Parcel Post vs. Media Mail & USPS vs. UPS Ground
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:15 pm 

zhowar wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:Just as an FYI: delivery confirmation for Media Mail can be had for 14 cents per package if you use a PC Postage-compliant service and print your own postage.

I didn't know that. I've never tried printing my own postage. I assume you need an accurate scale for weighing the packages? I don't think my bathroom scale will cut it. Do you ever run into problems where the post office says the weight is different from the weight you printed out postage for? Also, if you do this can you skip the line at the post office and just drop off the packages? (I know you can arrange pickup but that wouldn't work well in my apartment building). I sometimes use the machine in the lobby but it won't handle Media Mail.

Zhowar,
I have a small kitchen scale.  Keep in mind also that once the 1 pound mark is reached, all US postage is by the pound, so exact accuracy isn't always important unless you are on the verge of going into the next "pound" rate class.

Also, Flat rate envelopes don't really need an accurate weight, nor do Flat Rate boxes.  Since media only increases about .30 per pound, I sometimes estimate a pound on the high side for heavy packages (that way there will be no doubt it is enough postage).

All mail packages over 1 pound must be handed over to a US postal employee - that means you can't put them in a drop box and bypass the lines.  You can have your mailman pick it up or hand them over in person at the counter.

Finally, delivery confirmation is FREE with Priority and only 13 cents more for Media or Parcel.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:57 pm 

Thanks for the info, BtB, I will certainly consider this option.

Beyondthebreach wrote:All mail packages over 1 pound must be handed over to a US postal employee - that means you can't put them in a drop box and bypass the lines.  You can have your mailman pick it up or hand them over in person at the counter.

I assume this is so that the employees can ask if you are actually sending books (if sending by Media). There's a machine in the lobby of our post office where you can print postage yourself, including delivery confirmation, and has a drop box where you put the package. So you never see an employee. I believe it is open all night, too. But it won't let you send Media Mail, presumably because then everyone would send all of their packages that way.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:07 pm 

No, the 1 lbs. rule applys to any packages - even Priority Mail (including the Flat Rate envelopes).  I've asked and been told it is for security reasons.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:36 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
The Wraith wrote:Here's my addition to this thread...

You can't send items less that 3/4" in thickness via media mail, plus media rate shipping is subject to inspection. If you're shipping items with advertisments in them, you're not suppose to send them via media rate. Those are the 2 reasons why I ship most of my single item orders via priority mail. If there are more than one item being ordered, and they can measure a thicknedd of 3/4" or more, I usually add media to the invoice as an option. 3/5 people notice and take the option.

This is not true . . . really, it isn't.  That is a restriction for sending First Class parcels with the ebay shipping service.  I've sent upwards of 1,000 Media mail packages less than 3/4" thick and there's never been a problem.  I also just double checked media mail requirements and that isn't one of them.

Guess I'm just getting dicked around by my post office then.  :oops:

The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro

WWW ICQ YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:58 pm 

The Wraith wrote:
Guess I'm just getting dicked around by my post office then.  :oops:

I heard these kind of stories several times.  The worker's at the "local" station get some sort of misinformation and they all think it's true . . . just politely explain that you looked into it and weren't able to find this restriction.  Add that other post offices don't follow this rule and ask them to verify it.  They should have a very LARGE book with all the rules and regulations for mailing items.  Have them look it up.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:09 pm 

BTB wrote
I heard these kind of stories several times.  The worker's at the "local" station get some sort of misinformation and they all think it's true . . . just politely explain that you looked into it and weren't able to find this restriction.  Add that other post offices don't follow this rule and ask them to verify it.  They should have a very LARGE book with all the rules and regulations for mailing items.  Have them look it up.

Remember to be REALLY polite or as soon as you've walked out the door they'll be kicking your parcels around the room - no-one likes a smart-arse!! :D

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:01 am 

For the people that don't know, USPS has co-op contracts with FedEx and Airborne Express (now part of DHL).  They share resources (sorting) and sometimes one or the other will deliver your package.

For some "humor" -> http://www.unitedpackagesmashers.com

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:17 am 

Quick question to USA sellers, though I've asked the Post Office (no response yet) - - Do Global Priority Mail boxes have a flat rate price like the Priority Mail boxes sent domestically do? or is it only the 2 different sizes of Global Priority Mail envelopes?

Thanks,
ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:02 am 

Plaag wrote:Quick question to USA sellers, though I've asked the Post Office (no response yet) - - Do Global Priority Mail boxes have a flat rate price like the Priority Mail boxes sent domestically do? or is it only the 2 different sizes of Global Priority Mail envelopes?

Thanks,
ShaneG.

Last I checked ( Feb. , shipped to Japan ) they still only had flat rate envelopes :(

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:51 pm 

UPS is quite good I have heard for sellers, but they are terrible for buyers. I will not buy an item no matter how much I want it or how good the price, if they will only ship UPS. I don't have time to take off from work and drive 40 miles to the nearest UPS package center because they will only deliver to my area at the same time everyday and no one is here.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:02 am 

UPS also charges a gas surcharge for pick up (was $2 and change when I used it once) but they don't state that price up front, only shipping with mention of the surcharge (which you then find out after you schedule a pick up).

ShaneG.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:51 pm 

A few thoughts:

Media Mail is generally never wanted by anyone I have run into because of time. The wait generally kills people.

UPS is only good on big weights. You can really save some cash then, and if that is where the interest of the buyer is, it helps.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:49 am 

Shingen wrote:Media Mail is generally never wanted by anyone I have run into because of time. The wait generally kills people.

I think this can cut both ways. My latest batch of sales, for example, brought lots of requests from buyers to downgrade to Media Mail — in the money vs. time equation that you mention, I guess they were leaning toward "money." The next batch will probably vote for "time." :)

Shingen wrote:UPS is only good on big weights.

I'm glad you mentioned this, as I am interested in off-loading a lot of weight, and I'm leery of frightening away potential bidders with huge Priority Mail fees.

Should I look into UPS? Believe it or not, I've never actually sent anything through them (I've received tons of stuff, but never sent). I suppose I could go to their web-site and get the "company line," but I'd prefer honest opinions from Acaeum sellers, either pro or con.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:34 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:

I'm glad you mentioned this, as I am interested in off-loading a lot of weight, and I'm leery of frightening away potential bidders with huge Priority Mail fees.

Should I look into UPS? Believe it or not, I've never actually sent anything through them (I've received tons of stuff, but never sent). I suppose I could go to their web-site and get the "company line," but I'd prefer honest opinions from Acaeum sellers, either pro or con.

Well my first instance was eh, alright - buyer wanted it, so I sent it that way (would have been cheaper though USPS). Another package I shipped is actually cheaper going to Canada and I assume due to the weight that is the reason for it.
I signed up on UPS and FedEx actually, but going through Ebay's UPS checkout was slightly easier (and should be next time now that I have an identification #).
So for the 2 times, service was okay, getting the label printed was more work then USPS, helped one customer for shipping price (that is all that really matters though).

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:31 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Shingen wrote:Media Mail is generally never wanted by anyone I have run into because of time. The wait generally kills people.

I think this can cut both ways. My latest batch of sales, for example, brought lots of requests from buyers to downgrade to Media Mail — in the money vs. time equation that you mention, I guess they were leaning toward "money." The next batch will probably vote for "time." :)

Not a huge UPS fan. Items sent by them tend to get lost more, and unless you do a really ace packaging job can easilyget banged up.  Plus unlike the USPS their materials aren't free, which saves you a huge amount of money.  But, if you are sending very heavy items like bundles of magazines or such, it might be the best way to go.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:12 pm 

Badmike wrote:But, if you are sending very heavy items like bundles of magazines or such, it might be the best way to go.

Bundles of magazines is exactly my plan.

Thanks, everyone.

Previous