My Thank You for Being a Great Forum -- Roslof Commission!
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:53 am 

Hi

I've been a fan of early D&D art for quite a while, and because of this great forum I've been able to see a picture of Sutherland's incredible Dungeon Master's Guide painting, and also arrange a commission from the amazing Jim Roslof. As a big thank you to you all, here is a link to the stunning painting he did for me. And he wants you guys to know he would love to do more commissions!!! He hasn't done any fantasy stuff since the D&D days, except for Goodman Games and would like to do more.

http://www.munchkinpress.com/Kohlbrennercollection.htm

Now if only someone could post pictures of the original Monster Manual, Players Handbook, Deities & Demigods, and the Basic Set paintings, my life would be complete!!!

J

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:01 pm 

Grimball wrote:Hi

I've been a fan of early D&D art for quite a while, and because of this great forum I've been able to see a picture of Sutherland's incredible Dungeon Master's Guide painting, and also arrange a commission from the amazing Jim Roslof. As a big thank you to you all, here is a link to the stunning painting he did for me. And he wants you guys to know he would love to do more commissions!!! He hasn't done any fantasy stuff since the D&D days, except for Goodman Games and would like to do more.

Now if only someone could post pictures of the original Monster Manual, Players Handbook, Deities & Demigods, and the Basic Set paintings, my life would be complete!!!

J

Nice painting, interesting having the mind flayers (one a female no less). Can I ask what the insperation was for that?

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:42 pm 

Grimball wrote:Hi

J

Sweet!  Glad to see someone else got a Roslof...for all you out there who haven't done this yet....what you you waiting for?????

There are plenty of classic Roslof covers waiting to be remade!!!! :D And as you can see he's still got the touch (I think his recent stuff looks much BETTER than the original covers, personally)

BTW, the cover for D1-2 was my SECOND choice of remake artwork I was thinking about when deciding on a subject for my drawing (Finally decided on Q1).  Interesting to see how incredible the color painting turned out, I would have liked that but I have to admit there is something about the B&W ink drawings that just gets me all nostalgic (plus the price, out of my budget I'm afraid!).  The focus on the Mind Flayers is intriguing, I second Plaag, what led you to that choice? As I've said before, the characters fighting Lolth's minions in the art I commissioned were the original party members from my group that went through Q1 20 years ago.  Anyway, love the painting, glad to see Jim wants to do more, I have been saving mypennies all year to hopefully buy another Christmas Gift for myself come winter this year!!!!!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:55 pm 

well the plan is that once i have pegged back my card a little due to recent purchases, i will be getting one sorted out.

Al

ps. there is a pic of the yochlol out of Q1...i want a pic of them fighting the PCs in a passageway...really tight cramped up fighting...

Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:59 pm 

I also really like the Dragon cover.  That is one of my favorite covers to that magazine...along with the chess series and the one of a skeleton in armor, leaning against a tree with an arrow in its chest..."The Fallen Cavalier"...or something like that.

The Acaeum is a great portal to the old game professionals.

Thanks for your post.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:49 pm 

Nice redux on the D1-2 cover.  Looking at this color one, and Badmike's ink, I would say that Roslof has gotten even better with age.  

I also really like the Dragon mag cover, #50 if I remember correctly that contains one of my favorite adventures, the Chapel of Silence.  If you ever consider selling it send me a line...  :wink:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:09 pm 

Not that it really matters at all, but I'm showing the author of this thread as having "Posts: 0"

I mean, if you've started a thread, doesn't that sort of give you "1" by definition? :)

No biggie, though ... it's just the sort of random trivia I tend to notice.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:00 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Not that it really matters at all, but I'm showing the author of this thread as having "Posts: 0"

I mean, if you've started a thread, doesn't that sort of give you "1" by definition? :)

No biggie, though ... it's just the sort of random trivia I tend to notice.

It might have to do something with the SQL update. Just in case we lose record of the number of posts I am at 872 not counting this one  8)

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:09 pm 

Marlith wrote:It might have to do something with the SQL update. Just in case we lose record of the number of posts I am at 872 not counting this one  8)

am sure i saw him as "1" when i posted on this thread.

and yeah just for the record my posts were 7500 before it went all funny  :P

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:57 pm 

I'm glad you like the paintings, the D1-2 cover has always been my favorite module cover, and Mindflayers are my favorite D&D monsters. As I jokingly told Jim, the Shrine would be more likely attacked by Mindflayers then humans since they are next door neighbors in the Underdark. The skeletons are suppose to be what is left of the original adventures. I think the painting is one of Jim's best if not the best, and he agreed with me!!, also saying it was the most fun he ever had painting.

As for the dragon painting, I had contacted the artist hoping to buy a print of it and he turned around and offered me the painting itself. What amazed me was the cost was the exact amount of money that I had saved for paying Jim once he had finished his commission. Since that wasn't going to happen for another three months, I bought the Dragon painting and saved up more money for Jim by the time he was done, and now own two of my all time favorite paintings..

J

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:15 am 

All I can say is: Beautiful! I would be honored to own one like it.

I've always liked Roslof for the bright colors. See here.  ("Revenge of the Rainbow Player Characters"). I like his ink drawings, but if I got one from him, it'd have to be in color.

By the way, I didn't realize that female mind flayers had breasts. Seems rather...mammalian. Actually, I don't even think I ever consider that mind flayers could be female...! On the other hand, I was looking at a 3E book last year and I saw something about mind flayers being grown in host bodies such as human.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:04 am 

I was wondering the same thing.  Mammal mind flayers?  Illithid cleavage?

I figured...artistic license.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:27 pm 

Grimball wrote:And he wants you guys to know he would love to do more commissions!!!

I would be interested in contacting Mr. Rosloff concerning commissions. Could you please send me an e-mail at [email protected] with some contact information for him? I searched google, but either my google-foo is weak or there isn't any to be easily found.

Thanks!

Joseph Browning
Expeditious Retreat Press