Interesting Items Thread
Poll: What would people prefer was posted in the 'Interesting Items' thread?

Pretty much anything (and everything) you like 80%       80%  [ 32 ]
Only the most carefully selected choicest items 10%       10%  [ 4 ]
Nothing - step away from my auction, scoundrel! 10%       10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 40

Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:04 pm 

bclarkie wrote:A bit OT(what else is new  :roll: ), but did anyone else get the vision of a nice juicy steak when reading Mr Bus' second option in the poll. :D

Sounds like a line from an Outback commercial :wink:

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:35 pm 

I personally do not see any problem what so ever with the thread the way it is now!  As long as people who post tell us what the link actually points to so we do not waste our time looking at B2 listings!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:36 pm 

Lemme get this straight...

Somebody posts about an item for sale.

It's something I'd have missed, so I get a shot at it. (I'm probably outbid as usual; happens in over 90% of the auctions I bid on.)

The competition might make the item go a little higher, and the seller might get a fair price instead of getting screwed. (But we all know values so well that the seller isn't gonna make a fortune -- at least not from OUR bidding. eBay Noobs maybe.)

But to me this argument seems to boil down to this:

I get a chance at something; the seller doesn't get screwed; and this is therefore a Bad Thing.

Do I have that right?

:?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:24 pm 

Obviously some of you haven't been hosed quite as frequently by the "Interesting Items" thread, or have significant quantities of cash to throw arond, or both.  The point is moot, as we can't exactly stop anyone from posting whatever they want.

In my opinion, the issue is not only about what is "interesting", it's about common courtesy, as well.  If you know that an Acaeum member has expressed a serious interest in an item, and particularly if you consider that person to be a friend, you don't announce that auction to the world.  If you're not going to bid on it, why not let someone else score a deal, occasionally?  (I'm not referring to snipes, here.  If you haven't made your intentions known, we're not expected to be mind-readers.)

Is there a particular interest in the continued price increase of these collectibles?  That certainly seems to be the intent, and the result.  Are you concerned about the sellers?  They can take care of themselves -- that's why they have reserves, BINs, etc.  You might miss something?  Try looking harder.  I miss stuff all the time.

I'm sure there will be vigorous counter-argument on the subject, but I don't really care.  It's disappointing enough that the majority of you disagree.

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:32 pm 

Enough has been said on this. I will continue as I have until told otherwise or blocked from the forum.  Comments directed my way do no even justify more of a recognition or a respose than this.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:01 am 

No one can determine what is an interesting item since we all have different thoughts on what is interesting.  As was mentioned, to perhaps help "separate the wheat from the chaff", I would vote for a new sticky for interesting rare items.  I suspect people will not like that one either, though, if it reveals a previously hidden gem. :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:49 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:Does that mean GDQ1-7 isnt interesting? Hell no, but most people on here probably have one already and arent looking for one...unless its shrinkwrapped or they are resellers.

1. I don't have one;

2. I'm very interested;

3. I don't require shrinkwrap, nor am I a re-seller.

So where do I fit in? Are you saying a GDQ1-7 should never be posted, since "most people" have one? Why should I be penalized and unable to take advantage of someone pointing me in the right direction? Is The Acaeum only for the Uber-Collectors who already have five of everything and are shooting for a sixth? Should you all maybe just form your own Uber-Collector site and leave us peasants to fight over your scraps?

Okay, obviously I'm laying it on somewhat thick and just using King's post as a springboard to some general thoughts (it's not personal, King, just a springboard). But I really, really don't want to have "interesting" defined for me. Split the threads, if need be, into multiple stickies, but don't assume that my "interesting" is the same as yours.

What the hell is a springboard?  Sounds personal to me!  :P   Sorry that you dont have a Queen of Spiders X.  Mind you I just have just one of them and it is one of those well-loved editions.

An Uber-collector I am not and I am not sure I ever will be.  Especially if becoming one means I have to spend $700 for a woodgrain that looks like someone's dog pissed all over it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 4&rd=1&ssp agename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I have no real problem with the thread as it currently stands.  If someone wants to post a listing for B2, X1, or GDQ1-7 then that is fine with me.  I myself would rather see the more uncommon and rare stuff posted though simply because it's harder to find.  I dont have time to search through every nook and cranny on Ebay using all the different possible misspellings of the word "Metamorphosis" every single day.  Some people do and it is nice when they post the link to that Metamorfisizing Alfalfa auction that was put in the Breweriana section.  :wink:

You want to know what really pisses me off though?  Besides the fact that the Texas Rangers lost tonight....not one single person on this site thought my Dave Arneson Sex, Lies, and Videotape thingy was funny.  Would Gary's autographed copy of Sweatin' to the Oldies be funnier?  No???  Fine then...be that way...see if I care.  :roll:

This is actually kinda funny:

http://www.icecreamsource.com/detail.as ... _ID=IBJ280

Chocolate cows.  How appropriate.  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:22 am 

deimos3428 wrote:In my opinion, the issue is not only about what is "interesting", it's about common courtesy, as well.  If you know that an Acaeum member has expressed a serious interest in an item, and particularly if you consider that person to be a friend, you don't announce that auction to the world.  If you're not going to bid on it, why not let someone else score a deal, occasionally?  (I'm not referring to snipes, here.  If you haven't made your intentions known, we're not expected to be mind-readers.)

Personally I don't care if an item is listed here or not.   I take the view that once it is on eBay it is listed for the whole world to see.  I also try and not bid against my friends here unless it is a rare and then all bets are off :-)

I also don't like seeing members take personal swipes at each other. Especially valuation board members.   :wink:  So disagree, by all means, but keep the personal stuff to yourself, period!

Now if it will help I will write a small web app which tracks items people are interested in.  In that way before you post an interesting item you can check if someone is after one and give them 1st crack.  Having said that all bets are off when it comes to the rares ... :-)

Now back to more interesting things .. like assisting Pied Piper ...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:46 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:What the hell is a springboard?  Sounds personal to me!  :P

Yeah, you caught me; I didn't know how many languages you were familiar with. "Springboard" is Portuguese for "that guy just posted a really inane thought."

That does it: I'm going to start insulting people in Latin from now on. :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:08 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:That does it: I'm going to start insulting people in Latin from now on. :wink:

now you could class THAT as interesting, so go for it :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:29 am 

IMHO, I had figured that any item that an individual thought was interesting (caught their eye), was game (all puns intended). Sometimes I think to myself, "WTF?", and other times I see something here and think, "That's cool". It is a personal view thing, right?

As for it "bringing to light" items that some would rather not have done so to, at what point can anyone make that distinction? Was this site created with the intention of only talking about items?

I thought we were a community of sorts. Or is this someone's personal site?

Is it an all or nothing thing?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:18 am 

X-man, I think I have an extra Queen. I'll check and PM you.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:10 am 

I think a lot of people have shared the experience of seeing something, have it appear on the board, and see the price take-off. It's frustrating as hell.

I've posted quite a few items where I know they have had interest in the past, but for whatever reason I haven't been able to bid on them at the time. I have not always checked on who has bid on them.

I would prefer an item to be listed than missed altogether.

I appreciate the fact that an item I may be interested in appears, if I've missed it, even though I know then I may have a fight to win it.

Yes I would prefer to get it cheaply, but given the option of not having a chance to bid on something at all, I'll take my chances.

Sometimes there aren't enough hours in the day to dig deep enough on EBay by yourself.

It can be particularly frustrating for re-sellers, with their eye on a particular item/group.

What would have happened if the recent Woodie that blackmoor won had not been posted because someone knew that someone else wanted it, and they had bid $8.00 on it? I hadn't caught that one at the start but was definitely interested in what it went for.

Other items that have been mispelt (spell check please 8O ) also spring to mind.

I don't think the current system is perfect, it could be split to reflect the '4-5 scale items' 'and all others' (or countless other ways of slicing it up) But I do think it's the best option we have at the moment (great work Scott) and we can't necessarily put anyone down for posting items just 'cause we wanted it kept quiet.

The thread should never be used in a vindictive way, ie listing items just to get back at someone. I haven't seen this happen yet and hopefully won't. Any item thought to be interesting by any memebr should be allowed. You can always PM the person and request they edit their post if you really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really don't want it posted. (Then, it may just get re-posted anyway by someone else!!)

We're a collecting community, so we should be collecting (go for it yeah!), but we shouldn't forget the community side of it too in what & how we say things.

Just my B3's worth

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:14 am 

2nd transmission of above deleted  :oops:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:16 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
You want to know what really pisses me off though?  Besides the fact that the Texas Rangers lost tonight....not one single person on this site thought my Dave Arneson Sex, Lies, and Videotape thingy was funny.  Would Gary's autographed copy of Sweatin' to the Oldies be funnier?  No???  Fine then...be that way...see if I care.  :roll:
:D

Maybe you're just crabby because you realize the Cubbies suck worse than the Rangers this year.... :twisted:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:27 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

This is actually kinda funny:
http://www.icecreamsource.com/detail.as ... _ID=IBJ280
Chocolate cows.  How appropriate.  :D

I was just trying to keep the images out of my head....if I wake in the middle of the night screaming because of images that created I will have to find a way to repay you. And just in case Dave reads this nothing personal but I like the idea of keeping that an Andi MacDowell and Laura San Giacomo image.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:40 pm 

I am going to go on record and apoligize to all involved in this mess.  This was certainly not my intention to start all this sh*t up.  I let my frustration over items being posted that I was hoping would slip through boil over the other night and into yesterday and it ended in this big mess.  :(  This was absolutely not my intent.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:45 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I am going to go on record and apoligize to all involved in this mess.  This was certainly not my intention to start all this sh*t up.  I let my frustration over items being posted that I was hoping would slip through boil over the other night and into yesterday and it ended in this big mess.  :(  This was absolutely not my intent.

*pats BC on the back and offers him to join "Al's luck at getting stuff on ebay" club *

:D

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext