Q&A with Greg Stafford
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:47 am 

Hi:

Greg contacted me and asked me to pass along that he will be incommunicado for a couple of weeks:

He's going to Continuum and traveling overseas.

So, check back here in a couple weeks for more updates.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:55 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Meaning no disrespect at all to Rob Kuntz and his latest project, but this idea I would pay to see developed.

Thanks for liking the concept.  It always seemed to me that the classic quests in Camelot ought to be available from all three perspectives in the game, so that you can seek the grail, or the sword/spear, or the true cross/world tree or ... and that whoever succeeds affects the shape of the kingship and of the land.

These days I just don't have the time, though with OSRIC I'm tempted to sell the remaining material I've kept around (my old brown boxed set, that sort of thing).

Even more, I'm excited to see what Greg does next.

Regards,

Stephen

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:49 am 

I'll post a question in Greg's absence and eagerly await a possible answer...

Does Pendragon second edition exist?

Seems pretty simple on the surface.  It makes sense that after first edition would come second edition, before moving on to third.  Except that the only reference to it is in the Noble's Book, and I can't find any information about it in Net searching...

Thanks!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:08 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:I'll post a question in Greg's absence and eagerly await a possible answer...

Does Pendragon second edition exist?

Seems pretty simple on the surface.  It makes sense that after first edition would come second edition, before moving on to third.  Except that the only reference to it is in the Noble's Book, and I can't find any information about it in Net searching...

Thanks!

Sorry, I don't have a pic, but Pendragon 2nd edition does exist.  It contains 3 books in a box set.  Book's are entitled:  Squire's book, Knight's book and King's book.  Also came with dice.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:21 pm 

I have some question about Different Worlds: why did Chaosium decide to publish its own magazine? Was it successful? What was the average print run of an issue, especially the later ones? Why did DW left Chaosium along Tadashi Ehara? Was the split amicable?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:41 pm 

Alexander1968 wrote:I have some question about Different Worlds: why did Chaosium decide to publish its own magazine? Was it successful? What was the average print run of an issue, especially the later ones? Why did DW left Chaosium along Tadashi Ehara? Was the split amicable?

It seemed successful, and Tadashi acted as if the split was amicable.

He's around, someone should ask him.

Regards,

Stephen

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:20 am 

Ethesis wrote:
It seemed successful, and Tadashi acted as if the split was amicable.

He's around, someone should ask him.

I asked him for an interview a couple of times, but he declined  :(

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:11 am 

Greg Stafford wrote:Ah yes, that was another version of the same game.
The interior never appreciably changed, just the box.
I remember that for that one we never had a finished box cover, just a black color separation and the colors on another one.

Greg just poitned me toward this discussion, and I wanted to offer some info on this old question.

There were three printings of the Elric board game.

The first was called "Elric" and it was published in 1977 by The Chaosium. THe game was sold in a ziplock bag wiht a digest-sized rules book, cardstock sheets for the various countries (mine are laminated, though I don't know if they were originally) and a glossy full-color map of the Young Kingdoms, with the balance track running along the top.

The second was "Elric: Battle at the End of Time" and was published in 1981, the same year as the Stormbringer game. It comes wiht a new full-color paper map of the Young Kingdoms with the balance toward the right. Much of the rulebook is identical with reorganization, except the new game adds several scenarios. This edition is sold in a box labeled 1003-X.

The third was "Elric" published in 1984 by Avalon Hill. I believe it's a substantially identical game too, but my rulebook has gone missing from last time I was reading through the rules. It's Avalon Hill item 850.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:14 am 

MShipley88 wrote:I wonder if you have any recall of the early versions of Stormbringer.

The first box was two inches thick.  

The second box was a one inch box and the contents had been combined in a single book.

As far as I can tell, the two versions were published very close together.

Can you recall why the change between editions, or any other details?

I detailed both of these here:
http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=1074

Click on the "first" and "second" editions in the edition sections. The main difference is organization. However, there are a full 4 years between the publications.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:46 am 

This is a very interesting website...surprised my searches have not turned it up before.

Elric! is treated as an entirely separate game from Stormbringer.

Interesting to find that there was such a gap between the first two versions of the game.  I know of at least one alternative booklet...but the version I am thinking of was French, and so might have been very different indeed.

One piece of information that eludes me is why Chaosium did not continue publishing the D20 version of their game.   They put out Dragon Lords of Melnibone and Slaves of Fate, and then abandoned Straits of Chaos and Cults of Law and Chaos before publication.

Then, in the very same year (2001), Chaosium put out a fifth edition of Stormbringer, which they almost immediately ceased supporting.

Why?

[/i]

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:11 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Elric! is treated as an entirely separate game from Stormbringer.

Elric! was rewritten from scratch and is a very different game. Stormbringer Fifth edition is the same game as Elric! with a lot looser layout and some additional cults & info on later books.

Interesting to find that there was such a gap between the first two versions of the game.  I know of at least one alternative booklet...but the version I am thinking of was French, and so might have been very different indeed.

Yep, the RPGnet Gaming Index is explicitly English only at this point.

One piece of information that eludes me is why Chaosium did not continue publishing the D20 version of their game.   They put out Dragon Lords of Melnibone and Slaves of Fate, and then abandoned Straits of Chaos and Cults of Law and Chaos before publication.

I couldn't tell you that. Charlie Krank and/or Lynn Willis would be the ones to ask.

Then, in the very same year (2001), Chaosium put out a fifth edition of Stormbringer, which they almost immediately ceased supporting.

Again, dunno, though one thing to keep in mind is that Dragon Lords of Melnibone and Stormbringer Fifth edition use almost exactly the same text, with just the game mechanics changed.

I'd always assumed that it was an attempt to use the d20 license to draw people back into the BRP-system game. And for that the BRP system game needs to be in print, hence at least a new printing, but as Greg said a new edition is even more likely to get lots of books out into shops.

So they put out Dragon Lords (March), then Stormbringer (dunno when as my copy is with my game group), then Slaves of Fate (December), and then (this is speculation) the d20 supplements sell weaker than was hoped, and the idea is abandoned. This was two years before the d20 market went weak, but it would still be easy for individual books to sell poorly.

SHannon

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:32 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Sorry, I don't have a pic, but Pendragon 2nd edition does exist.  It contains 3 books in a box set.  Book's are entitled:  Squire's book, Knight's book and King's book.  Also came with dice.

Have you actually touched a copy? I've never seen one here in the Bay Area,  or even in Chaosium's archive, so my guess has long been "no".  What you describe, however, is definitely what the 2nd edition was supposed to contain.

Greg thinks it might have been swallowed up by the Chaosium decision to step away from boxes due to the labor issues of collation.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:44 pm 

ShannonA wrote:
Have you actually touched a copy? I've never seen one here in the Bay Area,  or even in Chaosium's archive, so my guess has long been "no".  What you describe, however, is definitely what the 2nd edition was supposed to contain.

Greg thinks it might have been swallowed up by the Chaosium decision to step away from boxes due to the labor issues of collation.

That's what my research has turned up too - the only mention of those contents seems to be in the Noble's Book.

Also, the first paragraph of the Designer's Notes in 3E reads:

"First edition Pendragon was released in 1985 and met with rave reviews, rapid sales, and immediately upon its heels, financial and personal crises which kept it out of print until this revised release."

That's not conclusive either, but I think that leans toward "no".

I'm crossing it off my list unless someone can prove it exists. :D

Thanks for the response!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:34 pm 

By the way, Shannon...I don't know your connection to Chaosium.  How about an introduction?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:50 pm 

I've been a fan of Chaosium since about 1985 when I started running Stormbringer (I still have my beat-to-heck second edition box) and playing RuneQuest.

In 1992 I started editing the Chaosium Digest, an Internet-based compendium of all things Chaosium. I ran it until 1997 or so, when I handed it off. I also ran RQ-Con2 in 1994 with my friend Eric Friend and lots of support from Greg & Chaosium.

In 1996, in the wake of Mythos bringing new money into Chaosium, I started working for them and continued to do so for two and a half years. I mostly did layout & editing work for the Call of Cthulhu game, though I did development for Mythos, a tiny bit of Pendragon work, and took care of our web site, mailing list, and Internet FAQs.

I've since stayed in touch with Greg & Issaries, Pete & Green Knight, and Eric & Wizard's Attic and to a lesser extent Charlie & Chaosium. I also recently helped to get Arkham Horror back to market with the company I work for now, Skotos.

Right now I'm doing some writing for HeroQuest and am also working on a history of Chaosium that's going to get published on RPGnet at the start of September. (I recently published a Wizards of the Coast article there this month.)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:36 am 

Greetings,

I am backhome now from Continuum, whose convention report ought to be on the glorantha.com website soon.
My internet connection was not working when I arrived, and it's taken almos a week to sort that out, but I'm here now and will be replying to the questions.
Keep 'em coming folks! This is fun.

Greg Stafford
Game designer, Creator of Glorantha

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:41 am 

How did the idea for a Call of Cthulhu RPG come about? (I mean, when I say a "Call of Cthulhu RPG" it makes me wonder what I'll be doing besides burning all the books, running away from things and refusing to read the notes of missing professors.) What was your first thought when the idea was presented?

The original suggestion for it came from a freelancer who wanted to do the game. My first thoughts were, "Oh man, that overrated writer?" That is, I was an English major snob, and thought that HPL's writing was terrible. But nonetheless, I have always admired the debt we owe to the "three biggies" of the early fantasy American literature (R.E.Howard, H.P.Lovecraft and C.A.Smith) After some discussion,  I was happy to go for it.
The original author failed to meet the deadline several times. We had already contracted with Arkham House for the rights and paid a huge (for its time) advance so I was distressed at the thought of losing that.
I was fortunate, though, that I was in correspondence with Steve Marsh at the time over the HeroQuest project, and he mentioned that he'd been in a great RQ horror game at college with a guy who had werewolves, ghosts and Lovecraft monsters in it. I asked who it was and learned it was Sandy Petersen, who'd just submitted a book that was afterwards published as the RuneQuest Gateway Bestiary, which included Lovecraft monsters. I asked him if he wanted to take a stab at creating an entire game, and he agreed. We sketched the barest requirements, waited, and Sandy submitted the game to us.
It was on time (a real rarity in gaming!) and well written (another real rarity!) and more importantly—to our delight—was original in that it added Sanity. That was entirely Sandy's idea.
We sat down to test play it. After the first game we agreed, "It works, but boy are we depressed!" We played it again, and thought, "It really does work, but why would anyone want to play this more than once?"
So we changed one thing: we made a way to regain Sanity. Then we edited it and got it into print.
How did Chaosium acquire the license for such a huge literary phenomenon? Was it negotiated directly with Arkham House?

It was pretty easy, since no one was doing anything like this in those days. We did negotiate directly with Arkham House for the rights, which we acquired after payment of a significant advance payment. We paid them royalties regularly and I am pretty sure we financed an entire reprint of the HPL works by them with our royalty payments.
(And, did the people at Arkham house have scary voices or extra appendages?)

Only their lawyers and agents. :)
There must be some potential for real problems in dealing with a writing project shared by so many well-known and little-known authors...?

Sure was, and we stepped on some toes at first. The rights are pretty complicated and we messed up a couple of times so we had to go back and negotiate with individual writers. They were all, eventually, amenable, and we ploughed forward.
How does a company like Chaosium decide what to do next with such a successful publishing project as the Call of Cthulhu RPG?

Well, first we decided to print it. Sandy sent us the first supplement for it, and it pretty much took off by itself after that. That was the biggest sign of success: it generated its own submitted scenarios. We've never had to pull teeth to get scenarios, like we did for other games. It just sailed on its own. Our decisions to expand the line to modern, Victorian, etc. eras most often came right from the authors. Our decision was whether to agree or not.
Also, do you have any recollection of average print runs for some of those editions and modules?
Not exactly, but in those days we almost always printed 5,000 of an item. We generally had an autoship of 2,000-3,000 and gauged the success on how quickly the rest of the print run sold out. Cthulhu items sold out quickly, in less than a year, so we generally did reprints of about 3,000.

Greg Stafford

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:42 am 

Hi Greg, out of curiosity, are you gonna go to SoCal GenCon this year?

No. I only attend conventions now when I am paid air fare, food and lodging. But I almost always attend those where I get that! So please, organizers, invite me!

Greg Stafford

PreviousNext