Grandmasters of (A)D&D Collecting
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:50 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:I treat RPG items like women. Once I've had them, I always have the memory. No need to have the original.

You talk big now Frank but wait till your wife is in the room  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:58 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:I'm not going to respond to anything short of an apology. Outright slander on a community board is simply indefensible.

Well, its not slander for two reasons:

A)  He didnt say anything, it was written on a Message Board so if it was anything its libel, not slander

B)  A personal opinion of you, whther or not you like it or not can not be libelous.  If the poster had said that you had herpes because you slept around with a lot of women of ill repute it might and no one should ever do business with you because of that fact, that could be considered libelous, although even then the chances of you winning a court case on it is next to nil.  First you would have to prove that the statement was not true, secondly and more importantly you would have to be able to prove that the statement all by itself harmed you finacially a substantial amount, Which basing a statement such as that, that was posted only on one message board that maybe gets 1000 independent visits a day, you be would be extremely hard pressed to prove signifigant financial loss.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/libel

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:05 am 

Brian

I love it when you educate people on legal matters ....  8)  8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:07 am 

improvstone wrote:Brian

I love it when you educate people on legal matters ....  8)  8)

Mike did you read my PM earlier?  I am curious as to your thoughts on that subject.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:17 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:I'm sorry, but saying someone is akin to herpes is about the worst thing you can say about anyone. Period.

STS, unfortunately in this case you are not going to garner alot of support from the rest of us.  

While Frank's statements can be a bit strong his sentiment is spot on.  You certainly don't listen while you are more than happy to shovel your ideas down everyone elses throat.  Not the type of behaviour I would look for in a person who I wanted to have a conversation with.  

So as Frank originally, and rightly so,  suggested who are the current grandmasters.  I have started the list ....

Collection:
Faro/Harami/David
ExTSR/Frank M
Invincible Overlord/ Mike

Knowledge:
Faro/Harami
ExTSR/Frank M
Deadlord/Frank F (not sure about your collection anymore?)
Invincible Overlord/ Mike

Influence:
ExTSR/Frank M - I have to put Frank in all  three categories - He is the grandmaster's grandmaster  :D

Last edited by Improv on Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:18 am 

Well, its not slander for two reasons:

A)  He didnt say anything, it was written on a Message Board so if it was anything its libel, not slander

Thank you but I was using the term in its colloquial sense, not its legal sense.

B)  A personal opinion of you, whther or not you like it or not can not be libelous.

In any event, this is patently false. Derogatory e-mails can be grounds for defamation.. opinions as a defense is hardly certain.. not in the US anyways.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:18 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Mike did you read my PM earlier?  I am curious as to your thoughts on that subject.

Hey Brian, I will send you an email when I get home tonight ... Suffice to say I heard from the other parties perspective as well.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:21 am 

improvstone wrote:
Hey Brian, I will send you an email when I get home tonight ... Suffice to say I heard from the other parties perspective as well.

I hope that you didn't do that because of my PM, that was certainly not my intent. :?

And getting back to the subject at hand, I think that I/O needs to be on that list somehwere. :wink:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:22 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:In any event, this is patently false. Derogatory e-mails can be grounds for defamation.. opinions as a defense is hardly certain.. not in the US anyways.

Rather than the legal route (which people should leave for important issues) why don't you take a step back and look at the series of events which lead to the message.  You may just find there are certain behaviours that can be changed which would make life here easier on all of us.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:25 am 

bclarkie wrote:I hope that you didn't do that because of my PM, that was certainly not my intent. :?

Nope... had discussions long before now.

bclarkie wrote:And getting back to the subject at hand, I think that I/O needs to be on that list somehwere. :wink:

Added ... keep them coming ... I think I am going to start a list with everyones Acaeum Name, eBay Name and real Name ...  :cry:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:27 am 

While Frank's statements can be a bit strong his sentiment is spot on.  

So because we're not pals gives anyone license to defame me? This is incredible.

You certainly don't listen while you are more than happy to shovel your ideas down everyone elses throat.  Not the type of behaviour I would look for in a person who I wanted to have a conversation with.  

You can equivocate all you wish. If you don't like my ideas don't read them. Simple. But to hide behind this razor thin veil as a justification for all kinds of cruel words is just shameful.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:28 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
In any event, this is patently false. Derogatory e-mails can be grounds for defamation.. opinions as a defense is hardly certain.. not in the US anyways.

Okay, lets try this again :!:  Libel is not a criminal offense, it is a civil one.  In order to win a civil case, you have to prove financial loss.  Do you really think that even the most desperate ambulance chaser attorney is going to assist you in a libel suit based on the fact that someone called you a name on a message board???

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:31 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:

So much for him NOT responding unless it was to an apology.  :roll:
I hate it when people outright lie to others.

Of course that is typical of forum trolls.

Damn, there goes the rest of that case...time to get out the special brew  :D

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:32 am 

Just proved it again .. you don't listen ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:35 am 

Maybe I can sue him

Reason-

He lied when he said he would not responde unless it was to an apology

My loss-

The six pack I needed to drink as I had to read through his drivel to see if there was a worthwhile post left by real forum members.

Hey bclarkie, will I win  :lol:

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:37 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Maybe I can sue him

Reason-

He lied when he said he would not responde unless it was to an apology

My loss-

The six pack I needed to drink as I had to read through his drivel to see if there was a worthwhile post left by real forum members.

Hey bclarkie, will I win  :lol:

No but you better leave me some beer  :lol:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:38 am 

improvstone wrote:
No but you better leave me some beer  :lol:

Done and done  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:38 am 

Rather than the legal route (which people should leave for important issues) why don't you take a step back and look at the series of events which lead to the message.  You may just find there are certain behaviours that can be changed which would make life here easier on all of us.

I think its clear that voicing an opinion (objectivity of value, and pricing ethics) that had the potential to change the paradigm of how some people approached collecting was ambitious. But I can hardly see how injecting new ideas into any conversation can be considered "poor behavior".

I've kept my comments stricly unpersonal and civil. When I've crossed the line -- by my words being misinterpreted or my tone misread -- I've quickly apologized. I receive no such treatment by others.

Aside from the one exchange with Brian, I don't recall any comment I've made that has personally offended others. If I have, please cite and I will retract or apologize.

Look, I'm not looking to be friends with anyone unless they so wish it. But I do expect to be treated with civility and not be subjected to insults in every post I read. This is common decency and everyone here should be able to adhere to that very basic standard.

I will continue to use Acaeum as a website for a resource to further my collection and trading endeavors. I will continue to contribute my ideas to various threads in this forum. I'm not going anywhere.

As such, I hardly see how persistent hostility -- by a few -- serves any purpose whatsoever other than annoying the rest of the members on this site, clogging threads with useless bickering, and acting as a source of poisonous gossip.

PreviousNext