Grandmasters of (A)D&D Collecting
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 912, 3, 4, 5, 6789
Author


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6455
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Sep 10, 2022

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:56 pm 
 

faro wrote:
Re. the 2nd print @ $500. Strange you should mention...
Another saga spooled off the back of one of us stating false price expectations to a seller. Some things don't change around here, alas.
Neither yourself or or the previous (eventual) purchaser played any negative role in that; just benefited from someone else who did (IMHO).

d.


David could you clarify this for me, even if its via PM.  :)


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche


Last edited by bclarkie on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:03 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:David could you clarify this for me, even if its via PM.  :)

That would probably be best, I'm sure. :)


"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1110
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 01, 2022
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:33 pm 
 

Aneoth wrote:I have a simple answer for this topic.
Who is the grand master collector in any realm of collecting?
The dude or group with the most money........... :roll:


I think if you asked any true art collector he/she would disagree with this statement.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:53 pm 
 

improvstone wrote:
aneoth wrote:I have a simple answer for this topic.
Who is the grand master collector in any realm of collecting?
The dude or group with the most money........... :roll:


I think if you asked any true art collector he/she would disagree with this statement.

*g*. Amen to that... Certainly one of the fields where money holds an unequal sway but easy to work around that with so many unique items. (And even the richest private seller or Japanese bank cannot corner the market in a given "high selling" artist, anyhow :))

Commodity selling with mass publications such as comics (bad example/good example, dunno?) does tend to lead more to a "grandmaster" = "people/groups with the greatest funds" paradigm, however.

jm-02c, phps... ^^


"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 414
Joined: Mar 26, 2006
Last Visit: Nov 30, 2007
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:54 pm 
 

ExTSR wrote:Bah. What am I doing in this list? I only have a few things. (Okay, a thousand or three... usually two of each printing, one shrink one open, 'cause I'm a gamer.)

Stratochamp has one of the best high-quality RPG collections around.


Oh yeah, btw... bak.


And Faro, I owe you a couple of things... unless you still want me to hold 'em awaiting your negotiations.

FM


Hi Frank, welcome back.... :D

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:19 pm 
 

faro wrote:Commodity selling with mass publications such as comics (bad example/good example, dunno?) does tend to lead more to a "grandmaster" = "people/groups with the greatest funds" paradigm, however....


OK I will agree to your valid point. My statement was far too broad.

However, I truly feel that (for the most part) my statement still applies to the collecting group of D&D enthusiasts; which does not include one of a kind Artwork in the sense that only one of each of them exists, so (realistically) no one collector could obtain them all.

In that regard, if one included one of a kind artwork like that in a true and complete D&D collection, then NO ONE could likely ever have one of everything D&D related.

BUT, It is not only possible, but quite likely that a person with nearly unlimited funds could easily (given enough time) have at least one complete collection of D&D items. Excluding one of a kind items of course and even that is possible, if those one of a kind items were avaliable at some price.

Mike (Badmike) for instance has what he feels might well be a one of a kind item in a rare newsletter, which EGG wrote an article for and even EGG does not have a copy. Mike told me that it could be for sale at the right price.

And no, Its outa my range.  8O


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7975
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 04, 2022
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:01 pm 
 

Aneoth wrote:
OK I will agree to your valid point. My statement was far too broad.

However, I truly feel that (for the most part) my statement still applies to the collecting group of D&D enthusiasts; which does not include one of a kind Artwork in the sense that only one of each of them exists, so (realistically) no one collector could obtain them all.

In that regard, if one included one of a kind artwork like that in a true and complete D&D collection, then NO ONE could likely ever have one of everything D&D related.

BUT, It is not only possible, but quite likely that a person with nearly unlimited funds could easily (given enough time) have at least one complete collection of D&D items. Excluding one of a kind items of course and even that is possible, if those one of a kind items were avaliable at some price.

Mike (Badmike) for instance has what he feels might well be a one of a kind item in a rare newsletter, which EGG wrote an article for and even EGG does not have a copy. Mike told me that it could be for sale at the right price.

And no, Its outa my range.  8O


I have to admit, it would be fun at one time to just put something idiotic for a bid on one of the Big Rares, because I've already promised myself I would never pay what they are really worth to have them. So yeh, I'm one of those who if they suddenly had unlimted funds would attempt to get "one of everything" along with very unique items that no one has.  There is very, very rarely not a top end price someone will take for something, especially if you just throw stupid money around (say, someone offered me half a million dollars for the roslof sketch I have), no matter what the sentimental value.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 760
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Last Visit: May 18, 2022
Location: Dallas, TX

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:54 pm 
 

However, I truly feel that (for the most part) my statement still applies to the collecting group of D&D enthusiasts; which does not include one of a kind Artwork in the sense that only one of each of them exists, so (realistically) no one collector could obtain them all.

In that regard, if one included one of a kind artwork like that in a true and complete D&D collection, then NO ONE could likely ever have one of everything D&D related.

BUT, It is not only possible, but quite likely that a person with nearly unlimited funds could easily (given enough time) have at least one complete collection of D&D items. Excluding one of a kind items of course and even that is possible, if those one of a kind items were avaliable at some price.


I think you are contradicting yourself... but I agree with your conclusion.

If funds were truly unlimited, then surely one buyer could own all the fancy artwork in the world. If I offer $1 trillion for a painting.. no one would turn it down. Now while this scenario isn't realistic (as you indicate), the pecularity only arises due to the scale of the market (most rare paintings go for a lot of money).

That D&D collecting arena operates on a far lesser scale than artwork  doesn't change that people will pay for things only if a) they value it for as much or more than the price they pay, or b) they can profit by it as an investment.

Money has everything to do with (b) but only to a lesser extent with (a). With respect to (a), if I don't value a Spiderman comic book at $1000, no increase in my income will make me want to buy it at that price (not that there's anything wrong with collecting comics). However, if I already value it at $1000 but simply cannot afford it, then more money will enable me to buy it (as presumably is the case with Mike and some of the rares).

Therefore, Aneoth's assessment is 100% accurate in the case where either most rpg collectors are investors and/or most people cite, primarily, financial constraints as a barrier to buying the items they want at market prices. In my opinion, this is probably a good slice of the rpg community.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1110
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 01, 2022
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:16 am 
 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:If funds were truly unlimited, then surely one buyer could own all the fancy artwork in the world. If I offer $1 trillion for a painting.. no one would turn it down. Now while this scenario isn't realistic (as you indicate), the pecularity only arises due to the scale of the market (most rare paintings go for a lot of money).


Spend some time with some serious art collectors and you will find your statements are false.  I have had the plasure of spending time with friends with extensive art collections.  The type where pieces are lent out to museums etc.  No amount of money will cause them to sell.  

For those of you who are into cricket do you think the family which owns the original ashes will sell it?  Not bloody likely and I know there have been offers over the years.

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Posts: 2162
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Dec 07, 2022
Location: Ohio, The land without sun

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:40 am 
 

Not to get on a tangent but what eventually happens is the family member with the extensive collection passes on and the remaining family has very little interest in, or attachment to the collection and end up selling it.

How many of your family members would keep your collections?

A morbid comment but after all, box after box, shelf after shelf of D&D books doesn't appeal to everyone like a family ring or dining room set...

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1900
Joined: Mar 26, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 07, 2022
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:54 am 
 

dbartman wrote:Not to get on a tangent but what eventually happens is the family member with the extensive collection passes on and the remaining family has very little interest in, or attachment to the collection and end up selling it.

How many of your family members would keep your collections?

A morbid comment but after all, box after box, shelf after shelf of D&D books doesn't appeal to everyone like a family ring or dining room set...

What a great question - FWIW none of my family are in the least interested and my wife would merrily sling my (meagre) collection away.
HOWEVER - with my assorted paperwork is a letter giving the names and email addresses of several people who would be interested in my stuff - might at least pay for my funeral :o  :x


You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1709
Joined: Feb 04, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 23, 2016
Location: Chandler, AZ

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:54 am 
 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:

If funds were truly unlimited, then surely one buyer could own all the fancy artwork in the world. If I offer $1 trillion for a painting.. no one would turn it down. Now while this scenario isn't realistic (as you indicate), the pecularity only arises due to the scale of the market (most rare paintings go for a lot of money).



As improvstone points out, I don't think that is an accurate statement.  See if you can buy the Mona Lisa for a trillion dollars.  Or for private collections, if someone is already obscenely rich, then money makes little difference in their lives.  Why would they part with a unique item that brings them happiness (i.e. their artwork) for something that they already have plenty of (i.e. money).

Sure, most would sell . . . but not everyone.  

Even I (who am far, far, far away from being obscenely rich  :D  ) have something I wouldn't sell.  My cat, Frodo!  :)   Not for a trillion dollars!

Money is not the most important thing in the world, you know.  (you do know that, don't you? . . . from what I've seen you post over the last month, I get the feeling that you don't.)


"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1110
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 01, 2022
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:52 am 
 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Sure, most would sell . . . but not everyone.  


Indeed.  Point is that not everyone is driven by money ... In fact I would go so far to say that most of the people that make positive lasting changes to the world are not driven by money.  

I have not forgotten the reasons I got into gaming.  Let me tell you none of them had to do with money.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 656
Joined: Apr 12, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 10, 2022
Location: Perth, Australia

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:49 am 
 

Welcome back Frank!


"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 760
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Last Visit: May 18, 2022
Location: Dallas, TX

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:22 pm 
 

Spend some time with some serious art collectors and you will find your statements are false.  I have had the plasure of spending time with friends with extensive art collections.  The type where pieces are lent out to museums etc.  No amount of money will cause them to sell.  


Everyone has a price, even if its not simply monetary in nature. I don't care who they are. One painting (or anything one can conceive) does not have infinite worth.

I mean even exchanging the painting for a daughter that was kidnapped (or whatever) is clearly something even the most art dealer would consider.

In any event, this has absolutely nothing to do with money and D&D collecting as far as I can tell.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1110
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 01, 2022
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:37 pm 
 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
Everyone has a price, even if its not simply monetary in nature. I don't care who they are. One painting (or anything one can conceive) does not have infinite worth.

I mean even exchanging the painting for a daughter that was kidnapped (or whatever) is clearly something even the most art dealer would consider.

In any event, this has absolutely nothing to do with money and D&D collecting as far as I can tell.


So now you have decided to prove my point.  Money is not the prime motivator and just because you have enough of it doesn't mean you can buy anything and everything you like.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6118
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Oct 16, 2022
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:39 pm 
 

If money wasn't an issue you could probably buy ways of obtaining whatever you wanted if the direct approach doesn't work.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5686
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2022
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:19 pm 
 

OK, enough beating up on STD. The thread is about grandmasters...


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 912, 3, 4, 5, 6789