List of changes made to the Holmes Basic Rulebook (1st/3rd)
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:39 am 

I've finished compiling a list of all of the changes made to Holmes Basic Rulebook (a comparison of the first and last known printings):

List of changes made to the Holmes Rulebook

To make changes easier, I'm just posting it in one place - the Dragonsfoot Classic Forums. Feel free to discuss it here or there. Any corrections, comments, feedback are most welcome.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:21 pm 

Whoa!  Impressive effort!  Would you mind if I made a page with those differences, for the next update?

Foul

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:06 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Whoa!  Impressive effort!  Would you mind if I made a page with those differences, for the next update?

Thank you! You certainly can use it for the Acaeum. I created it with the idea of submitting it here & was actually just looking at the submissions page for the email address a few minutes ago. I posted it over at the Dragonsfoot forums because they generally discuss more of the minutiae of rules changes with respect to gameplay.

I have the list in a Word document with more formating (bolding, italics, underline) that makes it easier to read, but couldn't figure out an easy way to convert it to the BBcode, so I just added a few tags on some of the headers. I can send you the Word Document, or you can just cut and paste it from the post, etc.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:39 am 

The Word formatting will be a mess when converting to FrontPage, so I'll just use the post.  Thanks!

Foul

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:53 am 

That's some quality research right there. Well done. Image

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:25 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:That's some quality research right there. Well done. [ Image ]

Thanks, X!

By the way, I added some scans to the thread on the Dragonsfoot page. There are pics of the three deleted artworks, the deleted Nixie entry, the lost paragraph from the Giant entry, and the original Wandering Monster Tables.

-Z

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:32 am 

*bump*

I made a lot of revisions to this list (see the first post in this thread), including formatting (bold/underlining) to improve reading, and adding new content. I rewrote the introduction to list all six prints of the Holmes Basic rulebook (because the Acaeum entry only covers prints of the boxed set). There's now a comparison of the detachable REFERENCE TABLES. Thanks to jasonw1239 for providing a copy of the 1st print tables. There's a new Appendix D which lists all of the specific references to AD&D in the rules. (If you missed them before, Appendices A-C list all of the references to Monsters, Weapons, and Higher Experience Levels that are not described elsewhere in the rules). There are some miscellaneous new entries & comments that I've added throughout.

Foulfoot, feel free to grab a revised copy for the Acaeum.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:41 am 

wow! your work is simply great!!!

btw, since we're IT, i have already posted somewhere in the forum the following question: if i need to appraise a basic rulebook (stand alone, not a boxed set), what is its value? is it somehow linked to the valuation of the boxed set?

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:50 pm 

You are quite welcome zhowar, I was glad to be able to contribute a little bit to the project. :D

Jasonw1239

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:57 am 

aia wrote:wow! your work is simply great!!!

btw, since we're IT, i have already posted somewhere in the forum the following question: if i need to appraise a basic rulebook (stand alone, not a boxed set), what is its value? is it somehow linked to the valuation of the boxed set?

Thanks, aia!

As to the value of the rulebook alone, it's whatever the Ebay market can support at any one time. The early Lizard Logo ones seem to sell pretty well without a box set (maybe $10-$30??). The later Wizard Logo prints are extremely common and should be worth less than $10 (Guido had one recently in "excellent" condition that didn't sell for $5.99).

I bought my only F116R rulebook (1st print) alone a few years back, but it was part of a $100 BIN lot with a 1st print Metamorphosis Alpha, 1st print S3, and 2nd print Top Secret Box Set (shipping included, IIRC). Probably  overpriced, but it was nice to get it all at once.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:03 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:You are quite welcome zhowar, I was glad to be able to contribute a little bit to the project. :D

It was appreciated. I actually meant to add your name to the list itself, in an acknowledgements section. I will do so in a future revision.

Here's what I discerned from the reference tables: (1st print / 3rd edition)
REFERENCE TABLES
Front (pg 47/47): Only changes from 1st -> 3rd are Halflings -> Hobbits in the Saving Throw table, and a Registered Trademark symbol after the "DUNGEONS & DRAGONS" logo.
Back (pg 48/48): WANDERING MONSTER TABLE matches respective edition (see above pg 10); in 3rd, CLERIC VS UNDEAD TABLE has revised notation for "Number =" (see above pg 12) and also adds "(use 2d6)" below title; each HIT TABLE adds "(use 1d20)" below title