Q&A with Greg Stafford
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:42 am 

g026r wrote:King Arthur Companion

This book's existence plays on what makes RPGs interesting: it blurs the line between fantasy & reality, thus creating a trans-dimensional portal for the movement of otherworldly entities.

It was the intriguing aspect of it all to me as a kid in the 1970s. What exactly were these new RPG books showing up in hobby shops? They seemed to refer to events happening in the game as if they were really occurring on the material plane.

By 1983 that element had faded, but publication of The King Arthur Companion was a step in the right direction. The fact that it's appeared since in a non-gaming edition keeps the line nice & blurry, pretty much the way I like to approach reality in general.

Similar philosophies are found in 4th ed. Co'C. A few real-life books such as the Kabbalah or Frazer's Golden Bough are among the Mythos canon, resulting in sanity damage when read [or enlightenment, depending upon your perspective].

5th ed. dumbed it down- only reading the entire out-of-print 13 volume edition of Frazer would affect sanity, & then only for the frustrating time spent on it rather than true Mythos material.

Fools! Fools & unbelievers! The truly wise [or insane] know it's only by excising the obsolete psychological analyses that the work becomes a simple long litany of sacrificial practices, a ritual incantation of what is pleasing to our Lord & Master.

Oh wait I guess I've drifted off topic [sanity damage will do that to you] & should really phrase this as a question for Mr. Stafford. Here goes: which activity produces more real-life Cthulhu Mythos understanding- reading a modern edit of Frazer while contemplating mayhem, or reading a modern coffee-table volume of Kabbalah while listening to Madonna?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:11 am 

:lol:

Personally I think spending time in a dull office job should lose you d10 SAN each year.  Plus a POW drain...

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:21 am 

red_bus wrote::lol:

Personally I think spending time in a dull office job should lose you d10 SAN each year.  Plus a POW drain...

I think that you could make an argument for having different professions within an office environment.
In some situations specific individuals would be the ones draining the POW.  :P

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:11 am 

Greg Stafford wrote:100%! I've loved the epic for decades. Doing the game was fulfilling a lifetime goal. Doing The Great Pendragon Campaign fulfilled another. It allowed me to crunch 40 years of interest and study into one publication.

I was impressed by The Boy King because of its distilling of Arthurian lore into a timeline and a believable set of events.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:46 pm 

No Dice wrote:
Thanks greatly for the info about Questworld. I've run a campaign there for 23 years and it's wonderful to hear some history behind that world.

Wow! What a thrill I got to hear that. Thanks.

Greg Stafford
Game designer, Creator of Glorantha

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:54 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
I was impressed by The Boy King because of its distilling of Arthurian lore into a timeline and a believable set of events.

Thank you. That was my objective.
I hope you got a copy of the Great Pendragon Campaign then. It includes the Boy King (with a few little changes) and also 25 yeas before it, and 35 years after it.

Greg Stafford

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:06 pm 

For anyone interested in more history of Chaosium,  I have begun to write my recollections and post them at

http://weareallus.com/chaosium/chaosiuminc.html

The site is under construction (I'll get pictures of the games on there, and fix those links that don't quite work, etc.)

But there is a fair amount of information about the earliest years, and about board games, already posted.

Enjoy!

Greg Stafford

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:29 pm 

Greg Stafford wrote:

The next item for Pendragon will be The Pendagon Book of the Manor that is I'll be release in a week or two.

I recently won this version of the Book of the Manor, which now it has arrived I have had a chance to read...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0184632683

And it is great.  If this is what you are releasing, bravo!!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:31 pm 

red_bus wrote:
I recently won this version of the Book of the Manor, which now it has arrived I have had a chance to read...

** expired/removed eBay auction **

And it is great.  If this is what you are releasing, bravo!!

Lucky you! That is a pre-production version that was made, t be sold in support of the th Chimeriades convention.

The one I am selling has the same content, but is much more handsome and professionally laid out.

Greg Stafford

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:44 pm 

Hi Greg,

I just read your article on Chaosium board games.  Very interesting!

The article seems to imply the 3rd edition of White Bear & Red Moon was published under the name Dragon Pass.  However, here are pictures of the 3rd edition WBRM that Chaosium put out in 1978.

My copy of Dragon Pass (Chaosium ed.) is dated 1980 on the cover of the rulebook.  My copy of Dragon Pass (Avalon Hill ed.) is dated 1984 on the back of the box.

There are pictures of the Hobby Japan Edition of Dragon Pass at BoardGameGeek.com.

Last edited by grubbiv on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:55 pm 

Hi Greg,

I was wondering about the Chaosium logo.  If I'm not mistaken, William Church did both the old version (c. 1978), which some people have described as a Wyvern, and the new, more heraldic version (c. 1980), which is maybe a griffon?  The griffon version appears enlarged on the Basic Role-Playing booklet, which begs the question what was the original, the logo or the artwork for BRP.  And was the logo all Church's idea, or did someone give him a suggestion?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:53 pm 

grubbiv wrote:Hi Greg,

I just read your article on Chaosium board games.  Very interesting!

Thank you. I am working on a similar one for the RPGs.

The article seems to imply the 3rd edition of White Bear & Red Moon was published under the name Dragon Pass.  However, here are pictures of the 3rd edition WBRM in Chaosium put out in 1978.

Hmmm, I will have to get together with some experts and clarify my data. I thought that was the second edition, but I see it says "second rewriting."

I'm selling a copy of this on eBay right now, btw. Unpunched.  

My copy of Dragon Pass (Chaosium ed.) is dated 1980 on the cover of the rulebook.  My copy of Dragon Pass (Avalon Hill ed.) is dated 1984 on the back of the box.

I will sort through this and make corrections.
I would like to have pictures of the covers of the various editions, or of their or, in the case of plastic bags, the rule covers.
I wrote those largely from memory, and welcome all corrections and so on.
There are pictures of the Hobby Japan Edition of Dragon Pass at BoardGameGeek.com.

Ooooh, yea. I know where I can get one of those.
Thank you!

Greg Stafford

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:57 pm 

grubbiv wrote:I was wondering about the Chaosium logo.  If I'm not mistaken, William Church did both the old version (c. 1978), which some people have described as a Wyvern, and the new, more heraldic version (c. 1980), which is maybe a griffon?

Both are dragons to me. :)
We got the new logo when we incorporated.
The griffon version appears enlarged on the Basic Role-Playing booklet, which begs the question what was the original, the logo or the artwork for BRP.  

The logo. We had the color cover commissioned afterwards.
And was the logo all Church's idea, or did someone give him a suggestion?

The suggestions were from me, originally. The execution was William's. I've got some alternatives to the first on around somewhere. If I can find them I'll post them on the site.

Greg Stafford

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:00 pm 

grubbiv wrote:However, here are pictures of the 3rd edition WBRM in Chaosium put out in 1978.

Boy, I was just looking at this again.
Look at those game prices!

Greg Stafford

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:37 pm 

grubbiv wrote:I was wondering about the Chaosium logo.  If I'm not mistaken, William Church did both the old version (c. 1978), which some people have described as a Wyvern

It's sometimes called the 'Wyrm' logo.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:55 am 

Hi Greg,

In the credits of that scanned version of White Bear & Red Moon there is mention in the credits of Corporal Zen "for making this whole thing possible".
Would you care to elaborate on who that individual is? Financial backer? Source of inspiration? Tulpa?

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:20 am 

Does Corporal Zen serve with General Apathy, Major Boredom & Private Parts?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:03 am 

Greg,

On the Chaosium "wyvern" (that is, the current) logo: the dragon has always looked familiar, as if it was based on some other source.

Is this the case, or am I just imagining things?

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

PreviousNext