Howdy :)
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:41 pm 

Hi I'm Peter, 37.  I was an avid D&Der back in the late 70s and most of the 80s.  Started about age 9 in Boy Scouts (my first character was a suicidal half-orc fighter with a two-handed sword; he accumulated much glory during his one day of adventuring before meeting his doom at the sharp talons of three gargoyles).  Over the years from 79-90 I accumulated a pretty big collection of stuff.  I've held onto it all this time not because I thought of myself as a collector per se but just because I was partial to it.  AD&D is still kind of a hobby; to this day I design little adventures from time-to-time for fun, even though I have no one to playtest them with.

I've visited the Acaeum a few times over the years.  As to why I joined just now...well I recently moved and just don't have the closet space I used to, so the time has come to begin selling some of my stuff off.  Basically, any module or accessory that I haven't looked at in the last couple of years is going to go on eBay over the next few weeks.  (My user name there is also Guillam.  I don't have much feedback yet but so far it's all positive.)  The nice thing about my material is that coming from a family of librarians and archivists I always took very good care of my stuff so most of my modules are very well-preserved.

As for as what I "collect," I'm mainly attracted to artwork.  I have most of the "Art of..." supplements (though not "Artists of TSR," alas).  I enjoy my copies of S1 and S3, and the original 1st Edition DMG (especially the appendices) for the same reason.  Oddly, I never got into collecting miniatures.  I guess I was more of a 2-dimensional person.  :wink:  I also collect art supplements from White Wolf's "Vampire: The Masquerade" game and whatever else in the fantasy/SF genre catches my fancy.

So, anyway, Hi!  :)  And sorry for being so long-winded.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:46 pm 

Oops!  Meant to post this in "Introduce yourselves, fellow collectors."  My bad.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:49 pm 

*waves* hey there. dont worry, welcome to the acaeum! :)

have fun and be prepared to watch your credit card bend a lot :D

Al

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:03 pm 

Guillam wrote:I also collect art supplements from White Wolf's "Vampire: The Masquerade" game and whatever else in the fantasy/SF genre catches my fancy.

So, anyway, Hi!  :)  And sorry for being so long-winded.

Hey there Guillam...welcome to the Acaeum.  Any particular artists you prefer?  You mention Vampire specifically.  I dont collect art but I consider Tim Bradstreet's artwork to be some of the best out there.  I love the stuff he did for Vampire and Shadowrun.  I got to meet him at a local comicon in Dallas a couple of years ago.  Real nice guy!  He was doing covers for The Punisher at the time and I got a couple of comics signed by him.  Too bad I had spent most of my cash on other stuff earlier...he was also selling autographed copies of his sketchbook, but I wasnt able to afford it.  :(

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:24 pm 

Guillam wrote:Oops!  Meant to post this in "Introduce yourselves, fellow collectors."  My bad.

You did it wrong! You have to start all over!

Actually, I think you'll find us a fairly low-key bunch here ... I'd almost say harmonious. For instance, we are all in perfect agreement on topics such as sniping, handling charges, overseas shipping, who leaves feedback first, etc. Just be sure to count your fingers and toes if someone spots an ST1; things can get a little vicious at that point.

Anyway, welcome. In all seriousness, you'll find some very helpful folks here. I've lost count of the number of times I've had questions answered quickly and accurately.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:13 pm 

Thank you Killjoy and Xaxaxe, you're making me feel right at home. :D

Kingofpain, Tim Bradstreet is absolutely one of my favorites.  I love the realism in his work.  Almost like Albrecht Durer meets Sam Spade (outside a Nine Inch Nails concert).  His web site (TimBradstreet.com) contains some fascinating early sketches and photos from some of his better-known illos.  Unfortunately it hasn't been updated in a while.  On the TSR side, Larry Elmore, Clyde Caldwell and Keith Parkinson.  Elmore's portrait of the witch on the cover of Dragon #150 has always haunted me (in a good way).  Another favorite is his cover of FR5 Savage Frontier, which somehow reminds me of an SCA gathering....  :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:34 pm 

Welcome Guillam.

If closet space is your big need...well...I am sure there would be volunteers to "store" it for you.   :lol:

I never let a little thing like...you know...physical space stop me from collecting.   8O

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:40 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
I never let a little thing like...you know...physical space stop me from collecting.   8O

Mark   8)

Could not agree more..

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own