Keraptis
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:09 pm 

Hi Fellas!  I am crrently writing a little supplement( 3 rooms) to the module S2 white plume moiuntain! The author clearly leaves room for such an undertaking and i have decided to finish it for personal use! I would appreciate feedback on this first room i have designed -especially comments in regards to weaponless combat that takes place in this room!
For now i will title this room #28:

28: Stairs lead down 100 feet from the secret door at area #9 to this room which is Keraptis'
indoctrination center! The room rectangular in shape has a dozen steel operating tables com-
plete with heavy  duty  leather  restraining straps.  There  are  bizarre  looking  instruments including
glass beakers,test tubes,and every manner of apparatus used for chemistry available. Next to
one of the operating tables is  a steel tray  containing  several  hypodermic  needles(a rather
primitive version that is).In this room are what is left of Keraptis' renegade gnomes  they are
fanatically dedicated to keraptis and have been running the indoctrination center here at the
mountain for centuries! 12 gnomes(AC:5 MV:6" HD:4th level fighters HP:36,27,25,22,22,20,
20,20,19,18,16,16; #AT: 1 D: 1-6 (short sword) SA: grapple)-six  of  them  will  attempt  to
grapple the first player to enter the room if they are successfull  they  will inject  him  with  a
hypo(thus paralyzing him/her for 1 turn-no save) and strap him onto one of the tables(once bound characters of less than 20 strength will be unable to free themselves)  while
doing this they will laugh horrendously and hysterically, they will be covered by  the  other  6
gnomes who will imediately draw their short swords and engage the party to  prevent  them
from giving aid to thier first victim!Meanwhile the gnomes leader Garnet Grimgold ( AC:-2 due
to 18 dexterity and +3 chainmail, 5th level fighter/7th level illusionist; HP:44 #AT:1 D: 1-4 +3
due to magic hammer-double damage when thrown; SA: illusionist spells) will  stay at  the far
end of the battle casting spells, throwing his hammer +3 dwarven thrower(specially enchant-
ed by  Keraptis'  so  as to be wielded by a gnome with  the  same  result as  dwarves! )  and
shouting orders to his crew. his memorized spells are:change self,color spray,hypnotism,wall of
fog,detect magic,mirror image,ventriloquism,non-detection, and paralyzation. He will begin his
attacks by attempting to cast his paralyzation spell on the second character that  enters  the
room. If this is successful the 6 gnomes that are engaged in grappling will strap the paralyzed
character to a table as soon as they are done with the first victim! After his paralyzation spell
Grimgold will attempt to follow up by casting a mirror image  on  himself  then  he  will  begin
hurling his magic hammer at the party in the following rounds. If the battle starts to go badly
for the gnomes Grimgold will order his grapplers (operating assisstants)  to  draw  their  short
swords and attack with them otherwise all 6 will continue to overwhelm one  character  at a
time until all are strapped to tables. If the battle is obviously lost to the gnomes Grimgold will
cast a wall of fog in front of himself and  attempt  to  escape  to  area  29 by  the back door
there he will make his final  stand  assissting  the  black  dragon  in  any  way  possible. These
gnomes will not be surprised as Keraptis' has informed them of the parties presence moments
before thier arrival . searching of the room and any of the fallen gnomes(besides Grimgold) will
reveal no treasure. however the lab equipment could fetch 500GP from an alchemist in a large
city if kept intact and complete. Also in the northeast corner of the room is a dresser  with  a
book on it. This is Grimgold's spellbook containg the following spells:
                1st level: change self,color spray,darkness,detect invisibility,hypnotism,phantasmal
                             force,wall of fog
                2nd level: blur,detect magic,improved phantasmal force,invisibility,magic mouth,
                              mirror image,ventriloquism
                3rd level:  fear,invisibility 10' radius,non-detection,paralyzation,spectral force

If the characters are defeated they will all be brainwashed (treat those reduced to 0 or  less
hit points as knocked unconscious) by  a method  involving drugs,hypnotism, and minor brain
surgery!!!They will be placed as guards in the upper level and this will effectively end this ad-
venture! However this may create a new adventure perhaps friends and/or  family  will  offer
rewards for thier return and a new party will take up the cause(it would be tricky to subdue
these new guardians without permanently harming them!!!) In any event nothing short of a
restoration or wish spell will restore them to thier normal selves due to the brain surgery.
DM NOTE: the weaponless combat table on pages 72-73 of the dungeon masters guide will
be needed to determine the outcome of grappling,each of the gnomes should be considered
as having 15 strength and 16 dexterity for this purpose. Once one gnome scores a succesful
grapple the next gnome attacking will gain +20% on his percentage due to the fact that the
player will be so encumbered by the first attacker as to be considered slowed or stunned on
the "to hit" grappling table.Once two have scored hits the fight is effectively over as 3 of the
other gnomes will also grab hold automatically and the final gnome will  inject the player with
the hypo. Regardless of how quickly any character is overpowered it should take a full  round
additional for the gnomes to carry him over to the table and strap him in. If the DM does not
wish to use the weaponless combat table he can simply give the victory automatically to the gnomes, in such an instance they will take one melee round to grapple  and  overpower and
one additional round to strap the player to the table. This is  not  too  unreasonable  as  this
portion of the battle is designed to be a mismatch in favor of the gnomes and may force the
party to prevail without one or two of thier strongest fighters!! That magic -user better save
the day or the party could be in big trouble!     

Well that's it for now -what do you think? BIG QUESTION--what level do you think Keraptis should be? Everything seems to point to him being 18th level archmage when you consider there are permanency magicks and such throughout the mountain but obviously this would be hard to balance with characters ranging fron 5-10th level--perhaps i should make him a bit senile from his vast age thereby forgetting his most powerful spells!

Posted: seeking arcane knowledge, will pay well for old writings,books,scrolls,alchemist cookbooks, and other odds n' ends that will aid me in furthering my pursuits!

-Thenraine the silver magus

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:28 pm 

What is it about White plume Mountain that gets people's minds racing? Hell, I love it so much, I decided I had to have it all: :)

White Plume Mountain checklist

As far as Keraptis goes ... he needs to be hela-tough. Like Acererak tough. Or maybe even Chuck Norris.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:17 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:What is it about White plume Mountain that gets people's minds racing? Hell, I love it so much, I decided I had to have it all: :)

White Plume Mountain checklist

As far as Keraptis goes ... he needs to be hela-tough. Like Acererak tough. Or maybe even Chuck Norris.

i just wonder if he should be someone who you cant actually beat permanently or something....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:26 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:i just wonder if he should be someone who you cant actually beat permanently or something....

That is, very broadly speaking, the premise for the two major WPM "expansions" I can think of (Dungeon Magazine #77 and Return to WPM).

It sort of boils down to: who (or what?) is Keraptis? Can he (it) be slain? Even so, will he (it) return? Is there even really a Keraptis? It boggles the mind ... :)

+++++

BTW, Thenraine, I think you should make the final encounter in your dungeon a showdown between the PCs and Keraptis, Acererak, and Warduke.* Make those snotty players earn it.

+++++

*and Chuck Norris.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:31 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:i just wonder if he should be someone who you cant actually beat permanently or something....

That is, very broadly speaking, the premise for the two major WPM "expansions" I can think of (Dungeon Magazine #77 and Return to WPM).

It sort of boils down to: who (or what?) is Keraptis? Can he (it) be slain? Even so, will he (it) return? Is there even really a Keraptis? It boggles the mind ... :)

+++++

BTW, Thenraine, I think you should make the final encounter in your dungeon a showdown between the PCs and Keraptis, Acererak, and Warduke.* Make those snotty players earn it.

+++++

*and Chuck Norris.

chick norris :)

yeah new module CN1: The Return of Chuck Norris. the module is one page.

characters go into a room and have to make a saving throw of a natural 20 or they are dead from a severe attack of bad-ass. :D

seriously though, the other point to consider, is that by getting to be an 18th level/archmage, youve prb learned some shit and then some and would be almost on the point of being immortal in some way anyway ....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:44 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:i just wonder if he should be

characters go into a room and have to make a saving throw of a natural 20 or they are dead from a severe attack of bad-ass. :D

seriously though, the other point to consider, is that by getting to be an 18th level/archmage, youve prb learned some shit and then some and would be almost on the point of being immortal in some way anyway ....

Al

Sorry, Conan already has that one nailed down. :wink:   Unless of course Chuck Norris really wants it, and then well we all know how that will end up. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:47 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:i just wonder if he should be

Al

Sorry, Conan already has that one nailed down. :wink:   Unless of course Chuck Norris really wants it, and then well we all know how that will end up. :P

Conan would kill Chuck, I'm not talking about Arnold or the movies..I mean Howard's Conan.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:48 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Sorry, Conan already has that one nailed down. :wink:   Unless of course CHuck Norris really wants it, and then well we all know how that will end up. :P

oh yeah i forgot the CN1 module yeah....thats for the conan game system isnt it (ie not the TSR AD&D system) - prb why it slipped my mind at the time, but yeah Chuck (i can call you chuck cant i, mr norris?)....could have the the number if he wanted it :D

i see a new cleric spell in the works "protection from badass, 10' R" :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:50 pm 

Plaag wrote:Conan would kill Chuck, I'm not talking about Arnold or the movies..I mean Howard's Conan.

ShaneG.

shane you must be drinking mate. you gotta be kidding right?

dont forget chucks +75 Full Plate of Badass. His aura of badass does like 335HD of damage....

REH's conan, might be good with the babes and sorting out the local riff-raff, but man, sorry, this is just a totally different ball game we're talking here :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:51 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:

Al

I don't know, from what I hear, even the 9th level version of "protection from baddass, 10' R" can't even stop Chuck for long.  :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:53 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:

Al

I don't know, from what I hear, even the 9th level version of "protection from baddass, 10' R" can't even stop Chuck for long.  :lol:

well there we have it then :)

Keraptis can stay at home with his feet up and just send chuck along to sort out the PCs for a bit of light leisure :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:55 pm 

Thenraine wrote:BIG QUESTION--what level do you think Keraptis should be? Everything seems to point to him being 18th level archmage ...

You know, I'm not sure you should have a real Keraptis. I've been reviewing all of my WPM material, and I've been reminded of how consistently all of the various authors just wrote around the subject. Minions, yes; powerful magic, yes; false leads and strange clues, yes; avatars of big K, yes ... but the actual Keraptis? No.

If you want to follow in some big footsteps, keep Mr. K behind the curtain. Of course, it's your adventure: the most important thing is to be happy with your work and to have fun.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:59 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:If you want to follow in some big footsteps, keep Mr. K behind the curtain. Of course, it's your adventure: the most important thing is to be happy with your work and to have fun.

i think you have it spot-on there. if you think about it, most of the BIG adversaries like that, will throw everything at something first and when they have exhausted every possible obstacle, then they would deal with it - but lets face it, it shouldnt ever get to that. someone with that much power and influence would have a VERY long arm indeed.

i agree. keep him "almost" out of sight and "almost" within reach but never quite there....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:59 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:If you want to follow in some big footsteps, keep Mr. K behind the curtain. Of course, it's your adventure: the most important thing is to be happy with your work and to have fun.

i think you have it spot-on there. if you think about it, most of the BIG adversaries like that, will throw everything at something first and when they have exhausted every possible obstacle, then they would deal with it - but lets face it, it shouldnt ever get to that. someone with that much power and influence would have a VERY long arm indeed.

i agree. keep him "almost" out of sight and "almost" within reach but never quite there....

Al

hmm....never considered that! I guess from all the years of playing it i just always wanted to actually encounter the nasty bugger! I have thought up some background that would explain big K's longevity maybe i will post that in the near future. Everything i have done is just protoypical at this point and I am really taking my time with this as i hope it plays well when finished! I sure wish i could draw well! Wonder what Dee would charge :lol:  :?:  --anyway i went a little bit out on a limb with this first room as I never really used weaponless combat in my campaigns when i was younger but am very interested in it! what do you think of the concept for this room that i posted? Any suggestions ?

Posted: seeking arcane knowledge, will pay well for old writings,books,scrolls,alchemist cookbooks, and other odds n' ends that will aid me in furthering my pursuits!

-Thenraine the silver magus

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:07 am 

Conan and Chuck can't really fight, because everyone knows that Conan is Chuck's ancestor, it all makes sense once you think about it (how else did Norris get so damn badass without Conan somewhere in the family tree?).

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:13 am 

Thenraine wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:

Al

hmm....never considered that! I guess from all the years of playing it i just always wanted to actually encounter the nasty bugger! I have thought up some background that would explain big K's longevity maybe i will post that in the near future. Everything i have done is just protoypical at this point and I am really taking my time with this as i hope it plays well when finished! I sure wish i could draw well! Wonder what Dee would charge :lol:  :?:  --anyway i went a little bit out on a limb with this first room as I never really used weaponless combat in my campaigns when i was younger but am very interested in it! what do you think of the concept for this room that i posted? Any suggestions ?

Well, when I ran the module about 20 years ago for the first time, I said that the Big K was long dead....his legacy was kept alive by a cabal of minor sorcerers that used his legend to scare the hell out of people.  Their leader was a female lich who while formidable was able to be defeated, which the party eventually did after several adventures.  However, whenever the current leader was defeated, someone else from the cabal just took the role and thus the legend of Keraptis was perpetrated for centuries... making him immortal (in a way) and unable to ever be totally defeated.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:15 pm 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Love this thread. My gut hurts now. Conan would need at least a +10 handicap on all rolls to stand a chance against Chuck's constant natural 20s. He would surely fail his savingthrow vs ChuckNorris. There is simply no defense.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:26 pm 

This is good for a few, Al if you havent already seen it...

http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

Now back to your regularly scheduled White Plume mt revision....

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Next