eBay feedback question from a buyer
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:31 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Well, there is a definite argument for NOT leaving auto feedback as a seller. I just got negged by a buyer who was not only late in paying, he didn't buy any sort of tracking or insurance. When the package didn't show up, I asked the PO to do a trace. They couldn't find it. I refunded the guy 99 cents for the auction PLUS the $4.05 shipping, no questions asked, no stipulations. This was weeks ago. Today, I get a neg.
I don't care overmuch about the neg, I'm a network engineer, not a pro eBay seller. But it certainly does irritate me that I am out a module after I went against my clearly stated rules and refunded the whole shebang to the ass bandit.

frank...well thats exactly what i am talking about.

really pisses me off. not that it bothers me from a feedback perspective, but its just WRONG. youve done nothing wrong and yet you still get stiffed for it anyway

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:45 pm 

I won't lose sleep over it. I expect to encounter a reasonable amount of cornholishness when dealing with eBay.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:49 pm 

This is just the type of asshole sellers should be able to block.
He hardly ever buys anything on eBay, has a low feedback rating, and no real interest in what he's buying on eBay.

Maybe we should maintain an updated 'blocked bidder' database. Something that can be copy and pasted into peoples blocked bidder list. It'll serve three purposes. Firstly, it'll keep sellers updated as to who are the time wasters, non-payers and general assholes. Secondly it'll serve as a backup for our blocked bidder list, and thirdly it'll mean once a seller is blocked from one bidder for being an arse, there's a likelyhood he'll be blocked by many more.

An early warning system before they do the same to someone else.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:07 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Deadlord39 wrote:Well, there is a definite argument for NOT leaving auto feedback as a seller. I just got negged by a buyer who was not only late in paying, he didn't buy any sort of tracking or insurance. When the package didn't show up, I asked the PO to do a trace. They couldn't find it. I refunded the guy 99 cents for the auction PLUS the $4.05 shipping, no questions asked, no stipulations. This was weeks ago. Today, I get a neg.
I don't care overmuch about the neg, I'm a network engineer, not a pro eBay seller. But it certainly does irritate me that I am out a module after I went against my clearly stated rules and refunded the whole shebang to the ass bandit.

really pisses me off. not that it bothers me from a feedback perspective, but its just WRONG. youve done nothing wrong and yet you still get stiffed for it anyway

Al

I have a similar situation with a bit of a twist.  I won an auction over a month ago from what I could tell was a reputable seller.  I sent a money order the very next day and waited.  I am a patient person and I dont expect every seller to email me when they receive payment, ship the item, etc.  But if there is a problem, I expect them to do something as the "ball" is now in the sellers court.  I waited three weeks and heard nothing.  I sent an email asking if they had received the payment and if so if they had shipped the item.  No response.  I waited another week or so and sent a follow-up email.

During this time I noticed that the seller had received neutral feedback from a recent transaction.  I emailed the buyer that left the neutral.  The buyer stated that he waited a month and never received the item.  He emailed the seller several times and didnt get a response until he notified Ebay.  Once Ebay got involved the seller sent the item.  I went back and checked some of his neutral and the few negatives he had.  In every case, the buyer left the non-positive feedback because the seller never sent the item and didnt communicate to the buyer.  Only once was retaliatory feedback left for the buyer.

After several days I finally received a reply to my second email.  The reply said "item has not been shipped because we havent received payment".  That's it...nothing else.   Most sellers would send an email asking where the payment was after a week or so.  Why the heck did this seller not do that?  I was pretty pissed off but I refrained from sending him a scalding retort.  Instead I sent him a reply acting completely shocked and surprised.  But I did ask why I never got a non-paying bidder notice.  Guess what...never got a reply back.  Since I saved the money order stub I told the seller that I would start tracking on the money order to see if it was cashed or not.  This had happened before a couple of times and as soon as the word "tracking" comes up the seller has miraculously "found" the money order and sent my item.  This guy didnt care one way or the other.

I normally save all of my money order stubs in case something like this should happen...unfortunately I left it on the mantle and my fiance threw it away when she was cleaning.  First time for everything I guess.  :x

Here is my dilemma:  Should I leave a neg or just forget about the whole thing?  I have forgotten to pay once before and politely apologized and made up for my mistake.  The seller was understanding about it and everything went fine.  This particular seller didnt bother to let me know, probably because he got my money order and just cashed it hoping that I did throw away the stub so I couldnt do anything about it.  I want to neg him just because he is a shitty seller even if he actually didnt receive the payment.  I dont mind a retaliatory neg since I think I am justified but reading some of these posts from sellers I wanted to get a few opinions.

Oh and please no comments like "you should use PayPal".  That is not even an option.  I would rather stop buying on Ebay altogether.  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:12 pm 

hey KOP...

what i would prb do in the same position is be happy that the auction is concluded and if he is waiting for you to leave feedback, i would do the badmike route of feedback (TM) and leave a neutral right at the end.

i would do this cos i got the item (assuming i was happy with it - if not then change it to neg.) everything worked out in the end, so i just feel a neg is a bit much, but hey if you feel you WANT to leave a neg, then i really do understand.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:29 pm 

Has the seller got a reputation for this? I take it the seller has an otherwise clean record?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:07 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Has the seller got a reputation for this? I take it the seller has an otherwise clean record?

The seller has 16 negatives total....none in the last year.  He has quite a few neutrals....3 in the last 6 months.  Has a total feedback of 3001 and the rating is 95.5%.  Several of the positive comments mention no communication or slow shipping.  All of the neg or neg comments are pretty similar:

Used paypal, item not sent, over 5 emails produced no results. "BAD" ebay'er

Seller is very questionable! Did not send item. Unscrupulous. Buyer beware!!

Seller has not delivered paid items and has not replied to emails and faxes

paid for item dec 02 2004 have never received want answer my emails sent many

Anyway you get the picture.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:30 pm 

thought i would stick this here, save opening another thread up just for it....

mate of mind bought something a few weeks ago and paid straight away by paypal. his wife has just had a baby, so he hasnt had the time to go through channels etc to sort it other than three e-mails to the seller, to which he has had no replies. in the end he can do a chargeback on his card, so its not a problem in the end...

the question is this: is there anywhere you can check to find out where they live or a more personal way to contact them?

i have checked all the obvious places but cant find anything....

any help here would be most appreciated!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:37 pm 

Under eBay Help do a search for 'request contact information'. There is a form somewhere where you enter your eBay name and password and the item number of the transaction you are involved in, and the system sends both party's addresses and phone numbers to bot the people involved.

It's no good if the seller has enterred fals info, but it's the only info eBay have and if the seller has a lot of feedback there's a fair chance the contact info will be sound.

Here's a link... Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles & More | eBay. It's the fourth form down.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:40 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Under eBay Help do a search for 'request contact information'. There is a form somewhere where you enter your eBay name and password and the item number of the transaction you are involved in, and the system sends both party's addresses and phone numbers to bot the people involved.

It's no good if the seller has enterred fals info, but it's the only info eBay have and if the seller has a lot of feedback there's a fair chance the contact info will be sound.

Here's a link... Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles & More | eBay. It's the fourth form down.

hey ian

thanks chummer....just tried it out and it gives us something, which was better than what we had...nothing :)

passed ont he info to me mate so lets hope it pulls something up eh :)

thanks once again

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:11 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:

Al

I have a similar situation with a bit of a twist.  I won an auction over a month ago from what I could tell was a reputable seller.  I sent a money order the very next day and waited.  I am a patient person and I dont expect every seller to email me when they receive payment, ship the item, etc.  But if there is a problem, I expect them to do something as the "ball" is now in the sellers court.  I waited three weeks and heard nothing.  I sent an email asking if they had received the payment and if so if they had shipped the item.  No response.  I waited another week or so and sent a follow-up email.

During this time I noticed that the seller had received neutral feedback from a recent transaction.  I emailed the buyer that left the neutral.  The buyer stated that he waited a month and never received the item.  He emailed the seller several times and didnt get a response until he notified Ebay.  Once Ebay got involved the seller sent the item.  I went back and checked some of his neutral and the few negatives he had.  In every case, the buyer left the non-positive feedback because the seller never sent the item and didnt communicate to the buyer.  Only once was retaliatory feedback left for the buyer.

After several days I finally received a reply to my second email.  The reply said "item has not been shipped because we havent received payment".  That's it...nothing else.   Most sellers would send an email asking where the payment was after a week or so.  Why the heck did this seller not do that?  I was pretty pissed off but I refrained from sending him a scalding retort.  Instead I sent him a reply acting completely shocked and surprised.  But I did ask why I never got a non-paying bidder notice.  Guess what...never got a reply back.  Since I saved the money order stub I told the seller that I would start tracking on the money order to see if it was cashed or not.  This had happened before a couple of times and as soon as the word "tracking" comes up the seller has miraculously "found" the money order and sent my item.  This guy didnt care one way or the other.

I normally save all of my money order stubs in case something like this should happen...unfortunately I left it on the mantle and my fiance threw it away when she was cleaning.  First time for everything I guess.  :x

Here is my dilemma:  Should I leave a neg or just forget about the whole thing?  I have forgotten to pay once before and politely apologized and made up for my mistake.  The seller was understanding about it and everything went fine.  This particular seller didnt bother to let me know, probably because he got my money order and just cashed it hoping that I did throw away the stub so I couldnt do anything about it.  I want to neg him just because he is a shitty seller even if he actually didnt receive the payment.  I dont mind a retaliatory neg since I think I am justified but reading some of these posts from sellers I wanted to get a few opinions.

Oh and please no comments like "you should use PayPal".  That is not even an option.  I would rather stop buying on Ebay altogether.  :twisted:

Don't tell the seller you lost the stub.  Just tell him you will start tracking the check.  See what happens.

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:15 pm 

3001 total sales.....95.5% positive.....

Thats....4.5% neutral or negative....(no calculator handy)...135 or so bad sales!  That's a lot!

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:27 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:3001 total sales.....95.5% positive.....

Thats....4.5% neutral or negative....(no calculator handy)...135 or so bad sales!  That's a lot!

Mark   8)

Nuetrals don't effect the score, so thats all negs equalling 4.5% (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:02 pm 

Neutrals actually count as a point towards your feedback total.  100 neutrals would give you a 100 feedback.   8O

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:24 pm 

Actually ... no, they don't.

From eBay's help pages:

"+1 point for each positive comment

0 points for each neutral comment

-1 point for each negative comment"

http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/feedback.html

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:09 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Actually ... no, they don't.

From eBay's help pages:

"+1 point for each positive comment
0 points for each neutral comment
-1 point for each negative comment"

http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/feedback.html

Okay, then they must have changed it.  The system you just posted is the one that makes sense.  However, way back in 2002 when I was just trying to sell a few items to buy comics, I received a neutral feedback.  It counted as a positive and I've watched over the years as my rating always stays 1 above the total positive feedback I receive.  I believe at the time I checked ebay's policies and it stated a point was given for a neutral.

Feedback Profile

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:39 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Feedback Profile

That is ... bizarre. :) You're right; your feedback should definitely be one lower than it is.

However, something is not adding up. I'm 100-percent dead-sure positive that the feedback system was +1/0/-1 when I began selling in the summer of 1998 ... I remember it well, as I was so freaked out by the thought of selling stuff that I actually took the time to carefully read most of eBay's help pages. Thankfully, there was about one-tenth the number of pages to read back then ... things like "My eBay" didn't even exist. 8O

That's not to say that eBay never changes its mind, though. A prime example is their original policy of changing feedback when a user became "Not A Registered User" for any reason. When that happened, all feedback that person had left was changed to a neutral. The intent was (I guess) to protect sellers from retaliatory negatives; of course, what it mostly did was change a bunch of positives to neutrals for no good reason. People leave eBay for all sorts of reasons ... which eBay finally figured out. It is a completely unlamented former policy.*

So, perhaps there was a brief experiment with a new system? I've gone through many months-long periods where I haven't bought or sold anything on eBay; such a policy could have come and gone and I might not have ever known.

+++++

*This is one reason why many sellers who sold in the late '90s tend to have a surprisingly high percentage of neutrals.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:30 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:This is just the type of asshole sellers should be able to block.
He hardly ever buys anything on eBay, has a low feedback rating, and no real interest in what he's buying on eBay.

Maybe we should maintain an updated 'blocked bidder' database. Something that can be copy and pasted into peoples blocked bidder list. It'll serve three purposes. Firstly, it'll keep sellers updated as to who are the time wasters, non-payers and general assholes. Secondly it'll serve as a backup for our blocked bidder list, and thirdly it'll mean once a seller is blocked from one bidder for being an arse, there's a likelyhood he'll be blocked by many more.

An early warning system before they do the same to someone else.

Problem is these guys show up out of nowhere. It makes no sense to block anyone with a low feedback score (not percentage). My last neg problem was with just that type of ebayer. But I also have dealt with pleny of people that have less than 20 transactions and everything went just fine.

On a cool sidenote. I was recently visiting the Star Fleet Battles forum and left some inconsequentional post (very rarely visit). Some guy contacted me and asked if I was the same bbarsh on ebay. I said, yes. Turns out he bought something from me on ebay when I first started selling stuff (several years ago) and I was his first positive feedback.  It was cool to have someone remember that.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

PreviousNext