Interesting Items Thread
Poll: What would people prefer was posted in the 'Interesting Items' thread?

Pretty much anything (and everything) you like 80%       80%  [ 32 ]
Only the most carefully selected choicest items 10%       10%  [ 4 ]
Nothing - step away from my auction, scoundrel! 10%       10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 40

Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:12 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:offers him to join "Al's luck at getting stuff on ebay"

Hey, that's pretty harsh, Al.  :cry:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:24 pm 

ExTSR wrote:

hey listen, i might win 1 or 2 in about 20.

but thats ok, i live with it and dont mind. i only get REALLY pissed some of the time :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:05 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:
You want to know what really pisses me off though?  Besides the fact that the Texas Rangers lost tonight....not one single person on this site thought my Dave Arneson Sex, Lies, and Videotape thingy was funny.  Would Gary's autographed copy of Sweatin' to the Oldies be funnier?  No???  Fine then...be that way...see if I care.  :roll:
:D

Maybe you're just crabby because you realize the Cubbies suck worse than the Rangers this year.... :twisted:

Mike B.

You got me there Mike.  The Cubs have set a new record in futility.  If I was a betting man and they were playing the Royals...I would pick the Royals.  This year's team looks worse off than in '96 (I think) where they lost their first 13 games to start off the year.  Oh well...doesnt matter.  It is a Cubs' fan lot in life to suffer.  :cry:

Actually I was more crabby because my beer ($6) at the game cost as much as the ticket.  But I am all better now after watching X-Men 3 today.  Pretty decent flick to start off the summer.  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:10 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:But I am all better now after watching X-Men 3 today.  Pretty decent flick to start off the summer.  :D

you think? i thought it was absolute bobbins and how they can call THAT an x-men film is beyond me man.  :?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:54 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:But I am all better now after watching X-Men 3 today.  Pretty decent flick to start off the summer.  :D

you think? i thought it was absolute bobbins and how they can call THAT an x-men film is beyond me man.  :?

Al

Was it as good as the first two?  No way.  As a life-long fan of the comic book I wish they would have done it differently.  But how can you bring something as grandiose as Dark Phoenix to the silver screen without making some significant changes.  I wont go into any details because I dont want to give anything away for the people that havent seen it yet.  But as far as comic-book movies go I thought it was fun and entertaining.  Storm has a much better part in this film.  Wolverine is still his bad-ass self.  Colossus, Iceman, and Kitty Pryde actually get to do something this time.  I was disappointed in Juggernaut's bits...poor Vinnie Jones' talent was wasted.  Kelsey Grammer made a very convincing Beast.  What happened to Cyclops was also unexpected but I guess was necessary to fuel the story.  I thought the last battle scenes of the Brotherhood vs. The X-Men were particularly good.

If I went into every movie that was spun out from a novel or comics hoping for exactly what was in said comic or novel, I would probably be dissapointed every time I go to the movies.

With that said, I think it will bring in less profit than the first two movies and I think Superman Returns will blow it out of the water.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:56 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
ExTSR wrote:

hey listen, i might win 1 or 2 in about 20.

but thats ok, i live with it and dont mind. i only get REALLY pissed some of the time :)

Al

Geez, I'd kill for 1 or 2 in 20.  Maybe we should make up "Acaeum Cards" and list our stats on the back?  We could put the avatar on the front.  :D

I think I just invented the meta-collectible.  :?

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:04 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:

Al

Was it as good as the first two?  No way.  As a life-long fan of the comic book I wish they would have done it differently.  But how can you bring something as grandiose as Dark Phoenix to the silver screen without making some significant changes.  I wont go into any details because I dont want to give anything away for the people that havent seen it yet.  But as far as comic-book movies go I thought it was fun and entertaining.  Storm has a much better part in this film.  Wolverine is still his bad-ass self.  Colossus, Iceman, and Kitty Pryde actually get to do something this time.  I was disappointed in Juggernaut's bits...poor Vinnie Jones' talent was wasted.  Kelsey Grammer made a very convincing Beast.  What happened to Cyclops was also unexpected but I guess was necessary to fuel the story.  I thought the last battle scenes of the Brotherhood vs. The X-Men were particularly good.

If I went into every movie that was spun out from a novel or comics hoping for exactly what was in said comic or novel, I would probably be dissapointed every time I go to the movies.

With that said, I think it will bring in less profit than the first two movies and I think Superman Returns will blow it out of the water.

With Bryan Singer directing it I would expect nothing less.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:51 pm 

Marlith wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:

Al

With Bryan Singer directing it I would expect nothing less.

I'm with King...I remember the old days of the Shazam, Spiderman, Wonder Woman and such TV shows that were absolute shite.  Nowdays, anything even RESEMBLING coherence, good acting and plot in a comic book movie gets cheers from me. Plus, can you imagine 20 years ago top shelf stars like Ian McKellan (oscar nominated), Kelsey Grammar (Emmy Winner),  Halle Berry (oscar winner) and Anna Paquin (oscar winner) coming anywhere near anything with comic book characters in it?  Nicholson did it for Batman, but that's the only one I can think of.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:15 pm 

I'm late on the thread, but will post my thoughts anyway.

In my experience, the Interesting Items thread has been both good and bad - there have been a number of times when I've seen items posted that I had missed in my searches, items I've been after, and I'm able to bid thanks to the post. But also, I've found a couple of decent items at a good price myself, kept an eye on them with my fingers crossed that nobody else sees them, but then a link appears in the thread and the bids start coming in.

Both of those events are a fact of life. I don't mind losing an auction to another Acaeum member - and at the same time, I don't mind bidding against them either. Balancing up the pros and cons, I look at the stuff I've won thanks to the thread and I think it far outweighs the stuff I might have lost. I mean, getting to know about an item you'd otherwise have missed is more important than maybe having a little extra competition on other items.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:16 pm 

Uh, can't wait till it gets to Italian cinemas, too!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:40 am 

the x-men films i think were all an absolute bag of crap.

i think they totally sucked (bar for maybe some special effects and halle berry in some tight fitting costumes) and i quite liked wolverine and rogue - colossus was ok too, but i think the plots / story lines they chose were absolutely awful.

me personally, i was hoping that the 2nd or 3rd film would have been along the "savage lands" plot. i think that would have been amazing.

anyway its aimed at the masses and it will gross nicely on the cinema, but for the x-men geeks out there, they will prb cringe.

now we have ghost rider and the silver surfer on their way...will they totally suck too, or will they make a good job of it...who knows.

Al

ps. sorry this was massively off-topic. i should stop that.

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:08 am 

killjoy32 wrote:now we have ghost rider and the silver surfer on their way...will they totally suck too, or will they make a good job of it...who knows.

Ghostrider ... thats the one with Nicholas Cage.  Definitely a fan.

They filmed it in Melbourne. I remember they did one scene across the road from my old work.  Converted a laneway into a garage.  Now I just need to find the photos I took.  One of my colleagues had a contact on set and we used to get updates as to when he was on set or when they were going to blow stuff up.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:46 am 

improvstone wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:now we have ghost rider and the silver surfer on their way...will they totally suck too, or will they make a good job of it...who knows.

Ghostrider ... thats the one with Nicholas Cage.  Definitely a fan.

They filmed it in Melbourne. I remember they did one scene across the road from my old work.  Converted a laneway into a garage.  Now I just need to find the photos I took.  One of my colleagues had a contact on set and we used to get updates as to when he was on set or when they were going to blow stuff up.

mike

you should write to harry on aint-it-cool-news mate. they are always interested in that sorta stuff..

i always liked ghost rider, though silver surfer was always my fave by a long shot.

i just hope they do it justice. i saw a teaser of it a while back and it looked like it could be pretty cool, so lets keep our fingers crossed on that one.

i'd personally like to see a solo wolverine film now tbh. poss with rogue or jubilee along...that would be quite cool.

or a type of west coast avengers type...

or even x-factor

one of the best comic series i read for ages, was excalibur - that was quite refreshing from the usual mould of stuff...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:42 am 

killjoy32 wrote:the x-men films i think were all an absolute bag of crap.

i think they totally sucked (bar for maybe some special effects and halle berry in some tight fitting costumes) and i quite liked wolverine and rogue - colossus was ok too, but i think the plots / story lines they chose were absolutely awful.

me personally, i was hoping that the 2nd or 3rd film would have been along the "savage lands" plot. i think that would have been amazing.

anyway its aimed at the masses and it will gross nicely on the cinema, but for the x-men geeks out there, they will prb cringe.

now we have ghost rider and the silver surfer on their way...will they totally suck too, or will they make a good job of it...who knows.

Al

ps. sorry this was massively off-topic. i should stop that.

The 3rd movie actually scares me. I read an article on a comic book, stating the huge sarabanda of characters who make their appearance in the X-Men 3. This makes me fear that the movie might be weaker as to content. In particular, I shiver at the thought of seeing the Dark Phoenix saga rewritten without the intergalactic travels made by the X-Men (especially without the Shi'ar).

I did not know of a Silver Surfer movie. That might be very interesting.