What was the first D&D module you ever played?
Poll: What was the first D&D module you ever played?

B1 In Search of the Unknown 16%       16%  [ 7 ]
B2 Keep on the Borderlands 56%       56%  [ 25 ]
G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity 4%       4%  [ 2 ]
S1 Tomb of Horrors 4%       4%  [ 2 ]
X1 Isle of Dread 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
One of the other 1st edition modules 7%       7%  [ 3 ]
A 2nd or 3rd edition module 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Something a friend or I made up 7%       7%  [ 3 ]
Something using the original boxed set D&D! 4%       4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 45

Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:39 pm 

I first went into B1, we didnot know quite how to play the game yet and each character actually went in alone.  Mine was Ivan the Terrible (we were taking russian history then in grade 9) and My guy was the first one to make it out alive.  Forgot to buy armour, all our attribute roles and HP roles were whatever showed on the dice.  Intersting game we thought, it soon turned into our obsession and our group quickly started a wekkly (or daily sometime) game with up to 12 players.

Ahh!!!! those were the days.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:49 pm 

Funny how you can try all different kinds of roleplaying games now and never come close to that feeling when you first started playing. It's like sinking the pink for the first time. Never quite feels the same again.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:36 am 

When I was in high school, a guy moved into the neighborhood from Maryland.  He kept talking about this cool new game called Dungeons & Dragons, but none of the stores here in Dallas stocked it.  Finally located it at a Hobby's For Dad's and Lads at the mall, and he offered to DM us through B1 (BTW, one of the genius greatest beginning adventures of all time, a fun little crawl with fill in the blank monsters and treasures perfect for starting DMs).  I had a fighter named Conan (I was working through the REH Conan series in 1979).  We rolled up characters using the ridiculous 3d6 method where every other score was a 10 or 11, but I rolled an 18 strength which not only made me the only character with an ability over 16 in the party but the defacto leader (power in strength you know).  Myself, my younger brother, and my best friend made it as far as hallway with the magics mouths just inside the entrance where we got attacked by 7-8 kobolds, who proceded to kill every character except Conan.  It was a bloodbath, we lost an entire party including two NPCs to a few lousy kobolds....of course, after that ass kicking, we stayed far away from kobolds thinking they were some sort of super rodent.  Still, we were hooked.
    My friend Joe ended up being a terrible DM, so I took over after that and I've been running adventures ever since.  In the last 25 years I've probably run B1 more than any other adventure, close to 20 times, and I still love the thing.  It's a great intro to beginning roleplayers, a great device for teaching the basic tenets of D&D, and a great one-shot for even experienced roleplayers. Through the years, I've run the adventure as a one-shot for a group of experienced players where they had to roll up characters using the 3d6 method and play them as rolled (pretty funny, just the characters alone had us crying with laughter, especially the thief my brother ran with such a low wisdom and INT that to call him mentally challenged was being kind; and for the 20th anniversary of my group playing together we got the original group back together (Joe, my brothers and my best friend) and I ran B1 as a high level killer dungeon. Liches and demons roamed the halls as they took their favorite highest level characters into B1 and tried to reach the lower level where a group of man-eating kobolds with magic resistance, special powers and genius intelligence held a certain fighter named Conan captive...that's right, they had to rescue my original player character in a very long delayed sequel to the first time we played together.....ahh, the memories.

Mike B.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:58 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Funny how you can try all different kinds of roleplaying games now and never come close to that feeling when you first started playing. It's like sinking the pink for the first time. Never quite feels the same again.

My first time gaming was so terrible, I never thought Id play again. The group I played with was clueless, and the DM ran the whole campaign straight out of the DMG, which would have been ok if he had some imagination, but there we were no notes nothing with a big case of ok........what are we doing?.....Ummm I think I hear my mom calling...
Fortunately, about a year later I met up with a group of experienced players, and an excelent DM, and the addiction grew from there.

The other however, no matter how bad, Ive never wanted to give up on ;)

What the !@#$ you mean we dont use Thac0 anymore????

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:31 am 

Okay - top this for a wacky first time DMing.

After playing Keep on the Borderlands on two different occasions, I was so addicted that I could not get the game out of my head.  The second time we actually had dice instead of chips (borrowed them from Greg's older brother).

At this time I didn't own anything (the basic set was Greg's) - but I desperately wanted to play.  Keep in mind that I have probably just turned 9 years old -  I went to my playroom and designed a map and labelled all the rooms A, B, C, etc.  The details from the few times I played were hazy but I remembered Orcs, Kobolds, Potions of Healing, Bubears, hit points and probably a few other things as well.

I placed many monsters in various rooms, threw in a whole load of potions of healing and found some six sided dice from other games.  I knew I needed a "different" kind of dice though, so I pulled the spinning wheel out of "Life" (the game by Milton Bradley).  I think there may have been 10 different numbers on the Life wheel, so this became my "to hit" die.

I rounded up some friends who were even younger than me and "created" characters and sent them through.  Of course, I had no rules - or anything.  So I just made everything up!  

Spin the wheel - if you get a 7 or higher you hit!

Roll a dice for damage.  Collect your treasure.

why don't you cast a spell - how about magic missile?

Drink a potion of healing?  roll a six sided die for your hit points. . . only it didn't occur to me to set limits so after drinking about 10 of these the character's hit points really started to add up!

They killed eveything and loved it!  They wanted to play some more. . . but the only other thing I remember is that my friend (Greg) said his brother had another module called White Plum Mountain (yes, I meant to write Plum and not Plume).

So I told my eager players that they continued on a path toward a mountain - suddenly a bunch of hugh White Plums  wielding swords jumped from the trees and ambushed them!

After a few characters died, the others ran away screaming. . .

That Christmas, I got the Dungeon Master Guide and Players Handbook and things gradually started to make a little more sense.  :)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:25 pm 

I put B2 but to be honest I'm not sure! LOL.  It was either B2, B3 or  Castle Amber.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:40 pm 

LOL. I posted before I read yours Beyond.  Thats very funny.  I did something very similar.  My older sister actually played D&D with some friends and I was to "young" to play. So for an entire school year I just made up my own D&D game.  

It was a giant piece of poster paper with a map drawn on it.  Every so often on the map I drew monopoly like segments to represent spaces. I put three rooms on the map and turned a card over in each room. The card was the dungeon master.  Only one of them was real, the other two were fake.  I created a Dragon piece and a Wizard piece and placed them on the board.  So everyone basically had to roll a die to see how far they moved, if they could land on the dragon or wizard they killed it.  Each turn I rolled and moved the dragon and wizard and tried to land on them. The first one to find the room with the dungeon master won hehe.. So that was endless fun.

Then that summer I actually got the books and since I was at my dad's in the country I read them.  I couldnt' wait to get back home and show everyone how to really play.  Anyway I thought our stories were similar, yours gave me a smile for sure.

Previous