Q&A with Greg Stafford
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:27 pm 

serleran wrote:It would be the image of PEI Bonewits, famed in the Chaosium publication Authentic Thaumaturgy.

Yes, 1st edition, I  believe.
A living person whose image may not be available for public use without his permission...

Greg Stafford
Game designer, Creator of Glorantha

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:45 pm 

Greg Stafford wrote:Yes, 1st edition, I  believe.
A living person whose image may not be available for public use without his permission...

Easily changed then, and my apologies to him. No offense was meant.

(And I am going to have to see if I can find my copy of Pendragon 4th now...)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:36 am 

g026r wrote:
Easily changed then, and my apologies to him. No offense was meant.
I am certain of that, and I did not mean to imply any was intended. I figured it was an innocent homage, frankly, but felt compelled to bring possible danger to your attention.
(And I am going to have to see if I can find my copy of Pendragon 4th now...)

Yea? If you do, you might also note a certain resemblance in the Merlin picture to someone in this Q&A. :)

Greg Stafford

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:12 am 

Greg Stafford wrote:A living person whose image may not be available for public use without his permission...

That's why we've just now killed & eaten the goat who supplied g026r's current avatar photo, as a precautionary measure.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:14 am 

sauromatian wrote:
That's why we've just now killed & eaten the goat who supplied g026r's current avatar photo, as a precautionary measure.

:D And here I thought he was just invoking another image for the King of the Devils! :D

Greg Stafford

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:26 am 

Greg Stafford wrote:

If this is the case, how do the tabloids survive with all the Paparazzi photos they publish of celebrities?  I think a particular photograph may be copyrighted, but not all images of an individual.  Anyway this issue was in the courts and media recently...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/01/techn ... 1link.html

Sorry for the off-topic post.  :D

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:32 am 

smarmy1 wrote:Sorry for the off-topic post.  :D

Gee, don't apologize for this.
Just don't post it.
This is a game list. Isaac is a friend of mine, and touchy about his image being used, and g026r has proven himself to be sensible and inoffensive, and deserves a warning from me.
And please don't pretend that a :D is permission to disable a thread with off topic stuff.
Thank you.

Greg Stafford

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:49 am 

Greg Stafford wrote:Isaac is a friend of mine, and touchy about his image being used

Would it this be for metaphysical reasons, like influencing a spirit by knowing a name, invoking an image, chanting over hair &/or nail clippings, etc?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:49 am 

Greg Stafford wrote:Gee, don't apologize for this.
Just don't post it.
This is a game list. Isaac is a friend of mine, and touchy about his image being used, and g026r has proven himself to be sensible and inoffensive, and deserves a warning from me.
And please don't pretend that a :D is permission to disable a thread with off topic stuff.
Thank you.

Wow!  I didn't expect this kind of response.  No offense was meant or intended to either you or Issac.  I only used the points brought up to mention an article I had read recently about similar issues of photographs and perhaps open the subject for futher discussion.

You are correct this is a game list; however topics do tend to wander and i was simply adding my two cents on the legal issues surrounding images and their use.

Once again I apologize for any offense; none was intended.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:32 am 

Greg Stafford wrote::D And here I thought he was just invoking another image for the King of the Devils! :D

Are you kidding?  Do you know how many lawyers that guy has? :lol:

Moving slightly back on topic: now knowing the fact, it becomes apparent that the image of Mordred is based on somebody once looked at.  The face itself seems much better realised than some of the other images.

Of course, this just could be my mind seeing things that aren't there, but it's an interesting bit of trivia nonetheless.  Thanks for the info, Greg.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:57 am 

Methinks if he was touchy about his photo being used, he shouldn't have had it on a book! The goat is better looking, anyways.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:58 am 

Although, you may want to ask the goat for permission to use his photo, g026r. With those horns, you don't want to piss HIM off.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:10 am 

Hi Greg,

I have not noticed you selling anything on eBay since before Gencon.

Are you all out of all those old goodies or are you taking a break from selling?

I did see you bidding on a Runequest lot in the last week so I know that you are still "eBaying".

Are you in possession of any of the old original manuscripts for the game items, or did those stay with Chaosium, or have they just disappeared over the many intervening years...

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:46 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:Hi Greg,
I have not noticed you selling anything on eBay since before Gencon.
Are you all out of all those old goodies or are you taking a break from selling?

Just taking a break, waiting for a new batch of customers. :)
Actually, though, I moved from Berkeley 300 miles north to Arcata. If anyone reading this is in the Eureka area and wants to get in a Pendagon game, drop me an email off list.
Are you in possession of any of the old original manuscripts for the game items, or did those stay with Chaosium, or have they just disappeared over the many intervening years...

Hmm, I don't have any, but maybe Chaosium does. I'll go look in the boxes next time I'm down there.

Greg Stafford

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:34 am 

I asked that out of sheer curiosity.

After having watched some of the very succe$$ful auctions of other game designers original manuscripts, I was wondering what value collectors would place on the originals of the early Runequest, Pendragon and Call of Cthulhu items.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:40 pm 

Greg Stafford wrote:A living person whose image may not be available for public use without his permission...

I didn't know this was the case.
I hereby give all Acaeum members permission to use any photo of me for any reason whatsoever. Print and doodle, Photoshop me in compromising positions, I don't care.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:45 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:
I didn't know this was the case.
I hereby give all Acaeum members permission to use any photo of me for any reason whatsoever. Print and doodle, Photoshop me in compromising positions, I don't care.

Now I know that I am going out on a limb here when I say this, since I am not a legal professional, however I would have to say that even in the most strict interpretations of the copyright protection laws, usage of somebody's book published photo as an avatar on a web message board would most certainly be covered by the "fair use" clause....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:09 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Now I know that I am going out on a limb here when I say this, since I am not a legal professional, however I would have to say that even in the most strict interpretations of the copyright protection laws, usage of somebody's book published photo as an avatar on a web message board would most certainly be covered by the "fair use" clause....

I'm pretty sure any judge in the land would consider forum avatars to be "for the purposes of discussion" and thereby well within the realm of fair use.  Copyright law has no case.  However, if we were speaking nastily about a person depicted in an avatar, defamation law might come into play.  

Any insults towards the lemur in question will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

YIM  
PreviousNext