Alleged 1st print OD&D
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:33 pm 

4 Booklets D & D Rules 1974 Gygax & Arneson TSR RARE

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS Rules for Fantastic Medieval Wargames Campaigns Playable with Paper and Pencil and Miniature Figures - 4 Booklets: Men & Magic Volume 1, Monsters & Treasures Volume 2, The Underworld & Wilderness Adventures Volume 3 and Swords & Spells. By Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson. All 1st Printing except Spells which is 5th Printing. Published by TSR - Tactical Studies Rules, copyright 1974 - 1976. They are all in from Very Fine+ to Near Mint condition except Spells which is in Fine+ condition. They come from the smoke-free environment of my personal collection.

Bold print added for emphasis.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:35 pm 

Llaurenela wrote:4 Booklets D & D Rules 1974 Gygax & Arneson TSR RARE

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS Rules for Fantastic Medieval Wargames Campaigns Playable with Paper and Pencil and Miniature Figures - 4 Booklets: Men & Magic Volume 1, Monsters & Treasures Volume 2, The Underworld & Wilderness Adventures Volume 3 and Swords & Spells. By Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson. All 1st Printing except Spells which is 5th Printing. Published by TSR - Tactical Studies Rules, copyright 1974 - 1976. They are all in from Very Fine+ to Near Mint condition except Spells which is in Fine+ condition. They come from the smoke-free environment of my personal collection.

Bold print added for emphasis.

Time to educate the seller. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:47 pm 

And such a nice bright yellow color, too. Must be 0th printing.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:16 am 

My E-mail to the dork:

These are not first prints!  Please educate yourself!  Somebody actually purchasing these items from you could charge you (and should) for fraud.  These are common 6th prints worth about $30-$40.

Jeff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:42 am 

I am not surprised at all.  I have dealt with the idiots at Titan Comics before.  The owner is a complete jerk and jacks his comic prices up about 300% of actual value.  The sad thing is they have tons of great back issues.  After getting screwed over more than once I have never been back.  :evil:

The last time I was at one of the Dallas comicons I went by their booth.  They were selling a very hot comic for $100.  I told the guy running their booth that I was interested in it but that $100 was pretty steep.  He told me that I didnt know what I was talking about and that I wouldnt find it for any cheaper.  I left the booth and then came back about 30 minutes later carrying the exact same comic book that I had mentioned earlier and told him that I paid $30 for it.  He just walked off mumbling... :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:30 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I am not surprised at all.  I have dealt with the idiots at Titan Comics before.  The owner is a complete jerk and jacks his comic prices up about 300% of actual value.  The sad thing is they have tons of great back issues.  After getting screwed over more than once I have never been back.  :evil:

The last time I was at one of the Dallas comicons I went by their booth.  They were selling a very hot comic for $100.  I told the guy running their booth that I was interested in it but that $100 was pretty steep.  He told me that I didnt know what I was talking about and that I wouldnt find it for any cheaper.  I left the booth and then came back about 30 minutes later carrying the exact same comic book that I had mentioned earlier and told him that I paid $30 for it.  He just walked off mumbling... :twisted:

King is right. They are tools.  They are the type of Comic book shop that pulls hot comics off the shelf and adds $5 to the price while the comic is still available elsewhere for cover price....but since you don't want to drive to another shop you pay the extra $5 (well, I wouldn't but I guess that's the strategy). They absolutely have no customer service unless tht includes screwing over said customer whenever possible.
         I'm sure the owner is clueless about what he has and has done no research. A few years ago they were selling most of their backstock older D&D and RPG stuff just to get rid of it and I got like five copies of WGR6 City of Skulls SW for about $5 each.  Meanwhile, he had $150 on his one copy of Deities & Demigods with Cthulhu (behind the counter, of course), which looked like a tractor had ran it over a couple of times. Morons.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:37 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:My E-mail to the dork:

These are not first prints!  Please educate yourself!  Somebody actually purchasing these items from you could charge you (and should) for fraud.  These are common 6th prints worth about $30-$40.

The auction has been updated (probably in response to your email)...they are now each 6th prints except the S&S. However, the BIN is $90.  :roll:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:39 pm 

Here is his responce:

I try hard to get the provenances on my games right. I will admit to not trying very hard on this one. I will change the price on this lot in a few minutes. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, sir. Jeremy - Titan Comics

Very polite man actually

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:47 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Here is his responce:

I try hard to get the provenances on my games right. I will admit to not trying very hard on this one. I will change the price on this lot in a few minutes. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, sir. Jeremy - Titan Comics

Very polite man actually

A lot of people assume that if a book doesn't state a printing, it must be the first.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:00 pm 

Since Marcus and Tonya both post here, I assume Jeremy is the new guy they hired. Off to a bad start, it seems.
Generally speaking, while Titan does have some nice items, I avoid purchases there due to the exorbitant handleme charges.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:15 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Since Marcus and Tonya both post here, I assume Jeremy is the new guy they hired. Off to a bad start, it seems.
Generally speaking, while Titan does have some nice items, I avoid purchases there due to the exorbitant handleme charges.

Titan Comics and Titan Games are two separate entities.  Titan Comics is located in Dallas and Jeremy is the owner.  He doesnt sell games of any kind....just comics and comic related collectibles (unless he branched out in the last few years that is).

Very polite man actually

Dont let his silver tongue (or pen) fool you.  He is a businessman and knows how to play the game.  He will make you think he is bending over backwards for you but in reality he is just trying to get a better angle to stab you in the back.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:02 pm 

He wants the +4 to hit.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:42 pm 

I see that he still has these listed as a Buy It Now for $90.00.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:47 pm 

On the other hand here is another seller AD&D DUNGEONS & DRAGONS WHITE BOX EDITION 1974 and he is also listing these as 1st prints when they are obvious 6th prints. If I had the time and money to sue someone for fraud I would buy them just so I could. :wink: