eBay feedback question from a buyer
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:56 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Seems to me this is a lot of ado about a trivial thing. I was right last year, people will be changing to a different naming scheme.
You can now address me as [email protected] (591).

Frank, I think this is one of those things that can be oddly trivial and serious at the same time.

Yes, if we all take a step back and think about it, whomever leaves feedback first for a given eBay transaction should be a largely trivial matter. I mean, eBay keeps stats on everything, but not even they track who leaves feedback first, so why should we care?

Except, as Ian and others have mentioned, eBay is not a level playing field for sellers and buyers. Sellers pay all the fees, and stake their reputations and, potentially, their earning potential, on their feedback. Buyers have no such claim — and if they are smart enough to use PayPal, not even their money is at risk. All of which is a way of saying that, really, the feedback issue is not a trivial matter to those of us who have at least a 75/25 selling/buying ratio on eBay.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:12 pm 

If I had a way of limitting my eBay sales of Dragonsfoot and Acaeim registered users, I would. If I had a way of preventing 'unconfirmed PayPal bidders, I would. If I had a way of refusing credit card transactions from people I don't already know, I would.

Until eBay protects the seller, screw the unknown or infrequent buyer. They take no risk online at all.

Maybe eBay should restrict leaving feedback to those who have amassed 50 feedback comments, and maintains a 99% possitive ratio? Or introduce a policy whereby you only receive the ability to leave feedback once you have confirmed through them, or PayPal that they are real people at reall addresses, and that they are not lying or committing fraud.

I have been threatenned with negative feedback from unknown buyers more than once, but to date, the only negative feedback I have actually received was retaliatory from a seller who charged me for Special Delivery (insured and recorded), and then didn't post me £100+ magazines. If a buyer is going to check out my feedback, I'm sure he will be able to see the difference between a vindictive seller who tried to screw me as a buyer, and a dishonest eBay seller. I'm more than happy to keep that sort of negative feedback on my record.

Mike is right. Trust plays a big part. I would trust everyone here to be honest and forthcomming if they felt disppointed with a purchase, and not think of feedback negotiation or extortion. For that reason, I tend to leave feedback once items have shipped to Acaeum members, and as is the case with all of the sellers here (I think), we all offer a full refund to customers who aren't happy.

<aside> The board's lively ATM. Aren't you all off playing and DMing. It's Saturday FGS.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:43 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:
MShipley88 wrote:If this guy really pisses you off, wait 90 days after your purchase and then...at the last second...post a negative.

Anyone who would actually do this to a seller solely over feedback not received would be the absolute scum of the earth.

I have to second that. That would be WAY out of order. And to be honest, if someone gets pissed off over the order in which feedback is left, that is really quite sad.

By the way...this is only a partial quote of what I said.  It makes me sound I like I would condone doing this.  I don't.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:46 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:By the way...this is only a partial quote of what I said.  It makes me sound I like I would condone doing this.  I don't.

Mark   8)

We all know you're cool, Mark.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:47 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:<aside> The board's lively ATM. Aren't you all off playing and DMing. It's Saturday FGS.

Or, God forbid, actually going outside! :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:40 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:<aside> The board's lively ATM. Aren't you all off playing and DMing. It's Saturday FGS.

Or, God forbid, actually going outside! :)

It's Texas, it's June, it's 102 degrees. It's too hot to go outside, and it MAY even be too hot to play D&D....

Ok, it's never too hot (or too cold) to play D&D...is it?

What is the WORST physical condition you have ever played D&D under?  I remember one summer here in Texas, we were in the middle of an exciting campaign.  The AC in the 40 year old house we were living in goes out, right before D&D time. The temperature outside is 100 degrees; inside it's unbearable. We ended up playing in the garage with the door up to catch a breeze, I think the temp hovered in the high 90's the entire game, we had sweat pouring down our face, shirts plastered to torso, consuming glasses and glasses of lemonade....But the game went on. Lifesaver that she was, my wife called from work and I told her of the conditions, she came home with an industrial sized giant fan purchased at Best Buy that we plugged in and quickly put to use, it wasnt' the best of conditions but it made things slightly bearable.
  Next week the AC broke AGAIN the DAY of the game, so I did what any good DM would do, I broke down and bought a window unit at Best Buy, plugged it into the living room, and had the ONE room in the house nice and chilly by the time the group arrived (the rest of the house was unbearable, no one wanted to leave the room even for a bathroom or smoke break).  But everyone still remembers the day we gamed in that awful sauna-like heat, what gamers will go through to slay a few orcs....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:37 pm 

Badmike wrote:What is the WORST physical condition you have ever played D&D under?

I was a freshman in high school back in '86 living in a tiny hamlet in the northernmost part of the Texas panhandle.  That February we had one hell of a blizzard followed by an ice storm the next day that caused our entire town to lose power due to trees branches collapsing under the weight of the ice and falling on the power lines.  They cancelled school and pretty much everything else for three days straight.

Since we couldnt watch tv, listen to radio, or play video games and it was too damn cold (-30 wind chill) to do anything outside for any lengthy period of time, my best friend and I trudged through the ice and snow two miles to another friend's house (who happened to be our DM) with a small backpack loaded down with rulebooks and snacks.  The three of us plus his older brother spent the next couple of days playing through the G series.  We ate lots of popcorn (gas oven), drank gallons of hot chocolate, and listened to music on our dm's battery powered cassette player.  We listened to stuff like Queen, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, AC\DC and a lot of others.  When the sun started to set, we lit up several candles to play by which made it that much better.

Now that I think about it...the conditions weren't that bad at all. :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:55 pm 

We used to play in the back of a Humvee when I was stationed in the Mojave Desert. Our character sheets used to be riddled with sweat droplets after a game session.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:27 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Or, God forbid, actually going outside! :)

Oooh. No. There be dragons. 8O

Deadlord39 wrote:We used to play in the back of a Humvee when I was stationed in the Mojave Desert. Our character sheets used to be riddled with sweat droplets after a game session.

Now that sounds nuts! :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:38 am 

A few years ago my group used to play in a friends 12' square shed. It had his LARP swords, axes and shields hung on the walls and we played by candle light. Very atmospheric but it really was cold in the winter!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:50 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Badmike wrote:What is the WORST physical condition you have ever played D&D under?

I was a freshman in high school back in '86 living in a tiny hamlet in the northernmost part of the Texas panhandle.  That February we had one hell of a blizzard followed by an ice storm the next day that caused our entire town to lose power due to trees branches collapsing under the weight of the ice and falling on the power lines.  They cancelled school and pretty much everything else for three days straight.

Since we couldnt watch tv, listen to radio, or play video games and it was too damn cold (-30 wind chill) to do anything outside for any lengthy period of time, my best friend and I trudged through the ice and snow two miles to another friend's house (who happened to be our DM) with a small backpack loaded down with rulebooks and snacks.  The three of us plus his older brother spent the next couple of days playing through the G series.  We ate lots of popcorn (gas oven), drank gallons of hot chocolate, and listened to music on our dm's battery powered cassette player.  We listened to stuff like Queen, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, AC\DC and a lot of others.  When the sun started to set, we lit up several candles to play by which made it that much better.

Now that I think about it...the conditions weren't that bad at all. :wink:

Hey King that sounds like a BLAST!  Those aren't worst conditions, that sounds like a session I'd pay to attend...
 What would have been funny is if you had gotten there, and then you forgot you left the dice at home...ooops.... :twisted:
  Just a few months ago, I drove about 30min for a D&D session with my brothers. When I got there, I found I had brought everything except the one essential thing, the adventure.  I had to drive back home, then BACK to my brother's house.  So that was about 2 hours of my life wasted, the inside of my car heard every single cuss word in the history of mankind on that round trip from hell. At least my bros had a pizza and beer waiting when I finally arrived... :)
  oh yeh, and sorry I hijacked the thread, this probably belongs in it's own subject topic...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:35 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I also find it ironic that the author of this thread, along with many of the people who respond to these sorts of threads in favor of somehow forcing sellers to leave feedback first, have, in fact, NEVER SOLD ANYTHING ON EBAY. I guess it's pretty easy to criticize when you've never paid a penny in eBay and PayPal fees and you've never had to deal with any of the headaches that eBay sellers often endure.

Buy, hey — to steal a line from BC — maybe it's just me. What the hell do I know? :?  :?  :?

Not a suprise this comes from you.  :roll:

I'd definately leave feedback after getting my money as a seller, that was explain eloquently in the past by BeyondtheBReach and he's got 100%.

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:39 pm 

Well, since you all have stated your points, I'll let it rest.

Those who think I am "scum" or "ignorant" for my opinion
can stuff it.  I expected better from the Acaeum.

Later.

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:45 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:Not a suprise this comes from you.  :roll:

Um ... okay. :?

You didn't get the answer you were looking for, make vague threats to "get eBay involved," and that makes me a bad person?

Whatever.

I totally stand by that statement you quoted, BTW, not backing down a bit. Try selling something on eBay — anything, just one thing — before acting like you know what's best for those of us who do sell.

MrFilthyIke wrote:I'd definately leave feedback after getting my money as a seller

Which is what EVERYONE says when they don't, in fact, ever sell anything. It proves nothing.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:50 am 

ike: it really is very hard to decide a feedback issue chummer.

i showed a similar thing over on rob's forum. i asked the board what they thought "old school" meant. there was about 25-30 replies and not ONE was the same.

i think the feedback situation is exactly the same. everyone WILL have their own opinion.

at the end of the day, you cant force someone to leave you feedback. i always used to think it was the be all and end all. i still leave it when someone pays me when something is sold. a few times i have been unfairly rated, but hey you can spot a muppet a mile off. to others, feedback is far more important and they will adjust their system accordingly to not be hijacked. i dont agree with it, but i DO understand.

everyone will have their own reasons. as i said, i have one now where i have bought something off someone and i have issues with it. he has bought from me before which i left FB first and then he did. now he has sold, he expects me to leave FB first and then he will and i have told him i do it the same as i sell. when he leaves it, i will. but he ignored me *shrugs*

either way i am not that bothered and wouldnt bother involving ebay because a. its not worth the bother and b. they dont do feck all anyway.

sorry your thread has caused issues with others on here, but you cant tarnish the forum because they dont agree, be it 1 person or more.

you ask for an opinion, you will get one. it doesnt mean someone will agree or you will hear what you want chummer.

well lets hope y'all have had a good nights sleep and feel better about things when you get to read this.

*I HOPE*

:D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:09 am 

killjoy32 wrote:well lets hope y'all have had a good nights sleep

Sleep? I can't sleep knowing the Czechs are gonna stomp us, 3-nil. My stomach hurts just thinking about it ...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:16 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:well lets hope y'all have had a good nights sleep

Sleep? I can't sleep knowing the Czechs are gonna stomp us, 3-nil. My stomach hurts just thinking about it ...

:)

wel if its a damn hot day again, expect it to affect the czechs more then the americans mate.

i expect the USA to put up a real stiff fight actually and you might be mildly surprised!

they are up against it tho - czechs are a good side  :? if trinidad can draw against sweden with 10 men (!) then no reason that the US cant make a pretty good account of themselves.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:25 am 

Yes...but we don't have accents.

How can you win at soccer without a cool accent?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext