Q&A with Greg Stafford
Author

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:30 pm 

Hey g026r!
I'm curious about the titles of those two Cthulhu House publications.
I was pretty sure I knew most of the Chaosium publications since I've been collecting/running Call of Cthulhu since the year it was first released but don't recall ever seeing anything by "Cthulhu House".  8O

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:36 pm 

The two are Minions, published 1997, and The Thing at the Threshold, published 1992.

There's a decent picture of Minions over at rpg.net: http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=2976

Other than that, the only info I can give at the moment is what's on Yog-Sothoth.com: http://yog-sothoth.com/cocdbdetail.php?ID=140 & http://yog-sothoth.com/cocdbdetail.php?ID=173

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:40 pm 

g026r wrote:'nother question for you, Greg. :D
Great!
Was going through some of my CoC stuff, and came across a publication with the imprint of "Cthulhu House" and "A Chaosium Publication" printed underneath it.  A quick net search showed me that it was one of two Cthulhu House publications, and that they were produced entirely out-of-house, but not much more info could be gleaned.

So then, onto the question: what can you tell me about Cthulhu House?  (Why was it formed?  Why were there only two publications? Anything else interesting that comes to mind...)

I think those were after my tenure there--what were the dates?
But if I recollect correctly these were done entirely outside of Chaosium, editorially and layout, and maybe even printed.
Then Chaosium distributed them and got a cut of the sales price.

Greg Stafford
Game designer, Creator of Glorantha

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:45 pm 

g026r wrote:The two are Minions, published 1997, and The Thing at the Threshold, published 1992.

So both of these were done while I was still president at Chaosium.
However, the CoC line was overseen by Lynn Willis.

Greg Stafford

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:55 pm 

Fair enough. Thanks for the bits you were able to remember though. :D

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:39 pm 

g026r wrote:The two are Minions, published 1997, and The Thing at the Threshold, published 1992.

There's a decent picture of Minions over at rpg.net: http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=2976

Other than that, the only info I can give at the moment is what's on Yog-Sothoth.com: http://yog-sothoth.com/cocdbdetail.php?ID=140 & http://yog-sothoth.com/cocdbdetail.php?ID=173

Thanks! I have seen those but don't own them and never realized that they were done outside of Chaosium.  :oops:

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:35 am 

Hi Greg!

Sorry I haven't sent you a query in a while....I even have a different name than when I last asked a question.  :)

What Glorantha projects are you working on at the moment?  

Or, are you still writing for your world of Glorantha at all anymore?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:51 am 

FormCritic wrote:Hi Greg!

Sorry I haven't sent you a query in a while....I even have a different name than when I last asked a question.  :)

Who were you before?

What Glorantha projects are you working on at the moment?  
Or, are you still writing for your world of Glorantha at all anymore?

Oh, I am. I have decided to concentrate on the literary side, rather than the game side.
I've finished a novel, _Ten Women, Well Loved_ and am now working on the prequel, tentatively titled _Two Men, One God_. I want to publish them professionally. (Any literary agents reading this?)
I am working, on the side, on _The Great Argrath Campaign_, but that is lower priority at the moment.
If anyone is interested in having a preview of these novels in progress, take a look at FriendsOfGlorantha.com.

Greg Stafford

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:38 pm 

Hello again, Greg.  I'm back with yet another attempt to dredge decades-old obscure business details from your memory. ;)

This (  
** expired/removed eBay auction **
) got posted over in one of the other threads, and was curious what connection, if any, Chaosium had with them.

From another auction, it appears that the boxes themselves were made by a company called Board Craft Simulations back in the early 80s and were packaged with a copy of the BRP rules.

I guess I'm curious as to what relationship Chaosium had with them.  Did they approach you to licence the BRP rules for package in the product? Did you guys approach them to make a set of semi-geomorphic paths packaged with the BRP rules?  Was it some company that put out their product with the BRP rules included without your knowledge at the time?

I realise it's likely an insignificant detail from over a quarter decade ago, but whatever you happen to remember is more information than I have now. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:06 pm 

g026r wrote:Hello again, Greg.  I'm back with yet another attempt to dredge decades-old obscure business details from your memory. ;)
Excellent! Wonderful to be back.

This (  
** expired/removed eBay auction **
) got posted over in one of the other threads, and was curious what connection, if any, Chaosium had with them.
I remember the face but not the name of the manufacturer. The actual connection was that, at the time, he was the boyfriend of Lisa free, one of our all-time favorite artists who did great work for several Pendragon and RuneQuest items. In fact, I just remembered that if you want to see his face I recollect that he looked like the picture of Sir Mordred (Pendagon, 4th ed. p 196). (Maybe that was after they broke up? :wink: )

From another auction, it appears that the boxes themselves were made by a company called Board Craft Simulations back in the early 80s and were packaged with a copy of the BRP rules.

I guess I'm curious as to what relationship Chaosium had with them.  Did they approach you to licence the BRP rules for package in the product? Did you guys approach them to make a set of semi-geomorphic paths packaged with the BRP rules?  Was it some company that put out their product with the BRP rules included without your knowledge at the time?
Oh, we knew. He approached us. He was a nice guy (remember, this is back when most companies were one or two people) and I recall that we both thought our products could benefit from the association.

I realise it's likely an insignificant detail from over a quarter decade ago, but whatever you happen to remember is more information than I have now. :)

Hey, always a pleasure to have this ol' brain tested! Keep 'em rolling in!

Greg Stafford

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:10 pm 

BTW, g026r

That's an... um... interesting photo there for your icon...

I have seen it before. For instance, in a Jack Chick propaganda comic, I believe a silhouette of that was labeled to be something like the chief of the church of Satan in the U.S, or somesuch.

And someplace else, of some living person, even... ?

Greg Stafford

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:24 pm 

It would be the image of PEI Bonewits, famed in the Chaosium publication Authentic Thaumaturgy.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:27 pm 

serleran wrote:It would be the image of PEI Bonewits, famed in the Chaosium publication Authentic Thaumaturgy.

Yes, 1st edition, I  believe.
A living person whose image may not be available for public use without his permission...

Greg Stafford

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:45 pm 

Greg Stafford wrote:Yes, 1st edition, I  believe.
A living person whose image may not be available for public use without his permission...

Easily changed then, and my apologies to him. No offense was meant.

(And I am going to have to see if I can find my copy of Pendragon 4th now...)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:36 am 

g026r wrote:
Easily changed then, and my apologies to him. No offense was meant.
I am certain of that, and I did not mean to imply any was intended. I figured it was an innocent homage, frankly, but felt compelled to bring possible danger to your attention.
(And I am going to have to see if I can find my copy of Pendragon 4th now...)

Yea? If you do, you might also note a certain resemblance in the Merlin picture to someone in this Q&A. :)

Greg Stafford

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:12 am 

Greg Stafford wrote:A living person whose image may not be available for public use without his permission...

That's why we've just now killed & eaten the goat who supplied g026r's current avatar photo, as a precautionary measure.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:14 am 

sauromatian wrote:
That's why we've just now killed & eaten the goat who supplied g026r's current avatar photo, as a precautionary measure.

:D And here I thought he was just invoking another image for the King of the Devils! :D

Greg Stafford

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:26 am 

Greg Stafford wrote:

If this is the case, how do the tabloids survive with all the Paparazzi photos they publish of celebrities?  I think a particular photograph may be copyrighted, but not all images of an individual.  Anyway this issue was in the courts and media recently...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/01/techn ... 1link.html

Sorry for the off-topic post.  :D

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

PreviousNext