eBay feedback question from a buyer
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:27 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:3001 total sales.....95.5% positive.....

Thats....4.5% neutral or negative....(no calculator handy)...135 or so bad sales!  That's a lot!

Mark   8)

Nuetrals don't effect the score, so thats all negs equalling 4.5% (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:02 pm 

Neutrals actually count as a point towards your feedback total.  100 neutrals would give you a 100 feedback.   8O

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:24 pm 

Actually ... no, they don't.

From eBay's help pages:

"+1 point for each positive comment

0 points for each neutral comment

-1 point for each negative comment"

http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/feedback.html

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:09 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Actually ... no, they don't.

From eBay's help pages:

"+1 point for each positive comment
0 points for each neutral comment
-1 point for each negative comment"

http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/feedback.html

Okay, then they must have changed it.  The system you just posted is the one that makes sense.  However, way back in 2002 when I was just trying to sell a few items to buy comics, I received a neutral feedback.  It counted as a positive and I've watched over the years as my rating always stays 1 above the total positive feedback I receive.  I believe at the time I checked ebay's policies and it stated a point was given for a neutral.

Feedback Profile

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:39 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Feedback Profile

That is ... bizarre. :) You're right; your feedback should definitely be one lower than it is.

However, something is not adding up. I'm 100-percent dead-sure positive that the feedback system was +1/0/-1 when I began selling in the summer of 1998 ... I remember it well, as I was so freaked out by the thought of selling stuff that I actually took the time to carefully read most of eBay's help pages. Thankfully, there was about one-tenth the number of pages to read back then ... things like "My eBay" didn't even exist. 8O

That's not to say that eBay never changes its mind, though. A prime example is their original policy of changing feedback when a user became "Not A Registered User" for any reason. When that happened, all feedback that person had left was changed to a neutral. The intent was (I guess) to protect sellers from retaliatory negatives; of course, what it mostly did was change a bunch of positives to neutrals for no good reason. People leave eBay for all sorts of reasons ... which eBay finally figured out. It is a completely unlamented former policy.*

So, perhaps there was a brief experiment with a new system? I've gone through many months-long periods where I haven't bought or sold anything on eBay; such a policy could have come and gone and I might not have ever known.

+++++

*This is one reason why many sellers who sold in the late '90s tend to have a surprisingly high percentage of neutrals.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:30 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:This is just the type of asshole sellers should be able to block.
He hardly ever buys anything on eBay, has a low feedback rating, and no real interest in what he's buying on eBay.

Maybe we should maintain an updated 'blocked bidder' database. Something that can be copy and pasted into peoples blocked bidder list. It'll serve three purposes. Firstly, it'll keep sellers updated as to who are the time wasters, non-payers and general assholes. Secondly it'll serve as a backup for our blocked bidder list, and thirdly it'll mean once a seller is blocked from one bidder for being an arse, there's a likelyhood he'll be blocked by many more.

An early warning system before they do the same to someone else.

Problem is these guys show up out of nowhere. It makes no sense to block anyone with a low feedback score (not percentage). My last neg problem was with just that type of ebayer. But I also have dealt with pleny of people that have less than 20 transactions and everything went just fine.

On a cool sidenote. I was recently visiting the Star Fleet Battles forum and left some inconsequentional post (very rarely visit). Some guy contacted me and asked if I was the same bbarsh on ebay. I said, yes. Turns out he bought something from me on ebay when I first started selling stuff (several years ago) and I was his first positive feedback.  It was cool to have someone remember that.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:44 am 

I should have mentioned that the buyer goes by the name of kevayn. Here is his last e-mail:

There we go. I think we have exhausted the Feedback jabs we may throw at one another. I hope you understand that you deserved your Negative - I had a Negative experience from you - I paid for something and you quite simply did not deliver. Understand? I paid you and came through on my end in every way and you posted retaliatory Feedback. Not taking responsibility for your failure during the sale. And 2 weeks to get emails and refunds done? Cmon...really. As a Seller I always give Feedback when the customer pays me. I can see why you hold onto it until you get your Feedback first. Hopefully I've gotten through to you and you change your ways - its better for the community the way I suggest. Se la vie either way.

Nev, you did really well with Auctionsieve. Would it be possible for you to whip up an Idiotsieve? Filter by a-holeishness, noobishness, PI (plain idiocy), and maybe a few more?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:52 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7631018447

OMFG...................................... It figures.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:37 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:I should have mentioned that the buyer goes by the name of kevayn.

The eBay newbie who thinks he has it all figured out and knows what is best for everyone ... this is exactly the type of person who forced me to change my policies years ago.

Oh, and who does this idiot think he is fooling?

Moron of the first order wrote:As a Seller I always give Feedback when the customer pays me.

This from a jackass with ...

... you can probably see this coming ...

ZERO lifetime eBay sales.

What customers? What feedback? Jesus, why don't people realize that it takes less than 15 seconds to look up just about anything on eBay?

Blocked bidder list, say hello to Kevayn.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:23 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7631018447

OMFG...................................... It figures.

well thats just typical of what i have been trying to say really. this is what stops you doing the right things that you are meant to do.

and the fact you outline his newest win there, just highlights the type of numb-nut that makes everything such a pain in the ass sometimes.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:04 am 

Lemme just post my reply email to Frank from a few minutes ago. It'll save time over cut n pasting from here. You recall that Frank(Deadlord) felt put upon by me for having been given a Negative Feedback rating on a transaction. After he mentioned this board to me in a scathing email to what he thought was a newbie - I popped in here and was interested to see that the crowd comes down in favor of Seller posting Feedback first for the most part. Amused to say the least as this has always been my policy and I KNOW I have sold to many of you - including BadMike and others I see here. Oh, and as for the naked wife pics.  :twisted: Noone here has ever surfed eBay drunk? BTW, that dudes wife WAS hot as hell. Anyway...email to Frank.

Just so the facts are out for you to ponder. I AM a Seller. I have more than one eBay account.  

As a LONG-time user/Seller/Buyer on eBay - I've been around the RPG rooms since BadMike, Cougar, and Guido were kids. I have bought and sold at least as much as you so your rant on the Acaeum was misguided. Perhaps you might just toss me to the side of the argument then that Sellers should give proper Feedback when paid and Buyers should give proper Feedback when the item arrives.

One thing I find amusing - I am about certain that you print postage online. Most of your better Sellers do. I do cause it saves time. So when you did, you got free tracking. Why charge for it - you said you had the PO do a trace for my item? Why not give me the tracking number when I asked for it? Sounded suspicious to me from the start. And you said I was a slow-payer on the Acaeum board?!?!? I paid within 2 days if you check your records schmuck.

I'm sure you are shocked to find I know about the Acaeum - you probably had me figured for one of those oh so necessary, yet oh so hated newbie "muppet" Buyers huh?

Well I'm not. I DO give Feedback when I get paid. And I do not give Negative Feedback unless I feel like a transaction was crappy. Oh, and don't go putting yourself over on message boards too much - your communication time over the missing module and refunding was excessive by the time stamps I'm looking at here on emails to and from you. You may have been busy, but you WERE slow to respond and refund. I believe that you did not send the item and would not fess up to that otherwise you would have sent me the tracking to show where it got lost. You also accused me of getting and keeping the module?!?!? Wouldn't your tracking show it was delivered? Or did you tell a little white lie in the auction about using Priority Mail. As you pointed out, Priority has turned out to be pretty much infallible for Delivery for me as well.

Ya know - end of the day - it WAS only a 99 cent module - but each transaction to me should carry responsibility on each side. I can tell you one thing - I DID like the comment the one dude left about waiting til Day 89 1/2 before leaving the deserved Negative Feedback. :)

And before you go and cry AGAIN about Safe Harbor or eBay Security remember that you brought this off eBay messaging first.

Cheers!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:34 am 

i noticed the point there about a refund not given right away.

i have no idea what frank's delay was - that is something he himself knows.

however, if you have transferred funds from paypal back to your account, with nothing left there (which most ppl do?), paypal will NOT allow you to refund unless there are funds there, which means either someone crediting your account with say an ebay win or you putting funds there yourself (which takes 3-5 working days as paypal process it, i have had to do this before). so realistically, if it is the latter, it CAN take a week to resolve.

anyway whatever. i have dealt with frank before and has never let me down or done anything underhand and would never think for one second that he would do otherwise, so can only think this is a misunderstanding on both parts. the issue got sorted and thats surely the most important thing?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:42 am 

Congradulations, Kevayn!

Your intelligent response and the way you put your point across have reinforced my opinion of the vast majority of 'unknown' eBay bidders. You have helped clear up any lingering questions I had about attitude and intelligence levels.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:04 am 

It really was simple. He CLAIMED the package never arrived. I initiated a mail trace at the Goffstown Post Office. They told me they could not find it. Uninsured, untrackable. I offered him the choice of another Portals out of my stack of 3, or a refund. He asked for a refund. I transferred $5.04 to my account, and sent him the refund, shipping and all. Then the negative. He never mentioned being dissatisfied, or anything.
He got the module. I have no question about that. I'm lucky he sent me that demented e-mail about multiple accounts, though. I opened a case with Safe Harbor, and it is perfect evidence.
Everyone knows I am not a pro seller, and my work week is longer than my time off. And myself, I've had packages take months to arrive here. A $500 item I might worry a bit about. But a 99 cent one?  
Ah well, the world needs noobs as well. It gives us the concept of honor, and standards. I don't give a rat's ass about the negative. I expect to get 1 per 100 feeds due to the idiot factor.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:13 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:It really was simple. He CLAIMED the package never arrived. I initiated a mail trace at the Goffstown Post Office. They told me they could not find it. Uninsured, untrackable. I offered him the choice of another Portals out of my stack of 3, or a refund. He asked for a refund. I transferred $5.04 to my account, and sent him the refund, shipping and all. Then the negative. He never mentioned being dissatisfied, or anything.
He got the module. I have no question about that. I'm lucky he sent me that demented e-mail about multiple accounts, though. I opened a case with Safe Harbor, and it is perfect evidence.
Everyone knows I am not a pro seller, and my work week is longer than my time off. And myself, I've had packages take months to arrive here. A $500 item I might worry a bit about. But a 99 cent one?  
Ah well, the world needs noobs as well. It gives us the concept of honor, and standards. I don't give a rat's ass about the negative. I expect to get 1 per 100 feeds due to the idiot factor.

well there ya go - thats what i figured with regards to the delay - transferring funds to paypal. ANYONE who buys and sells would know there is a delay for that, especially when you are also waiting for a response, so you cant act before you get a reply. unless you run ebay as a proper business, like a few here and thereabouts....you HAVE to allow a little lee-way. a week is nothing in the scheme of things and all for a $0.99 mod? hardly worth the hassle of it all imo.

but hey, to each their own.

these instances though do also help others in keeping track of ppl they do or dont want to deal with.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:08 pm 

Apparently you are ignorant of the policy eBay has regarding multiple accounts. It is allowed.

Dolt.

eBay allows multiple accounts, but encourages a "unique" account, hence the "merging two accounts" feature on eBay.

Heh. Please stop wasting eBays time with your foolish complaints - it only serves to increase the already exorbitant selling fees. And as for your PayPal delays - if you were as verbose THEN as you are now as to the reasons for your email and refunding delays - then perhaps we would not be wasting your valuable - I work more than I am off work - time.  :lol:

As for me, I really don't give a rats ass about the book or the refund any longer - I gave a Negative for what I feel are valid reasons and you gave yours as retaliation. Pure and simple.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:25 pm 

One final point - as I do not believe that Frank will be able to answer to this one logically.

Auction ends on April 28th 06
Auction paid for on April 30th 06
Notified Seller of payment made by PayPal on May 1 06
Seller accepts payment and item should have gone out by PRIORITY USPS MAIL on/about May 6th 06 at the latest if we are to believe the Sellers auction claim of mailing on Saturdays.
Item does not arrive the following week of May 6th - the 12th even though it should have arrived in 3-4 days MAX due to distance and Priority shipping.
Contacted Seller MANY times over the next 10 days asking about tracking number, item sent?, refund? Yes!. until I finally got my refund in my PayPal account on May 22nd 06.

I'm sorry, but 22 days from payment to refund with 2 - 3 days in between some email replies WITH Priority Mail shipping is a bit much for a $100 item or a $1 item which was for a friends collection.

I was pissed and left a Negative. Sue me. End of story.

Apologies for having wasted so much bandwidth here on this subject, but I like having the complete story told so that I may be judged from both sides - not simply from an admittedly less than professional Seller.

Kevayn

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:31 pm 

Ok, final final point - HONEST!

I did NOT receive any package or any module during this entire fiasco of a transaction. If I had - what possible reason would I have for all this crap?

I did not receive a package and if I had, wouldn't one assume that the USPS would have easily tracked the package he sent? I can toss out stupid unfounded accusations as well as the next Deadlord - I mean idiot.

I believe that I was never sent a package - that Deadlord forgot to mail it and was too embarrassed to admit his mistake and just pony up the refund with an apology.

Done for real now. Sheesh.  :D

PreviousNext