Interesting Items Thread
Poll: What would people prefer was posted in the 'Interesting Items' thread?

Pretty much anything (and everything) you like 80%       80%  [ 32 ]
Only the most carefully selected choicest items 10%       10%  [ 4 ]
Nothing - step away from my auction, scoundrel! 10%       10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 40

Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:04 pm 

I am not sure why this even being discussed. If the purpose of this forum is gauge the value of items then preventing listings that point them out and having items slip by does not serve the purpose.

As to the value of the items it is not like I am pointing out Isles of Dread or the like (though since I started typping this someone has stated they will flood it with B2s and I have commented on that above). From what I can pick up on the issue is not with the posts cluttering a thread. It is with an item that might have not been seen being brought into the daylight as it were. When I post an item it is usually one that I know or have seen a level of interest in the past. I will not post these if the current winning bid is held by a forum member as then I assume it to be "in play" as it were.

If the thread gets killed I for one and I suspect others would be sorely disappointed. I think killing it because it prevents some on here from getting bargains for either collecting or worse reselling goes in the face of its determining values and rarities. If that were the case I would simply fill the void with a thread such as "Marlith's eBay Bargain Sightings" and/or move the postings to another site. There are a lot of hungry buyers at Dragonsfoot I have been told. Wonder how the posts would be received there?

I guess at the end of the day I am sick of the sh#t and time spent discussing what should be a non-issue. Makes me want to do it all the more though. Run me down, discuss it at length, post snide comments or anything else you care to do until it is clearly said I can't post these I won't stop.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:16 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Does that mean GDQ1-7 isnt interesting? Hell no, but most people on here probably have one already and arent looking for one...unless its shrinkwrapped or they are resellers.

1. I don't have one;

2. I'm very interested;

3. I don't require shrinkwrap, nor am I a re-seller.

So where do I fit in? Are you saying a GDQ1-7 should never be posted, since "most people" have one? Why should I be penalized and unable to take advantage of someone pointing me in the right direction? Is The Acaeum only for the Uber-Collectors who already have five of everything and are shooting for a sixth? Should you all maybe just form your own Uber-Collector site and leave us peasants to fight over your scraps?

Okay, obviously I'm laying it on somewhat thick and just using King's post as a springboard to some general thoughts (it's not personal, King, just a springboard). But I really, really don't want to have "interesting" defined for me. Split the threads, if need be, into multiple stickies, but don't assume that my "interesting" is the same as yours.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:21 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:Does that mean GDQ1-7 isnt interesting? Hell no, but most people on here probably have one already and arent looking for one...unless its shrinkwrapped or they are resellers.

1. I don't have one;

2. I'm very interested;

3. I don't require shrinkwrap, nor am I a re-seller.

So where do I fit in? Are you saying a GDQ1-7 should never be posted, since "most people" have one? Why should I be penalized and unable to take advantage of someone pointing me in the right direction? Is The Acaeum only for the Uber-Collectors who already have five of everything and are shooting for a sixth? Should you all maybe just form your own Uber-Collector site and leave us peasants to fight over your scraps?

Okay, obviously I'm laying it on somewhat thick and just using King's post as a springboard to some general thoughts (it's not personal, King, just a springboard). But I really, really don't want to have "interesting" defined for me. Split the threads, if need be, into multiple stickies, but don't assume that my "interesting" is the same as yours.

X makes a good point. One person's interesting is another person's trash, and vice versa. Items I personally find interesting are actually very oddball and specialized and don't even include any of the Biggies (although I do like to track the prices of those).  I don't see how this can be defined narrowly enough to totally satisfy anyone completely.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:22 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/AD-D-Module-B3-Pala ... dZViewItem

B3.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:28 pm 

Thanks...speaks volumes.  :cry:

It's not even in the right thread. Here is a link you can follow in the future..  :lol:

viewtopic.php?t=3587

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:53 pm 

I've posted rare items that I had intentions of bidding on (and did bid on), but I've also on occasion asked other members not to post an item that I was interested in.  When I spot someting I really want, but don't post, I usually expect it to show up on the Interesting thread eventually.  I just figure that's the nature of the game, with so many eyes watching, trolling, etc.  

However, one principle I try to stick to is not posting an item that a member has already placed a bid on, though I might have slipped once or twice on that one.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:22 pm 

Marlith wrote:Wow! That is not only mature but it helps the forum community. I see now I was worng not taking all your complaining to heart  :lol:  Took the ball home alot of times as a kid I bet.

I'd respond to that, but its not even worth it.  

Marlith wrote:If the thread gets killed I for one and I suspect others would be sorely disappointed. I think killing it because it prevents some on here from getting bargains for either collecting or worse reselling goes in the face of its determining values and rarities.  If that were the case I would simply fill the void with a thread such as "Marlith's eBay Bargain Sightings" and/or move the postings to another site.

Pretty hypocritcal if you ask me.  Didn't you just say something about taking your ball and going home as a kid, seems that you know a lot about that subject.......

Marlith wrote:There are a lot of hungry buyers at Dragonsfoot I have been told. Wonder how the posts would be received there?

Go ahead, take it there, except they don't want it.  Steve, the owner of the site, is grudgeingly allowing peoples own EBay posts in the classified forum.  So go ahead, post away over there and lets see if they don't lock it immediately.

Marlith wrote:I am not sure why this even being discussed. If the purpose of this forum is gauge the value of items then preventing listings that point them out and having items slip by does not serve the purpose.

Last time that I checked, there is no where in this forum where it says that its our job to make sure items get the most that they should.  I mean please correct me if I am wrong and feel free to point me where it says that this is the goal or the purpose of the forum. :roll:

As far as the intersting items thread goes, I have never advocated that it should be shut down. I think that it should be used for what FOul's intenitions are, INTERESTING ITEMS that MAY have been missed. And anyone who has ventured upon this site other than to just post items in the "Interesting items on EBay thread" should already know that if you are placing early bids on any item, then you might as well and post them in the "Interesting items" thread yourself, because there are plenty of folks who don't bother to search Ebay's listings, they only search other user IDs.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:33 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:But I really, really don't want to have "interesting" defined for me.

X, you make a good point.  My issue is with the 2 or 3 folks here who have nothing better to do that post 10 posts in a row of items that they believe are going too cheaply and come here with "I am going to fix that" attitude.  As the dimming light bulb above mentioned that he seems to believe that this forum's purpose is to make sure that items "don't slip" through.  When thats the sole intention of the posts, then I am sorry, I don't agree with it.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:52 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Marlith wrote:Wow! That is not only mature but it helps the forum community. I see now I was worng not taking all your complaining to heart  :lol:  Took the ball home alot of times as a kid I bet.

I'd respond to that, but its not even worth it.  

Marlith wrote:If the thread gets killed I for one and I suspect others would be sorely disappointed. I think killing it because it prevents some on here from getting bargains for either collecting or worse reselling goes in the face of its determining values and rarities.  If that were the case I would simply fill the void with a thread such as "Marlith's eBay Bargain Sightings" and/or move the postings to another site.

Pretty hypocritcal if you ask me.  Didn't you just say something about taking your ball and going home as a kid, seems that you know a lot about that subject.......

Marlith wrote:There are a lot of hungry buyers at Dragonsfoot I have been told. Wonder how the posts would be received there?

Go ahead, take it there, except they don't want it.  Steve, the owner of the site, is grudgeingly allowing peoples own EBay posts in the classified forum.  So go ahead, post away over there and lets see if they don't lock it immediately.

Marlith wrote:I am not sure why this even being discussed. If the purpose of this forum is gauge the value of items then preventing listings that point them out and having items slip by does not serve the purpose.

Last time that I checked, there is no where in this forum where it says that its our job to make sure items get the most that they should.  I mean please correct me if I am wrong and feel free to point me where it says that this is the goal or the purpose of the forum. :roll:

As far as the intersting items thread goes, I have never advocated that it should be shut down. I think that it should be used for what FOul's intenitions are, INTERESTING ITEMS that MAY have been missed. And anyone who has ventured upon this site other than to just post items in the "Interesting items on EBay thread" should already know that if you are placing early bids on any item, then you might as well and post them in the "Interesting items" thread yourself, because there are plenty of folks who don't bother to search Ebay's listings, they only search other user IDs.

Not going to spend a lot of time cutting and posting quotes. So I will address the comments in order.

1) It was worth a reply and you lack of one mens I was on the mark. How is doing exactly what you are complaining about but with no attempt to give back to the community and then threatening to post everyones bid list items being anything but a spoiled jerk/crybaby.

2) Difference is between taking the ball home and moving to a court where the game is played fairly and by the accepted rules as opposed when someone does not get their way they cry to the person in charge and complain about it.

3) If they dont want them so be it. Their loss. I am sure I can get a listserve or Yahoo groups running if I cared to. Again not taking my ball. I am not being selfish in this. Your complaining about something getting posted and your not getting a bargain to resll is the selfish act.

4) We are all about getting the correct price for items determined. You yourself know this and I can't even understand how you can say what you just said. It may not be the purpose of the forum to make sure items sell for the actual value but we have a group that tracks the values and if the values are wrong because things don't get noticed what is the point. Oh yeah...I forgot you getting a bargain.

5) No but your posts precipitated the comments. As I said if he says I can't post them there I won't and if I can't use a thread in I create in the community then I won't. I would also have to reconsider if my time is worth belonging to such an community and again not taking the ball but the majority of the votes here support this and if the powers that be bow to the will of the vocal minority I am not sure it is time well spent.

Man good luck...I hope you get what you want. This is way too important to you for that not too happen. Also just so you know I am really not all that big a jerk IRL. I normally hate confrontation and arguments but I hate being told what I am doing is wrong when the only thing my stopping is serves a few other peoples ends to the detriment of a larger goup and the action is not inherently wrong.

PS...forgive my spelling. It was my not my best subject in school all those years ago. Again my kingdom for a spell checker here.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:55 pm 

bclarkie wrote:X, you make a good point.

That's two users in a row who have called me "X" ... I sort of ... like it. :)

Anyway, to a thought that's been gnawing at me: I think there's two parallel themes being discussed here, but they get all tangled up with each other. Here's what I think we're asking ourselves:

1. What is "interesting" in terms of D&D collecting? Does it mean rarity, perceived value, edition, manufacturer, or just ... "interesting"? Can a blanket definition possibly satisfy an active, outspoken, intelligent collecting community?

2. What is considered "bad form" when noting that a known Acaeum user has placed a bid already? Should we hold off if that person is the current high bidder? What about if any Acaeum user has placed any bid? Or, is all fair in love and eBay, and anything goes? And, considering that any "rule" most of us agree to here would be, at best, unwritten and totally unenforceable, is the discussion even worth it?

A final thought (I'm saying "final thought" a lot today :)): the "interesting items" concept is already broken down into four sub-threads that I can think of (TSR, non-TSR, Judges Guild, Planescape). Perhaps splitting them even further would help ease some of this current tension — for instance, items from 1-3 on The Acaeum rarity scale split up from items rated at 4 or 5. Obviously, such a step is totally Foul's call — and he is on record as stating he dislikes forums with too many categories — but it might be something to ponder.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:02 pm 

with a group of ppl, you will ALWAYS get disagreements, no matter what its about.

i can see marliths point AND BC's - you will never find a happy medium no matter what you say.

problem here, it seems to me, is what to define as "interesting" isnt it? here, you have collectors/investors/resellers on many varied scales. some have searches set up, some dont.

i have quite a few searches set up, but dont always snag things i am looking out for and often, someone will post something up here i am after, but have totally forgotten to look for, so i would consider that interesting.

now i have also been watching things for ages and then hours from the end, it will appear on here and then 6-7 ppl will stomp all over it and blow me away. this prb happens on 2 out of 3 occasions.

considering my card balance most of the time, this doesnt concern me THAT much.

i personally dont think there is any point whatsoever in splitting up the thread into varies levels, cos that would still leave the situation the same.

what i would like to see though, is the forum closed to anyone who isnt a member of the site (or is it already i dunno)....then at least members only get to see whatever is posted on here.

there was a point whether GDQ1-7 was "interesting" - to someone who has one, then nah it isnt, but there is prb a fair few here who dont have it...so to them it would be? you get the point, so i guess thats life isnt it.

this could also kinda fall on the "i watched this item for ages and then it got pulled cos the seller got offered a BIN and it got sold to the buyer off ebay" - sorta frustrating or what?

remember the pharaoh one from a while back? same thing there again....

anyway... *goes back to researching Leki walking poles*

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:07 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:2. What is considered "bad form" when noting that a known Acaeum user has placed a bid already? Should we hold off if that person is the current high bidder? What about if any Acaeum user has placed any bid? Or, is all fair in love and eBay, and anything goes? And, considering that any "rule" most of us agree to here would be, at best, unwritten and totally unenforceable, is the discussion even worth it?

A final thought (I'm saying "final thought" a lot today :)): the "interesting items" concept is already broken down into four sub-threads that I can think of (TSR, non-TSR, Judges Guild, Planescape).

cant split these up cos i suck at doing all that stuff.

1st point: i use it as a rule to myself, that if i see a person from here bidding on an item, then i dont list it - simple as that, and thats whether its a written rule or not or not even a rule. that to me, is just summit i would do for a friend.

2nd point: i tend to post a lot of JG interesting items, cos not everyone spots them as they are searches more off the beaten track and quite often, they dont get picked up that easily cos the listings are often crap. i am more familiar with JG stuff and can offer more decent info to some of the guys who are just starting to get into collecting JG books. its ended up some snagging pretty decent deals really and helped others out too.

ah well such is life eh.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:21 pm 

Marlith wrote:
1) It was worth a reply and you lack of one mens I was on the mark. How is doing exactly what you are complaining about but with no attempt to give back to the community and then threatening to post everyones bid list items being anything but a spoiled jerk/crybaby.

First of all, once again you are getting personal. If you really want to get personal I will happily oblige you, but I would really prefer not ot. My lack of response was the sole purpose behind that, period. My point once again, was the attitude and the reasoning behind the postings.  I can't tell you how many times there was an item I found that I knew someone was looking for, that I actually PMed the person to let them know about it.  Have you ever done that???

The point is, it doesn't really seem that you care about the community at all.  It seems that you are only interested in ensuring items get to what you perceive as the proper value.  I guess you want to make sure the stuff that you already own stays "high" right?

Marlith wrote:
2) Difference is between taking the ball home and moving to a court where the game is played fairly and by the accepted rules as opposed when someone does not get their way they cry to the person in charge and complain about it.

3) If they dont want them so be it. Their loss. I am sure I can get a listserve or Yahoo groups running if I cared to. Again not taking my ball. I am not being selfish in this. Your complaining about something getting posted and your not getting a bargain to resll is the selfish act.

5) No but your posts precipitated the comments. As I said if he says I can't post them there I won't and if I can't use a thread in I create in the community then I won't. I would also have to reconsider if my time is worth belonging to such an community and again not taking the ball but the majority of the votes here support this and if the powers that be bow to the will of the vocal minority I am not sure it is time well spent.

Dude, you can spin that sh*t however you want to, but in the end it is simply taking your ball and going home.  If thinking that way makes you sleep better at night, well more power to you my friend.  It is also quite apparent now that you seem to have a problem with resellers, even though I am not really a true reseller.  I actually keep a lot of the stuff that I buy and only sell from time to time to A) Clear some space and B) recoup some of my money that I have spent.  

Marlith wrote: 4) We are all about getting the correct price for items determined. You yourself know this and I can't even understand how you can say what you just said. It may not be the purpose of the forum to make sure items sell for the actual value but we have a group that tracks the values and if the values are wrong because things don't get noticed what is the point. Oh yeah...I forgot you getting a bargain.

Once again, we are NOT about getting the correct price.  Trying to make sure that an item goes for the absolute maximum it should go for would be considered altering the market.  It is not our job to alter the market at all.  Its our job is to simply track how the market trends, period. You must have missed that part.  

And since it seems that I need to explain my earlier post about what I was going to do, since it obviously didn't register, I was being sarcastic.  I really would never intentionally screw anyone/everyone over like that, but since I am just an evil selfish reseller in your eyes , I guess I needed to relay what my "true" intentions are.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:31 pm 

The only thing I would like Marlith is perhaps just edit your posts to include items you find, instead of having many posts in a row.

I don't do much of the interesting items posting, though I look through all the lists and comment if possible. So I don't care what people do, just don't cross post it throughout the boards.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:33 pm 

oh by the way - i forgot to mention - i selected "pretty much anything" but for the reasons i mentioned. i do see both arguments and i appreciated the points and concerns of both.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:40 pm 

just on that point about "correct value for an item"

er sorry, whether i collect it or resell it, i will ALWAYS want it for the best price i can get it. anyone who WANTS to give top dollar for it is insane, if they can get it cheaper.

but hey thats just me. to each their own. i have had ppl buy things from me at a far lesser value and incredibly, they have rounded a figure up some, which i feel very humbled about, but to that, in return i will ALWAYS go out of my way to do them a good turn in reply. that is my way.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:53 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:just on that point about "correct value for an item"

er sorry, whether i collect it or resell it, i will ALWAYS want it for the best price i can get it. anyone who WANTS to give top dollar for it is insane, if they can get it cheaper.

but hey thats just me. to each their own. i have had ppl buy things from me at a far lesser value and incredibly, they have rounded a figure up some, which i feel very humbled about, but to that, in return i will ALWAYS go out of my way to do them a good turn in reply. that is my way.

Al

I agree with the 1st part (though I've gone insane..David could point out some auctions of mine :wink: )
I wouldn't call it far lesser value for things I bought, rather a fair value and impeckable service. 8)

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:58 pm 

A bit OT(what else is new  :roll: ), but did anyone else get the vision of a nice juicy steak when reading Mr Bus' second option in the poll. :D

PreviousNext