Amazing!
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:38 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=2543

1. What fool would bid on this?

2. How does Cougarretard make any money? the posting fee is pretty steep, and the eBay fee would be a fortune.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:49 pm 

Dear God, he's posted  even worse ones! 125 pounds for Greyhawk Supplement........

I have to follow these. See if P. T. Barnum's competitor was right.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:59 pm 

It is not the first time he did it. Of course, he never sold it. I guess it's some kind of ego trip ...  :roll:

... by the way: In Germany we have our own Cougarrinard. His name is uwesiebel ...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:29 pm 

He has about 25 auctions up, none of which should rightfully sell. I cant get over the Greyhawk supplement!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:24 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:It is not the first time he did it. Of course, he never sold it. I guess it's some kind of ego trip ...  :roll:

... by the way: In Germany we have our own Cougarrinard. His name is uwesiebel ...

That is not very nice.  I had a pleasant transaction with uwesiebel.  I was able to get a German 1st Ed Player Handbook from him.  At the time, he was one of the few people that would ship outside of Germany.

Ð

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:23 am 

I suspect that Cougarrinard is not actually intending to sell any of those auctions (but he figures if he does, then great because all of the prices assume a tidy profit). No, what I think he is actually doing is posting all of those auctions to act as a sort of catalog for people who may wish to buy individual items (hence the attached pound figures). I figure it cost him between $2.20 to $3.30 for each of the 25 auctions. It would cost him $0.30 to post each of the hundreds of items he has listed throughout all of the auctions. There are 72 Dragonlance items and it would have cost him $21.60 to list all of them individually instead of the $3.30 he actually paid. Now, he has shown all potential buyers what he has for a fraction of the cost.

-PD

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:47 am 

no it should be costing him nothing as he usually only does it on free list days, which I suspect that it was on uk ebay due to the huge numbers of items listed today...

Brette:)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:58 am 

d20sites wrote:That is not very nice.  I had a pleasant transaction with uwesiebel.  I was able to get a German 1st Ed Player Handbook from him.  At the time, he was one of the few people that would ship outside of Germany.

Ð

I have no doubt the man delivers items as described and speedy, too. I'm sure he doesn't overcharge on the shipping cost. To his credit I must add, he also never attempted of selling illegal material like Cougarrinard.

But if you know the German market, you'll see him offering ~100 auctions every week (like Cougarrinard). Unlike Cougarrinard his (starting) prices are -even for a reseller- very high, sometimes 3 times the market value. Just take a look at what he is offering. Like Cougarrinard he never uses photos. His buyers are almost exclusively beginners who have no idea of the real market value of the item they are purchasing (you are excluded, of course). Fact is, he's making money on the ignorance of beginners and that is not very nice.

By the way, why is it not nice to compare someone with Cougarrinard? There are some members on this board who continually buy from him, so he can't be too bad. I dislike both of them, but this is a personal opinion. I compared them for the only reason, because uwesiebel also floods the market every week with hundreds of auctions ...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:12 am 

Ralf Toth wrote:

By the way, why is it not nice to compare someone with Cougarrinard? There are some members on this board who continually buy from him, so he can't be too bad. I dislike both of them, but this is a personal opinion. I compared them for the only reason, because uwesiebel also floods the market every week with hundreds of auctions ...

I did some business with Uwe and I must say that, albeit its prices sometimes are high or very high, I was always satisfied with my purchases. I had the same positive experiences with Cougarrinard (the only time I was unsatisfied it was my fault - I didn't read carefully the auction text...), if not I'd not have paid $ 400  8O  for Dwarven Glory and Misty Isles (I have never paid so much money for anything on EBay, albeit the auctions for RPGA1 and RPGA2 come very close). Yes, he didn't use images, but I saw the auction where he bought those and that auction had good photos, so there were no problems. He accepted a payment in two installments too. The fact these modules are in the UK makes everything safer, quicker and cheaper.  The fact he doesn't use images is a bonus for me. I want to collect D&D, but I'm satisifed with complete items at a reasonable cost - I don't chase shrinkwraps or mint copies (for example, my copy of RPGA1 has some separated pages, but it costed me around $ 120 - 130 and - believe me - there were many other bidders besides me)  and the lack of images scares away the 'professionals'  :wink: giving me some relief :D.

Anyway, let me repeat my mantra: the right price for a collector's piece is the price somebody is willing to pay. I have already received comments about paying 'too much' for DG and MI, but I don't care... and I suppose everybody  :?:  looked at the bidding frenzy when PoVQ, DG and MI were up for auction together ($ 580...).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:20 am 

Ralf Toth wrote:It is not the first time he did it. Of course, he never sold it. I guess it's some kind of ego trip ...  :roll:

I'm sure in Italy there are people saying the same thing of me. Well, at least I have a good website!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:23 am 

PurpleDragon wrote:I suspect that Cougarrinard is not actually intending to sell any of those auctions (but he figures if he does, then great because all of the prices assume a tidy profit). No, what I think he is actually doing is posting all of those auctions to act as a sort of catalog for people who may wish to buy individual items (hence the attached pound figures). I figure it cost him between $2.20 to $3.30 for each of the 25 auctions. It would cost him $0.30 to post each of the hundreds of items he has listed throughout all of the auctions. There are 72 Dragonlance items and it would have cost him $21.60 to list all of them individually instead of the $3.30 he actually paid. Now, he has shown all potential buyers what he has for a fraction of the cost.

-PD

I agree in full. More, the fact he uses very high prices places him automatically at the top when somebody looks for D&D auctions based on the price. Everybody knows the most interesting items very often go to the top extremely quickly... and many bidders go straight to the Highest Priced Items on EBay.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:28 pm 

Uh, Soterraneo, you know who won the $580 auction, right? So if you paid $400 for the two, and he sold the PoVQ for $260, he pocketed in the area of $70. Once again, why do I hate resellers? Because Sot could have won the 3, kept the two he needed and traded the Palace to someone. Instead, a reseller cashed in and Sot paid much more than he should have. I would have liked to have the PoVQ and trade the other 2 away myself.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:22 pm 

He bought the 3 for $511 interestingly outbidding Sot

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3137592454

and sold them on for $660 total. His ebay fees were probably about $35

So he made around $115. He can't be that much of a retard then huh?

Okay he really should use pictures and yes a better description would be nice but he must doing something right as he's probaly the largest reseller on Ebay right now (maybe guido?) and people still buy from him

He must practically live on ebay because he bids on nearly everything.

Perhaps he doesn't have time to take photographs?

I wonder how many copies of B2 and X1 he has :-)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:50 am 

I have nothing against the guy, but I choose not to bid on his auctions due to a lack of a picture and his minimal amount of statement of condition. I have little doubt that his auctions suffer due to a lack of a picture, but if he sees that acceptable then who can complain.

I suppose we could go on forever about the impact that resellers have on the market, but I choose to look at it this way:

Prior to ebay, one of the primary avenues for acquiring out of print items was through hobby/comic shops that would buy them from customers and then mark them up to an acceptable profit level; and they would then resell them to other customers. Is that not in a nutshell what cougarrinard and other eBay resellers are doing? If Harrison's Comics in Salem, Mass (which is an outstanding collectable store if you ever get over to this neck of the woods) chose to put a $100 price tag on a copy of RPGA6  and someone bought it, is that any worse than Cougarrinard doing the same thing? Is there anything wrong with that at all? If someone is willing to put their money down without taking the time to research the value, then that is the fault of the buyer and not the seller.

What can you do? Blackball them and do everything you can to prevent others from buying/selling with them?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:14 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Uh, Soterraneo, you know who won the $580 auction, right? So if you paid $400 for the two, and he sold the PoVQ for $260, he pocketed in the area of $70. Once again, why do I hate resellers? Because Sot could have won the 3, kept the two he needed and traded the Palace to someone. Instead, a reseller cashed in and Sot paid much more than he should have. I would have liked to have the PoVQ and trade the other 2 away myself.

Thank you for your support, but I don't see any problems in anybody making a profit from the D&D/AD&D products he owns. I'm one of them  :wink:  

About PoVQ, I don't have it  :(  so I'd have kept all three...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:30 am 

And of course Ebay loves resellers. They get two sets of fees.

I think its safe to say very few of the canny :-) collectors on here would buy from resellers.

One final question tho! Cougarrinard recently bought 2 unpunched H1's

for around $150 a piece. Surely he doesn't expect to sell them on for more?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:09 am 

If someone is willing to put their money down without taking the time to research the value, then that is the fault of the buyer and not the seller.

Value is relative. At the risk of oversimplifying, any given item has two values, what it is worth to the seller and what it is worth to a specific potential buyer. Some people, myself occasionally included, are willing to pay a bit more for convenience. Sometimes it is preferable to me to buy an item from a known, trusted, reseller at a higher price rather than take a chance buying an item via an online auction at a lower price from a person I've never dealt with before. I'm not just talking about D&D stuff.

It is all a matter of how much disposable income you have, versus the risks you are willing to take, and the amount of time and effort you are willing to put forth scanning endless auction listings, etc.

Disclaimer: I have never bought anything from Cougarrinard.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:26 am 

jagd wrote: I think its safe to say very few of the canny :-) collectors on here would buy from resellers.

Well, I'm not canny then. A pity, but I can live with that  :P

Next