Q&A with Greg Stafford
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:09 pm 

Thanks Vile, I didn't know this thread existed!

A few questions for Greg:

1. How did the Friends of Glorantha initiative work out, from your perspective? Did it result in a finished manuscript? (I was a member for a while, but stopped getting updates/reminders and just forgot about it...)

2. There have been scattered references over the years to an updated version of the Gloranthan boardgame Dragon Pass - is this still being worked on?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:56 pm 

MonkeyBees wrote:Thanks Vile, I didn't know this thread existed!
1. How did the Friends of Glorantha initiative work out, from your perspective? Did it result in a finished manuscript? (I was a member for a while, but stopped getting updates/reminders and just forgot about it...)

Do you mean the GTA, Glorantha Trading Association?
Where I collected money to publish Heroquest?

2. There have been scattered references over the years to an updated version of the Gloranthan boardgame Dragon Pass - is this still being worked on?

Yes it is
It's a nice game and I like it
It is stalled at finding a publisher right now

Greg Stafford
Game designer, Creator of Glorantha

Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:30 pm 

Greg Stafford wrote:Do you mean the GTA, Glorantha Trading Association?
Where I collected money to publish Heroquest?

Sorry for being unclear. I believe Fabian Kuechler was the driving force behind Friends of Glorantha, which contributed to work on "Harmast's Saga".

Glad to hear a new release of Dragon Pass is a possibility, and I hope to see the day when I can buy a copy or three  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:04 pm 

MonkeyBees wrote:
Sorry for being unclear. I believe Fabian Kuechler was the driving force behind Friends of Glorantha, which contributed to work on "Harmast's Saga".

Ah, of course.
Yes, it helped a lot. The results of it were: 1. Some money coming in when I really needed it; 2. a finished first draft of a Gloranthan novel.  
Glad to hear a new release of Dragon Pass is a possibility, and I hope to see the day when I can buy a copy or three  :wink:

Believe me, your urge is no greater than mine, and much much less than that of the designer.

Greg Stafford

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm 

Greg Stafford wrote:Believe me, your urge is no greater than mine, and much much less than that of the designer.

Can one ask who the designer is, if it's not hush-hush?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:27 am 

Vile wrote:Can one ask who the designer is, if it's not hush-hush?

a gentleman named Steve Hope.

Greg Stafford

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:50 am 

*Edit* I've realised this forum is for real-world questions, I might just have to sign up to the YahooGroup to ask my Gloranthan question...

p.s. fingers crossed for the new RuneQuest...

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:24 pm 

PhilHibbs wrote:*Edit* I've realised this forum is for real-world questions, I might just have to sign up to the YahooGroup to ask my Gloranthan question...

p.s. fingers crossed for the new RuneQuest...

That's great news about RQ6, congratulations to all involved. I'm very excited to see what Gloranthan content will be released for it.

I'd like to see RQ6 continue with the Second Age (or even the First, lots of opportunities there too). I don't think Mongoose RQ was relatively unsuccessful because it was set in the Second Age, but rather because it got off to kind of a shaky start quality- and content-wise. Supplements written by authors who know Glorantha deeply and who take time to write quality stuff will find an audience.

While exciting and momentous, the Lunar-Sartar conflict isn't the only potentially interesting campaign:

* An Elf campaign where the players are sons of Errinoru, starting off fighting the God Learners in the forests of Pamaltela, then growing their living fleet and harrying Western coasts, culminating in sailing down Magasta's Pool into the Underworld...

* A Sendereven campaign where the players brave the many terrors of Sramak's River, help the Altinae repel yet another Chaos invasion, visit Luathela for outerworldly supplies and even sail the Celestial River for adventure.

* Players are Western lords participating in Arkat's campaigns, starting with the war against the Vampire King of Tanisor. If they survive many years of conflict, they could participate in the final climactic battle in the City of Miracles.

Just a few ideas I thought would be fun  :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:57 pm 

Question for Greg - what prompted the new website The Stafford Codex - are we likely to see new Gloranthan material? (Actually what has me excited are the Oaxaca pages.)

Last edited by Vile on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:09 pm 

Vile wrote in Q&A with Greg Stafford:Question for Greg - what prompted the new website The Stafford Codex - are we likely to see new Gloranthan material? (Actually what has me excited are the Oaxaca pages.)

I quite foolishly allowed my ownership of my previous domain to lapse, and it was seized by some pirates. I had thought they would try to ransom it back to me, but I was never contacted, nor am I interested in contacting them.

Malcolm Wolter is a partner in the Nocturnal King Arthur Pendragon enterprise that is currently cranking our the new material for the game. He had been encouraging me to make a new website for quite a while, being unappreciative of my clunky self-produced amateur site based on html. He graciously offered to set up a new one for me, and after some design decisions created what you see now.
It is at staffordcodex.com
I am unlikely to create much new Gloranthan material for it. My dear world is in the safe, secure, and creative hands of Moon Design now and if I do anything new for it the material will probably appear there on their site.
New Pendragon material will appear on my Pendragon site, which is due for its own makeover at some point.
I will, however, be posting some new material on my favorite new project, a book on Oaxacan prehistory, stories and adventures of my wife and I while we lived there visiting ruins, studying Zapotec shamanic medicine, and making some wonderful friends. Oh yea, we also taught English.
I will also be posting biographical and whimsical material on it.
Thanks you for asking!

Greg Stafford

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:59 pm 

Greg Stafford wrote in Q&A with Greg Stafford:
Vile wrote in Q&A with Greg Stafford:(Actually what has me excited are the Oaxaca pages.)
I will, however, be posting some new material on my favorite new project, a book on Oaxacan prehistory, stories and adventures of my wife and I while we lived there visiting ruins, studying Zapotec shamanic medicine, and making some wonderful friends.

Ha, couldn't have asked for a better response than that!  8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:18 am 

In the wake of the band getting back together, are you considering that it would now be possible for Chaosium to re-issue a lot of their old Gloranthan products, at least in PDF and PoD, like WotC did with their "every edition available again" initiative? I would love to be able to get a complete set of Wyrm's Footnotes, for example, even if only in electronic format.

Dungeons & Dragons Classics - Every edition available again

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:13 pm 

Vile wrote in Q&A with Greg Stafford:In the wake of the band getting back together, are you considering that it would now be possible for Chaosium to re-issue a lot of their old Gloranthan products, at least in PDF and PoD, like WotC did with their "every edition available again" initiative? I would love to be able to get a complete set of Wyrm's Footnotes, for example, even if only in electronic format.
Dungeons & Dragons Classics - Every edition available again

As you may have learned already, I have had to withdraw from active management of Chaosium due to medical issues
Moon Design has taken over the administration
I am confident they will pursue every possible revenue stream
Feel free, though, to make suggestions and requests of them through the Chaosium website

Greg Stafford

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:21 am 

I noticed of course that Rick had nabbed the big fancy chair, but I'm sorry to hear health issues are the cause. I hope everything turns out all right and you get to enjoy a well-earned and somewhat more relaxing break / retirement than getting the Chaosium back on its legs would have been. Wait, did I give away my age by adding "the" in front of Chaosium there?  :P

I'm happy to note that Rick has posted elsewhere on this board indicating that back-catalogue PDFs may indeed be in the offing, so it certainly looks like that avenue for throwing money at you guys is going to open up.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:43 pm 

Vile wrote in Q&A with Greg Stafford:I noticed of course that Rick had nabbed the big fancy chair, but I'm sorry to hear health issues are the cause. I hope everything turns out all right and you get to enjoy a well-earned and somewhat more relaxing break / retirement than getting the Chaosium back on its legs would have been.

I am certainly in better shape than the week end after the Chaosium difficulty
But the truth is, I am getting old and some things simply do not work as well as they used to
I plan to be around for much longer

Wait, did I give away my age by adding "the" in front of Chaosium there?  :P

Only to old timers! :D

I'm happy to note that Rick has posted elsewhere on this board indicating that back-catalogue PDFs may indeed be in the offing, so it certainly looks like that avenue for throwing money at you guys is going to open up.

Yes, good

Greg Stafford

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:07 am 

Mr. Stafford,

No actual questions...yet, but just a thank you for Pendragon. It was a wonderful encounter for me, a birthday present for my 16th birthday, 30 years ago this past May.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:48 am 

Was neat to catch up with the forums and to read this.  ;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:40 am 

In the original Nobles book published by Chaosium that I have, copyright 1986, on pp. 19 and 26 a 'book of Knights' and subsequently a 'Knight's book' are mentioned. The book is mentioned as part of the 1e system as a reference.

I cannot find that book.

Any ideas what is being referenced there?

Thank you.

PreviousNext