Q&A with Greg Stafford
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:07 am 

Greg Stafford wrote:Oh, you mean my brand new just done (and still unfinished) web site at http://weareallus.com/pendragon/

That would be the one.  Do you plan on having commentary on all the different books by the time it's complete?

Also, getting away from gaming history for a moment, do you know if there are any plans for White Wolf to reprint the 5th ed. Pendragon books?

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:56 pm 

I was just reading a Pendragon publication just the other day, I believe it is called "The Boy King."  (Something like that.)

How much of Pendragon grew out of your own interest in Arthuriana?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:28 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I was just reading a Pendragon publication just the other day, I believe it is called "The Boy King."  (Something like that.)

How much of Pendragon grew out of your own interest in Arthuriana?

100%! I've loved the epic for decades. Doing the game was fulfilling a lifetime goal. Doing The Great Pendragon Campaign fulfilled another. It allowed me to crunch 40 years of interest and study into one publication.

Greg Stafford
Game designer, Creator of Glorantha

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:33 pm 

g026r wrote:
That would be the one.  Do you plan on having commentary on all the different books by the time it's complete?

Done! The whole line that I was involved with. There will be some moeof he pictures added, son, too.
Also, getting away from gaming history for a moment, do you know if there are any plans for White Wolf to reprint the 5th ed. Pendragon books?

No, I don't.
The next item for Pendragon will be The Pendagon Book of the Manor that is I'll be release in a week or two.

Greg Stafford

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:49 pm 

Idiot question for anyone who feels the need to answer, not just Mr Stafford.

So how do you pronounce Chaosium then?

I ask this because I have my way and I met a guy this evening (buying his old crap!) who said it totally differently - so  now I have doubt :D  8O

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:00 pm 

gyg wrote:So how do you pronounce Chaosium then?

I ask this because I have my way and I met a guy this evening (buying his old crap!) who said it totally differently - so  now I have doubt :D  8O

Kay ahs ee um
chaos ee um

Other people say it differently, and even Lynn Willis, who worked for me, pronounced it differently.
But I made it up, so I make myself the authority. :)

When I started the company I lived about a mile from the Oakland Coliseum, in a 4-room apartment, with my wife, our two kids, and a friend and his wife, and their two kids. i.e.- chaos

I considered spelling it Chaoseum, but I thought it looked funny.

Greg Stafford

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:59 pm 

cool - I was right all along!

:lol:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:16 am 

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your insights into the history of Glorantha/Chaosium.  If I may ask, what's the history behind the QuestWorld supplement? It seems as though it was intended to expand the BRP/RQ system in the market, but outside of an article or two in Different Worlds, nothing seems to have come from it. Did Chaosium ever collect enough manuscripts to consider any supplements?

Also, how did the Prince Valiant game come to be? It's a great system and translation of the Hal Foster comic. Seems like it was a labor of love, like Pendragon. Thanks again!

Best,
D. Jay

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:35 am 

There are two articles that you might find of interest, including one co-authored by Greg:

Different Worlds #17, December 1981
Questworld, Lynn Willis and Greg Stafford, pgs. 24-30. A super long ad for the boxed set.  It explains its purpose and the planet.

White Dwarf #38, February 1983
Questworld Preview, Oliver Dickinson & Bob McWilliams, pg 17. Submissions for the Games Workshop continent.

Hope that helps fuel the discussion,

Rick Meints

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:48 am 

g026r wrote:
Do you plan on having commentary on all the different books by the time it's complete?

Just a short note that ALL of my "History of My Pendragon Publications" has been posted now at
http://weareallus.com/pendragon/publica ... story.html

Greg Stafford

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:54 am 

No Dice wrote:Thanks for your insights into the history of Glorantha/Chaosium.  
If I may ask, what's the history behind the QuestWorld supplement? It seems as though it was intended to expand the BRP/RQ system in the market, but outside of an article or two in Different Worlds, nothing seems to have come from it.

That was indeed the intent. We were always trying to expand the settings. I knew that many people were playing RQ in their own settings, and I was hoping to attract them to submit their scenarios. I thought that we'd get a batch of separate scenarios, and that we could just pop them into the setting.
Did Chaosium ever collect enough manuscripts to consider any supplements?

No, much to our astonishment. And then we got involved with other projects and didn't have the energy to expand on this ourselves.
Also, how did the Prince Valiant game come to be? It's a great system and translation of the Hal Foster comic. Seems like it was a labor of love, like Pendragon.

It sure was.
I can not do better than to steer your to:
http://weareallus.com/pendragon/publica ... games.html

Greg Stafford

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:57 am 

No Dice wrote:Thanks for your insights into the history of Glorantha/Chaosium.  

It has been my pleasure to remember this stuff, and put it into print.
I've been inspired enough that I am also compiling a more detailed "History of Chaosium Publications" that I will put on my web site. Please do not hold you breaths for it, as it's petty long.
If I may ask, what's the history behind the QuestWorld supplement? It seems as though it was intended to expand the BRP/RQ system in the market, but outside of an article or two in Different Worlds, nothing seems to have come from it.

That was indeed the intent. We were always trying to expand the settings. I knew that many people were playing RQ in their own settings, and I was hoping to attract them to submit their scenarios. I thought that we'd get a batch of separate scenarios, and that we could just pop them into the setting.
Did Chaosium ever collect enough manuscripts to consider any supplements?

No, much to our astonishment. And then we got involved with other projects and didn't have the energy to expand on this ourselves.
Also, how did the Prince Valiant game come to be? It's a great system and translation of the Hal Foster comic. Seems like it was a labor of love, like Pendragon.

It sure was.
I can not do better than to steer you to:
http://weareallus.com/pendragon/publica ... games.html
Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Greg Stafford

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:31 pm 

"Then I got a call (yea, man, a phone call. There was no email, and we used to talk to each other) from the production manager telling me that it wasn't right and I would need to do it again. I suggested that he read the contract and then read the game, and he'd see I fulfilled my obligations. If he wanted me to do it again, said I'd be happy to see do what he wanted and be paid again for doing the work. He declined, and the game was published as I originally did it"

Wow, wish I had that kind of editorial clout. I guess the key part is you were paid before revisions were demanded.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:44 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
"Then I got a call (yea, man, a phone call. There was no email, and we used to talk to each other) from the production manager telling me that it wasn't right and I would need to do it again. I suggested that he read the contract and then read the game, and he'd see I fulfilled my obligations. If he wanted me to do it again, said I'd be happy to see do what he wanted and be paid again for doing the work. He declined, and the game was published as I originally did it"

Wow, wish I had that kind of editorial clout. I guess the key part is you were paid before revisions were demanded.

Oh, I would have done revisions without a whimper. He wanted a complete and total rewrite. No way that such would be reasonably demanded. A 100% revision is not just unreasonable, it is downright exploitive

Greg Stafford

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:29 pm 

Greg:

I just had a good time reading through your Pendragon publication notes.

One thing I noticed was a relatively sophisticated cover picture for The Boy King.

My copy has a different painting that looks less professional.

Do you recall multiple printings?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:07 pm 

There are two editions of the book.

The picture on Greg's page is the one that was published for the 3rd edition of the game.  The other one, which has a larger but somewhat less professional looking cover illustration, was published for the 4th edition.

Edit: As a side note: Greg, do you mind if I take the images you have for some of the books and submit them to the gaming index over on RPG.net?  They're still missing a few covers in their index.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:26 pm 

g026r wrote:There are two editions of the book.

The picture on Greg's page is the one that was published for the 3rd edition of the game.  The other one, which has a larger but somewhat less professional looking cover illustration, was published for the 4th edition.

Hmm, you know, I hadn't considered putting up covers for each edition.
Although,  course, I'd have to have them, which I don't.
Edit: As a side note: Greg, do you mind if I take the images you have for some of the books and submit them to the gaming index over on RPG.net?  They're still missing a few covers in their index.

Permission granted.

Greg Stafford

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:43 pm 

Greg Stafford wrote:Hmm, you know, I hadn't considered putting up covers for each edition.
Although,  course, I'd have to have them, which I don't.

Which ones had multiple editions?  I know Boy King and the King Arthur Companion did.  Any others?

PreviousNext