Grandmasters of (A)D&D Collecting
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:16 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:If funds were truly unlimited, then surely one buyer could own all the fancy artwork in the world. If I offer $1 trillion for a painting.. no one would turn it down. Now while this scenario isn't realistic (as you indicate), the pecularity only arises due to the scale of the market (most rare paintings go for a lot of money).

Spend some time with some serious art collectors and you will find your statements are false.  I have had the plasure of spending time with friends with extensive art collections.  The type where pieces are lent out to museums etc.  No amount of money will cause them to sell.  

For those of you who are into cricket do you think the family which owns the original ashes will sell it?  Not bloody likely and I know there have been offers over the years.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:40 am 

Not to get on a tangent but what eventually happens is the family member with the extensive collection passes on and the remaining family has very little interest in, or attachment to the collection and end up selling it.

How many of your family members would keep your collections?

A morbid comment but after all, box after box, shelf after shelf of D&D books doesn't appeal to everyone like a family ring or dining room set...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:54 am 

dbartman wrote:Not to get on a tangent but what eventually happens is the family member with the extensive collection passes on and the remaining family has very little interest in, or attachment to the collection and end up selling it.

How many of your family members would keep your collections?

A morbid comment but after all, box after box, shelf after shelf of D&D books doesn't appeal to everyone like a family ring or dining room set...

What a great question - FWIW none of my family are in the least interested and my wife would merrily sling my (meagre) collection away.
HOWEVER - with my assorted paperwork is a letter giving the names and email addresses of several people who would be interested in my stuff - might at least pay for my funeral :o  :x

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:54 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:

If funds were truly unlimited, then surely one buyer could own all the fancy artwork in the world. If I offer $1 trillion for a painting.. no one would turn it down. Now while this scenario isn't realistic (as you indicate), the pecularity only arises due to the scale of the market (most rare paintings go for a lot of money).

As improvstone points out, I don't think that is an accurate statement.  See if you can buy the Mona Lisa for a trillion dollars.  Or for private collections, if someone is already obscenely rich, then money makes little difference in their lives.  Why would they part with a unique item that brings them happiness (i.e. their artwork) for something that they already have plenty of (i.e. money).

Sure, most would sell . . . but not everyone.  

Even I (who am far, far, far away from being obscenely rich  :D  ) have something I wouldn't sell.  My cat, Frodo!  :)   Not for a trillion dollars!

Money is not the most important thing in the world, you know.  (you do know that, don't you? . . . from what I've seen you post over the last month, I get the feeling that you don't.)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:52 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Sure, most would sell . . . but not everyone.  

Indeed.  Point is that not everyone is driven by money ... In fact I would go so far to say that most of the people that make positive lasting changes to the world are not driven by money.  

I have not forgotten the reasons I got into gaming.  Let me tell you none of them had to do with money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:49 am 

Welcome back Frank!

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:22 pm 

Spend some time with some serious art collectors and you will find your statements are false.  I have had the plasure of spending time with friends with extensive art collections.  The type where pieces are lent out to museums etc.  No amount of money will cause them to sell.  

Everyone has a price, even if its not simply monetary in nature. I don't care who they are. One painting (or anything one can conceive) does not have infinite worth.

I mean even exchanging the painting for a daughter that was kidnapped (or whatever) is clearly something even the most art dealer would consider.

In any event, this has absolutely nothing to do with money and D&D collecting as far as I can tell.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:37 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
Everyone has a price, even if its not simply monetary in nature. I don't care who they are. One painting (or anything one can conceive) does not have infinite worth.

I mean even exchanging the painting for a daughter that was kidnapped (or whatever) is clearly something even the most art dealer would consider.

In any event, this has absolutely nothing to do with money and D&D collecting as far as I can tell.

So now you have decided to prove my point.  Money is not the prime motivator and just because you have enough of it doesn't mean you can buy anything and everything you like.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:39 pm 

If money wasn't an issue you could probably buy ways of obtaining whatever you wanted if the direct approach doesn't work.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:19 pm 

OK, enough beating up on STD. The thread is about grandmasters...

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:35 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:OK, enough beating up on STD. The thread is about grandmasters...

Unfortunately he keeps sticking his neck out ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:16 pm 

improvstone wrote:
Unfortunately he keeps sticking his neck out ...

Well lop it off with a flaming two-handed axe so it don't grow back  :twisted:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:45 pm 

Agreed, he is, well, kind of like herpes. Never quite goes away.............
But the topic was Grandmasters.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:54 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:But the topic was Grandmasters.

Given the topic was started several years ago how has the landscape changed?  Who are the current grandmasters?

Going back to Ralf's original list:

the best collection in quantity and quality

the most knowledge

the most influence

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:59 pm 

Agreed, he is, well, kind of like herpes. Never quite goes away.............

Excuse me?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:15 pm 

Well for Judges Guild there is only a few of us :wink:

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:15 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
Excuse me?

No...there is not.

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:21 pm 

An excuse. Nice, Kosh.
I still have a decent chunk of the JG printings. At one point or another I've owned a fair share of the non-TSR stuff. Much more interesting, in my opinion. I am much more of a "have owned it" collector than "own it and will never part with it" one. I treat RPG items like women. Once I've had them, I always have the memory. No need to have the original. Might as well pass it on so someone else can enjoy it.

PreviousNext