game?:Speaking of the devil...  :D

There is one up by a blocked seller on ebay.

-SKA

Yup and it looks like a nice one too. "She" blocked me early in my collector journey, as soon as I called out one of her descriptions as misleading. Big mistake, given how much I spent since.... but better for me and anyone to stay away! Note she is also still on this forum under a different username, based on some other source. Hi there, if and when you read this!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:22 pm 

It’s overpriced.  The seller must be relying on this new trend of people spending their money like Steve Buscemi did before the meteor crisis was averted.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:58 pm 

Well it's only about $1500 too high.

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:22 pm 

stratochamp wrote in AD&D Play By Mail Game?:Well it's only about $1500 too high.

Are you saying she should give you $250 for taking it, Bill?

This is rarer than a woodgrain, no? So I would actually tend to think it has generally been underpriced.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:25 pm 

gregory wrote in AD&D Play By Mail Game?:This is rarer than a woodgrain, no? So I would actually tend to think it has generally been underpriced.

Hear my words, young grasshopper. There was once a man who thought rarity should equal value, & then he was eaten by a tiger along with his entire extended family. It is in times like these we turn to the "Sayings of stratochamp."

Surya the First: Shrink is not a condition.

Surya the Second: Rarity is not the same as value.

Surya the Third: I keep more D&D products stored in my bathroom alone than you will see in your entire life.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:59 pm 

gregory wrote in AD&D Play By Mail Game?:

When I typed that she was selling this for $1699.95. I was implying it is a $200 item.

She has since dropped the price to $1199.95. But that reckoning it is now only $1000 too high. But I was being a little tongue in cheek. Certainly other D&D adjacent items that are not actually role-playing like this have gone up in price (like a bolotomus or shrinkwrapped boxes of D&D minis or TSR catalogs or earlier GenCon programs) such that this is probably now a $300 item. My real point of course was to say that the seller was throwing a nobleknight-like dart at the wall to determine the price hoping someone would pay it. She has already dropped it $500. And if I had to guess she probably paid $20 for it. All of the above of course represents only MY personal opinion. YMMV

P.S. I don't keep any of my books in the bathroom. Well maybe there's a reading copy of Fantasy Wargaming.

Shrink is not a condition

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:21 pm 

stratochamp wrote in AD&D Play By Mail Game?:
P.S. I don't keep any of my books in the bathroom. Well maybe there's a reading copy of Fantasy Wargaming.

There's been talk in the past about how some issues of Dragon magazine are worthwhile packaging material or maybe even toilet paper.   :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:34 am 

stratochamp wrote in AD&D Play By Mail Game?:

When I typed that she was selling this for $1699.95. I was implying it is a $200 item.

She has since dropped the price to $1199.95. But that reckoning it is now only $1000 too high. But I was being a little tongue in cheek. Certainly other D&D adjacent items that are not actually role-playing like this have gone up in price (like a bolotomus or shrinkwrapped boxes of D&D minis or TSR catalogs or earlier GenCon programs) such that this is probably now a $300 item. My real point of course was to say that the seller was throwing a nobleknight-like dart at the wall to determine the price hoping someone would pay it. She has already dropped it $500. And if I had to guess she probably paid $20 for it. All of the above of course represents only MY personal opinion. YMMV

Thanks for the clarifications, Bill. With all the respect and even admiration that you know I have for you, I think you seriously need to adjust your pricing framework on this one. Based on recent pricing history I am aware of, even though we are talking just a few transactions, this is already worth a multiple of the price you suggest.

This is similar to the Acaeum price list, which - while still incredibly useful - is vastly off now unless one uses it for bulk collection purchases 'on the low'. I just sold a woodgrain in Fair condition for $7K that is listed as worth only $2,581 on the Acaeum list. My transaction price was completely in line with recent trends on that item... A VF 2nd print woodgrain sold for 18.5K or so at gameholecon while being priced at $7,758 by Acaeum. I have similar facts and ebay history on a majority of the items in the Acaeum list.

The Acaeum list now shows almost all prices as declining, which looks more like wishful-thinking than reality for the time being. This is a similar pattern - of underestimating prices based on long past history - to the one we saw in the Wilmark Dynasty thread comments by some respectable collectors, although I agree that we need to see more data on that one now that it is owned by one collector promoting those items more actively.

Now before I unleash a storm, I am not saying the price trend over the past couple of years is right or wrong (unlike many of the unbiased pricing experts on this forum ;) ), but I'm saying those collectors with extensive experience are largely "smoothing out" recent price patterns by averaging prices since the creation of acaeum (in the case of the price list), apparently without even an adjustment for past inflation. Certainly prices could come crashing down but for now this is not the direction we anticipate, given how many green bills have been printed the last couple years, and how many Green Bills (pun intended. I mean new collectors such as me - and I will take "Young Grasshopper" any day as I haven't been called young in a while... ) have risen from the dead! I also think prices are greatly affected by marketing activities, such as writing about an item on the Acaeum forum ;)

If I may add, as I don't think it was overly private... I also recall a chat with you on that very same PBM item at the last Garycon where you dismissed it as of little interest to you as you "mostly collect modules" (and I know you collect much more than modules, but those are the humble words I recall). Hopefully I paraphrase correctly, if not please correct me. I am curious why the sentiment? It sounds like this item would do wonder to take your bathroom collection to the next level, if I hear you right? ;)

Last edited by gregory on Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:32 am, edited 15 times in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:40 am 

benjoshua wrote in AD&D Play By Mail Game?:
There's been talk in the past about how some issues of Dragon magazine are worthwhile packaging material or maybe even toilet paper.   :?

Send those to me. I will even pay for shipping. You can include FIAT currency too, as there's been similar talk about that in the past. Oh and avengers comics, pokemon and sports cards too! ;)

Previous