TSR Catalog/Advertising Mock Ups
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:02 am 

I have recently been scanning items into inventory and have been paging through the older Dragons and various catalogs. In these they show items with very different art than the items were eventually released with. Does anyone know if copies of the items with this art exist or if the art was ever really produced or are they all artist mock ups?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:11 am 

Most of those pre-production modules have artwork lifted from some other source.  Several of these pre-production modules featured artwork from Dragon magazine, for instance.

None were actually printed, as far as I know.  They were just to give the cameras something to photograph in advance of the module actually being released.

Foul

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:27 am 

Catalogs, especially, can have massive lead times, forcing writers, editors, paste-up people — everyone involved, really — to just make do with something.

What you're seeing is mostly just folks trying to get the damn catalog out the door, not necessarily pieces of D&D history.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:30 am 

Not to mention that there are some items listed in the catalogs that were renumbered or not even produced at all.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:35 am 

Well, while the products never existed with the "alternate" covers that appear in the catalogs, the ARTWORK does exist. While some are pulled from other sources, many of them are distinct, unique paintings. They are called "comps" and were usually painted by freelancers - Den Beauvais did a lot of them, for example. (The staff guys did some, too, of course.)

They were created in large bunches specifically for the catalog, and then were usually given to the final cover artist to use as a prelim.

HOWEVER - some of those comps actually did find their way on to covers. Several of Den's comps for the AMAZING ENGINE line actually appeared as the final covers (due to budget issues), and the cover to the Ravenloft boxed set NIGHTMARE LANDS is actually Den's catalog comp. Robh Ruppel was to do the final cover, but he did a piece that was drastically different from the comp (and much better). The TSR boss at the time was so incensed at Robh's "insubordination" that she refused to use his painting and published the comp instead.

Pat

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:27 am 

which reminds me Foul, any chance of putting those up on the site that I scanned way back when...
Brette:)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:06 am 

* rummages in filing cabinet *

I suppose I need to get those into the next update!  You submitted that stuff two years ago, Brett.  I will endeavor to get off my ass.

Foul

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:05 am 

tsrart wrote:Well, while the products never existed with the "alternate" covers that appear in the catalogs, the ARTWORK does exist. While some are pulled from other sources, many of them are distinct, unique paintings. They are called "comps" and were usually painted by freelancers - Den Beauvais did a lot of them, for example. (The staff guys did some, too, of course.)

They were created in large bunches specifically for the catalog, and then were usually given to the final cover artist to use as a prelim.

HOWEVER - some of those comps actually did find their way on to covers. Several of Den's comps for the AMAZING ENGINE line actually appeared as the final covers (due to budget issues), and the cover to the Ravenloft boxed set NIGHTMARE LANDS is actually Den's catalog comp. Robh Ruppel was to do the final cover, but he did a piece that was drastically different from the comp (and much better). The TSR boss at the time was so incensed at Robh's "insubordination" that she refused to use his painting and published the comp instead.

Pat

So I guess the next question would be what happened to teh comps. Were they given back to the artist, staff, held in storage somewhere or pulped? One of the places that I noticed it most in was the 1992 Fall/Winter Catalog. There is a very high number of items that have alternate art.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:06 am 

Marlith wrote:
tsrart wrote:Well, while the products never existed with the "alternate" covers that appear in the catalogs, the ARTWORK does exist. While some are pulled from other sources, many of them are distinct, unique paintings. They are called "comps" and were usually painted by freelancers - Den Beauvais did a lot of them, for example. (The staff guys did some, too, of course.)

Pat

So I guess the next question would be what happened to teh comps. Were they given back to the artist, staff, held in storage somewhere or pulped? One of the places that I noticed it most in was the 1992 Fall/Winter Catalog. There is a very high number of items that have alternate art.

We have several "comps" from Jeff Easley and Scott Burdick that were used for TSR's catalogs. The Burdick prelims can be really cool. Almost as good as a finished cover.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:05 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote:
Marlith wrote:

Pat

We have several "comps" from Jeff Easley and Scott Burdick that were used for TSR's catalogs. The Burdick prelims can be really cool. Almost as good as a finished cover.

So did you aquire them from the artists or TSR/WotC?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:07 pm 

Most of the marketing junk went into the trash. When I was saving originals from the dumpster, I never paid any heed to those items.

Except for one... and I'm sure nobody would be interested in the Dallas RPG and Dallas miniatures, mocked up as TSR items but never produced (no text, just mockups).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:14 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Most of the marketing junk went into the trash. When I was saving originals from the dumpster, I never paid any heed to those items.

Except for one... and I'm sure nobody would be interested in the Dallas RPG and Dallas miniatures, mocked up as TSR items but never produced (no text, just mockups).

Thats a shame. Some of the comps actually looked to be better than what was eventually used....well at least IMHO.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:33 pm 

I've got a comp for my module "The Veiled Society" around somewhere. It's mounted on foamcore. Many comps were actually mounted and used at trade shows and sales meetings to display the upcoming catalog.

Zeb

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:40 pm 

Zeb, izzat really YOU? Great to cya here!

Frank Mentzer

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:41 pm 

Zeb wrote:I've got a comp for my module "The Veiled Society" around somewhere. It's mounted on foamcore. Many comps were actually mounted and used at trade shows and sales meetings to display the upcoming catalog.

Zeb

I am not sure i have seen the alternative art for it. Any chance you would be willing to post a scan of it?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:12 pm 

Marlith wrote:
So did you aquire them from the artists or TSR/WotC?

We picked up a couple from the artists and a few from other art collectors. None came from TSR/WOTC. I think we also have a John & Laura Lakey mock-up somewhere.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:50 pm 

Anybody know whether this mockup (or whatever it is) was re-used on a TSR product other than the MM1 reissued cover?