Anyone else getting phony eBay e-mails?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:53 pm 

Has anyone else gotten phony ebay e-mails asking for your billing information?

The sender is "[email protected]" and the body of the e-mail is:

"Dear valued eBay member,

It has come to our attention that your eBay Billing Information

records are out of date. That requires you to update the Billing Information

If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update

your billing records, you will not run into any future problems with eBay's online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account termination.

Please update your records in maximum 24 hours.

Once you have updated your account records, your eBay session will not be

interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will result in

cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or future billing

problems.

Please click here to update your billing records.

Thank you for your time!

Marry Kimmel,

eBay Billing Department team.

"

If you view the source, it send you to a mock ebay site on Yahoo. The same thing was done about 3 months or so ago and I saw it on the news. I just thought I would pass the info along to the gang here.

-PD

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:06 pm 

Phoney eBay AND Paypal emails.  I'll give the Paypal one credit though...  it had an embedded html for you to put your credit card info and everything.  But I mean, its 2003...  haven't enough people been online long enough for this to work on practically nobody?  I'd LIKE to think that...

At least I never got the Nigeria bank account one.  Wow, you REALLY had to have an imagination to believe that one.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:33 am 

I got the phoney PayPal one.

As for the Nigerian ones - I get about 1 a week - all slightly different.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:01 am 

I also have $33,000,500.00us dollars that is left over from a government grant that was left to me by a friends sick Grandmothers dog.. please reply to this hotmail address so I can then rip you off.... by the way i have only sent this once only offer to you and not mass mailed it to 300 million email addresses....

yeh I get em all the time as well, even on email address not log with em, if I want to do ebay or paypal stuff I'll log onto their sites, I've also heard of this with bank sites as well, they get a web address similar to a real bank then copy the origional page down pat trying to get people to enter all their details in etc

Brette:)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:24 am 

Guys, I've been a network engineer for 11 years, and I can honestly tell you people are just as stupid now as they were when I started in the field. Evidence: The recent SoBig virus outbreak. You actually have to open an attachment to infect your machine, and even though everyone should know better, it managed to be one of the biggest outbreaks in history.W.C. Fields had it wrong, there are at least 3 born every minute.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:46 am 

Cernunnos wrote:haven't enough people been online long enough for this to work on practically nobody?

Haha. 30% of people online know what they are doing. The rest subscribe to AOL.

:-)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:18 am 

It can amaze people who are experienced with the web just how gullible some people can be when it comes to internet scams (actually, it was P.T. Barnum who said "there is a sucker born every minute"). With the case of the Nigerian scams, they play upon greed taking over common sense. The people knew better than to fall for it, but they did anyway because they were greedy.

The virus's spread is mainly attributed to people receiving an attachment from a friend/co-worker by using a flaw in the accessing of address books that MS has never taken seriously . I know my wife receives attachments now and then from her sister and I always delete them before my wife can open them; and I have told her sister to stop sending them because she does mass sendings to her friends and I do not want her to mess up my comp with her junk. That is the reason why these viruses are so successful, because they are usually e-mails from someone you know and you open them without thinking.

As far as enough people being online long enough: No, new people jump online for the first time every day...many of them are elderly and do not know what to expect. My in-laws are getting their first computer within the next few months and I am going to have to sit them down and explain to them every scam in the book and then still hope that they do not fall for something. Whoever sent the fraudulant ebay e-mail will fail more often than not simply because of the nature of the letter (maximum of 24 hours...not very professional looking, and it has grammatical mistakes in both the letter and the website it sends you to).

-PD

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:27 pm 

The excuse is always "I know the person, so I figured it was safe". STD's are the same.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:03 am 

Actually, it was supposedly Barnum's competitor who said it :

HistoryBuff.com -- P. T. Barnum Never Did Say "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute"

Nev

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:12 pm 

Oh, well done, Nev. I knew the story of the Cardiff Giant and the whole issue between Hull and Barnum but did not know the statement was actually by Hull. Well, you learn something new every day.

-PD