Nine Tournament Modules on eBay
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:44 am 

Extsr wrote:
That help?

Thanks, fits another small piece of the puzzle :D

My fondest computer memory was of a Commodore 16 and a little game called Jack Attack where you pushed and pulled boxes, squashing bouncing balls (all in 2D of course) 8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:51 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:I still have my TRS80, along with the cassettes it uses. I guess technically I've been dealing with computers for 30 years or so.

I have a small vintage computer collection.  The Commodore Super Pet still commands some good money on Ebay.  The highest I saw one go for a fews year back was $1300.  Trash80s don't seem to get much.

I have a mint in box - unassembled video display and keyboard heathkit to go with the Z80.  They must have been fun - get your soldering gun and go at it!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:51 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:My fondest computer memory was of a Commodore 16 and a little game called Jack Attack where you pushed and pulled boxes, squashing bouncing balls (all in 2D of course) 8)

mine was on a ZX81, playing 3D monster maze - always used to scare the crap out of me, and an adventure called Inca's Curse...it took me literally months to sort that one out!!!

good fun!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:19 pm 

My TRS is mono. It does come with a monitor too!  know I have Star Trek and Madhouse for games, but I can't remember what else.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:48 pm 

Had some fun playing one of the Apshai games (either Temple or Gateway) on a C64 (a friend's). Very D&D with primitive yet effective graphics and music. Multi-level dungeon with mobile critters like "Fungus", "Rabid Rat", "Mamba Snake" as well as "Vampire" etc.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:53 pm 

Our high school computer closet had (soooo cool!) a computer hooked up to Clackamas Community College.  

That computer did not have a screen.  Instead, it printed out responses on a huge printer.

We played a game called Tarzan, where we wiped out hunters using stampeded and blowguns.  The game forced you to talk in "ape," using words like "ook" and "eek."  At the end of the game, after your inevitable death, Jane would run off with Cheetah.

When you spit blowgun darts the computer would print:

pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!

Sounded pretty convincing.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:40 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:That computer did not have a screen.  Instead, it printed out responses on a huge printer.

The first time I played Advent (aka Adventure or Colossal Cave), it was on a set-up like that. Come to think of it, I think that may have been the first computer game I ever played. This was in the early 80's. My friend's mom took us to her office after work and we played on their computer. Some older guys in the office were also playing the same game, and they had a monitor so we thought they were pretty cool. Later we tried to port our Advent character over to D&D but it was pretty difficult - the game gave you no stats and how many XP do you get for killing a Dragon with your bare hands?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:43 pm 

Is that the one with xyzzy?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:14 pm 

zhowar wrote:Had some fun playing one of the Apshai games (either Temple or Gateway) on a C64 (a friend's). Very D&D with primitive yet effective graphics and music. Multi-level dungeon with mobile critters like "Fungus", "Rabid Rat", "Mamba Snake" as well as "Vampire" etc.

Yes, Temple of Apshai :lol:, but on Apple II. I don't remember there was music.
And I can't remember if I already knew what was a RPG or anything about D&D...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:14 pm 

some of my faves from school was on the BBC computer - valhalla and defender.

and on the oric1, there was the infamous hells temple...i never did get to finish that bloody thing but by 'eck it was close to D&D :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:16 pm 

I remember when this thread was focusing on the nine tourney mods up on Ebay!

Ahh, those were the days :wink:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:43 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:I remember when this thread was focusing on the nine tourney mods up on Ebay!

youre quite right jeff....

SO....are they authentic or not?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:07 pm 

le Rahib wrote:
zhowar wrote:Had some fun playing one of the Apshai games (either Temple or Gateway) on a C64 (a friend's). Very D&D with primitive yet effective graphics and music. Multi-level dungeon with mobile critters like "Fungus", "Rabid Rat", "Mamba Snake" as well as "Vampire" etc.

Yes, Temple of Apshai :lol:, but on Apple II. I don't remember there was music.
And I can't remember if I already knew what was a RPG or anything about D&D...

We can't end this retro momemt without mentioning the best D&D style game   series Ultima!  I think they peaked at Ultima IV or V.  I don't think I can count the number of hours I spent playing those games.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:21 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:I remember when this thread was focusing on the nine tourney mods up on Ebay!

youre quite right jeff....

SO....are they authentic or not?

Al

Frank says they are, let the bidding war begin!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:24 pm 

I say they *probably* are. Seller sez some or all characters are included, which is suspicious; they were used in the tourney. otoh if the char sheets are used/written on, so much the better...

Seller WILL respond with detailed photos and answers questions freely. Good vibes there at least.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:04 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Frank says they are, let the bidding war begin!!

well i was gonna go for a right bash at them, being into tourneys n that, but have just spent a wedge with rob buying some tasty morsels, so i aint got a chance of bidding now... ah well :)

good luck to y'all on them...should be right fun to watch.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:07 am 

(belatedly OT and just for fun)

MShipley88 wrote:Dude, how old are you?

:lol:

Not really just an age question, but I've been tinkering around with various computer tech since the mid 70s. Looks like I'm not the only one around, too.

MShipley88 wrote:The home computer market was taking off in the 80's, but computers were in their infancy.  It is hard for guys who remember the end of the 80's to even start to comprehend how primitive things were at the start of the 80's.

It's a perspective thing, Mark.
The boom really started in 77. Before that it was almost solely hobbyists and off-duty professionals: as of 77/78 the home computer magazines hit the shelves big time and 83/84 actually marked the end of that first boom.

MShipley88 wrote:Dear God...late into the 80's most schools were teaching "computer" by trying to get kids to type on the Apple II! There was no such thing as a "hard drive" until deep into the 80's

WA state? :)

MShipley88 wrote:Almost no one in the private market was on any such thing as an "internet" until well into the 1990's.

Ya dun remember BBSing on a 300/75 modem or playing Essex MUD, then?

MShipley88 wrote:You really have no idea how crappy these things were.  You also have to realize how recently most computer technology developed.  The computers of today are positively telepathic compared to the computers that TSR started with.  There is just no comparison between 1980 and 1990.  The gap is even larger when you compare 1990 to 2000! My God!

You're meaning software as much hardware... albeit that's mostly hideously inefficient/bloated these days compared with "old school" software. :)
RPG analogy again? ;)

(Add video games consoles to that computing/RPG history/development equation too, please. The dates actually match even better, in that case).

"Back then" people often also had to write their own software (*jk*). Wasn't a problem; nor at uni, either: major projects there including a distributed hypertext system using the 'net (late 80s, pre-Berners-Lee) on our Sun Workstations. Berners-Lee was right, we (and others) were wrong, though; protocol first, software next. :) And that software lagged a l-o-n-g time for mass public access to the WWW, I know.

===
Ah... tourneys... *looks again*

Yeah, I'm probably just watching from the sidelines again.
Makes a change from woodies, anyhow. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:20 am 

Apple ruled the early American school computer market....mostly by the clever tactic of practically giving away their computers to schools.

Computer teachers used Apples at school while working on their PC compatible computers at night.  (Actually, I was one.)

The internet was useful for accessing the public library data base...and little else.  Maybe...what....05% of the American public was online before 1996 or so....  :lol:

I remember how impressed I was with our school's spiffy new Apple IIe computer with two floppy disk drives and (whoa!) 240K of ram!  I mean, who knew such power was possible?  NO hard drive.  What's that?

Mark    8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext