Interesting Items Thread
Poll: What would people prefer was posted in the 'Interesting Items' thread?

Pretty much anything (and everything) you like 80%       80%  [ 32 ]
Only the most carefully selected choicest items 10%       10%  [ 4 ]
Nothing - step away from my auction, scoundrel! 10%       10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 40

Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:54 pm 

Hi.

In view of comments recently in the 'Interesting Items Currently on eBay' thread, herewith a poll and a new thread for people to discuss (should they so wish).  :wink:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:00 pm 

Hey! That was my idea! Idea-stealer! :)

Xaxaxe, now quoting himself wrote:... maybe the debate could be taken to a new thread or a poll or something...

This is proably a good place to move the discussion — the "interesting items" threads tend to fill up quickly without any help from semi-OT discussion.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:05 pm 

red_bus wrote:Hi.

In view of comments recently in the 'Interesting Items Currently on eBay' thread, herewith a poll and a new thread for people to discuss (should they so wish).  :wink:

I rely on the interesting items thread for items to mark on my "Items to Watch" page on My Ebay.  I don't have time to do individual searches for items that may or may not be stuff I'm interested in tracking, so this thread helps me out a lot on price watching.  Then again, in other's defense, I very rarely buy items from ebay, I get 90% of my stuff for myself or to resell from other sources, so I can see someone would be unhappy if a good deal were torpedoed. But then again, that's just the nature of the beast with Ebay, isn't it?  Nothing there is guaranteed to end at the price listed except for "Buy It Now" items.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:08 pm 

I think everyone knows how I voted.  :wink:

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:09 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Hey! That was my idea! Idea-stealer! :)

Sorry.  It is because your face is on your avatar, it makes it easier to read your mind.  [Oh, it's not you...?]

Let's go fly a kite

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:13 pm 

red_bus wrote:[Oh, it's not you...?][/i]

Ah, but what if I do look like Ian McShane? I'll bet I wouldn't get any more backtalk from you Acaeum punks, now, would I? :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:17 pm 

Well since it seems that there is a huge support for anything that you want, expect a lot of B2s in the future because that is what I want to post.  

Well, that and everything from everyone's bidding list that is.........

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Xaxaxe wrote:
red_bus wrote:[Oh, it's not you...?][/i]

Ah, but what if I do look like Ian McShane? I'll bet I wouldn't get any more backtalk from you Acaeum punks, now, would I? :)

What are you putting up for the bet? :wink:

ShaneG.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

That would be scary! 8O

...although not perhaps unusual, interesting facial hair is much more common in the D&D world than elsewhere  :)

Let's go fly a kite

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:18 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Hey! That was my idea! Idea-stealer! :)

Xaxaxe, now quoting himself wrote:... maybe the debate could be taken to a new thread or a poll or something...

This is proably a good place to move the discussion — the "interesting items" threads tend to fill up quickly without any help from semi-OT discussion.

Hey! I resemble that remark.  :wink:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:26 pm 

An alternative not mentioned heretofore is limiting it to collectibles over a certain dollar amount (the greater of Acaeum values or current bid).

And btw, I'm sure Dragonsfoot wouldn't mind having a 'Currently 4sale on eBay' board if Foul kills this one.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:31 pm 

Here is Foul's take on the "Interesting Items" thread that I wanted to bring up.  It was a little back and forth several months ago between him and David when he redid the thread previously.  This can be located here

Foulfoot wrote:Use this sticky thread to post interesting auction items that may have escaped the notice of other collectors.

harami2000 wrote:
Foulfoot wrote:Use this sticky thread to post interesting auction items that may have escaped the notice of other collectors.

(Was guessing you'd split at 100 pages, Scott ;)

thx. makes it easier(!) to search, too).

D'you mean those which have genuinely escaped notice, or those which are 10 minutes into a seven day auction?  :)
[/quote]

Foulfoot wrote:My attempts to regulate this thread were futile.    Interesting, not-very-interesting, downright common... whatever.  Heh.

harami2000 wrote:
Foulfoot wrote:My attempts to regulate this thread were futile.    Interesting, not-very-interesting, downright common... whatever.  Heh.

:lol:

Is like herding cats...

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:32 pm 

Can two sticky eBay threads exist (one for "rare" items, one for everything else), or is that complicating the issue?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:34 pm 

On posting lot of stuff...

One pro: if I see something that is a bit of a bargain and I am not going to bid, by posting here I am helping out others in the collecting community.

One con: and I am not helping those who have spotted it already and are hoping it does not get any attention.

Another pro: by posting more stuff everyone here gets to see what items are out there and what they go for - it gives us market information.

Another con: and all the lurkers get that information too.

Let's go fly a kite

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:35 pm 

red_bus wrote:One pro: if I see something that is a bit of a bargain and I am not going to bid, by posting here I am helping out others in the collecting community.

One con: and I am not helping those who have spotted it already and are hoping it does not get any attention.

Another pro: by posting more stuff everyone here gets to see what items are out there and what they go for - it gives us market information.

Another con: and all the lurkers get that information too.

Very well said. :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:55 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well since it seems that there is a huge support for anything that you want, expect a lot of B2s in the future because that is what I want to post.  

Well if that is the way it is going to be then I am going back to sniping for everything.  I thought the interesting items thread was supposed to be used to point out "interesting items" for the community.  B2, while being a great adventure, is hardly interesting (I know you are being sarcastic BC).  Metamorphosis Alpha, 4th print white box, Orange B3, Dave Arneson's personal copy of Sex, Lies, and Videotape....these items are interesting and belong in the thread.  Does that mean GDQ1-7 isnt interesting? Hell no, but most people on here probably have one already and arent looking for one...unless its shrinkwrapped or they are resellers.

I try to only post items on these threads that I think 1) no one else has seen yet, 2) everyone here would think is "interesting".  I try not to post any item that another forum member has bid on but since I dont know everyone's ebay handle it is bound to happen once in a while.  If I post an item that someone was watching but hadnt bid on yet and that pisses them off....too frickin' bad.  I am not telepathic and I dont think anyone else here is either.

If I didnt give a shit about this community and the people here I wouldnt bother posting anything.  It makes me feel like I did my "good deed" for the day when someone like bbarsh wins a woodgrain Tractics because I mentioned it in passing.  If Frank Mentzer sees my post about a first print Triplanetary in the non-tsr items thread and says to himself "Kickass I have been looking for one of those" then hopefully the short time I spend on this site has been worthwhile.

Now I am going to go watch the Texas Rangers get the crap kicked out of them by the Oakland A's and drink a lot of expensive watered-down beer.  You guys try to get along and dont make me post some half-drunk drivel around 2 AM about how much I love you guys!  :P

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:00 pm 

When I point my browser here, the top of the page says "The Acaeum." It does not say "Xaxaxe's Acaeum," or "Clarkie's Acaeum," or "DL39's Emporium of Biting Sarcasm," or anything else.

We can't be worried about placating one or two users here. There's 771 of us, as of this writing, and that means 771 potentially interested parties* who might be able to fill a hole in their collection thanks to a sharp-eyed fellow Acaeum user. For a given "interesting items" post, there is bound to be some overlap between the potentially interested parties and any Acaeum users who have spotted the item and kept it to themselves. (My advice for the second group: get over yourselves; keying in some search strings does not make you special).

Post it all, I say (and voted, too). Perhaps, as mentioned from time to time, the "interesting items" threads could be split into two or more sticky threads ... maybe along the lines of rarity, or edition, or listed value. Until that happens, though, these threads are going to have a little bit of everything, since there's no way to get more than 700 people to agree on what "interesting" means.

Post it all — and never apologize.

+++++

*To say nothing of all the lurkers out there. *Waving* Hello, lurkers!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:01 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well since it seems that there is a huge support for anything that you want, expect a lot of B2s in the future because that is what I want to post.  

Wow! That is not only mature but it helps the forum community. I see now I was worng not taking all your complaining to heart  :lol:  Took the ball home alot of times as a kid I bet.

Oh and in the vein of community spirit let me save you the search here is my bid list:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... 200&sort=3

Next