Warriors of Mars
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:19 pm 

As much as I want one, I couldn't quite do the $500+ -I decided to go for the Mayfair mods instead.  I need to sell some stuff and get some money now.  It feels like I have been way overspending the last few months.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:25 pm 

Thanks for the congrats, that's one more to cross off the list.   :D
Hopefully the condition is very fine...
and it will be interesting to see what the next one will go for.  

As for potentially overpaying... what's $100 or $200 in the cosmic scheme of things anyway?   :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:25 am 

$100 or $200 is nothing in the whole scheme of life.  Nice one, William.

If you have the cash, why not?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:58 am 

In my high school poker group, there was a guy named Billy Earl who would up the ante $5 and we would all gasp (this was 1987 and we were all relatively cash-challenged).  We'd say, "Billy, how can you bet that much?," and he'd just reply, "In the cosmic scheme of things, what's $5 anyway?"  
That's become a part of my philosophy since then, if you want to have some fun you're gonna have to spend some extra cash from time to time.  In the end it will just make me work harder to earn more.   :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:53 pm 

In the poker scheme of things, how much competition did he clear out by upping $5? I can't count how many times I've cleaned out the old codgers at the Foxwoods poker tables by betting aggresively. They've been pretty much funding my collection for years.
If you were buying it to resell it, now or later, the extra money would have been foolish. But when buying to own, as long as the extra money spent doesn't have you eating Cheerios for dinner, who cares? If you die of a brain embolism tomorrow, you'll go knowing you owned a WoM, and the $200 extra won't be sitting in a bank account waiting to be dispersed to your heirs.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:50 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:$100 or $200 is nothing in the whole scheme of life.  Nice one, William.

Mark   8)

Thats what I say.  When I won that woody a few weeks ago there was an uproar of critisism of Dragonsfoot about it.  Think about what people buy with there money they save up:  Boats, bikes, quads, fishing trips!  I play games for entertainment and collect for fun!  It is no different than the goofus who spends $3000.00 on a new set of "pipes" for his car or $20,000 for a new boat that they use twice per year! I had that money sitting around for months waiting for a purchase like this, it happened and there was great rejoicing :)

Good buy William and good luck finding the other stuff to fill your wantlist!

PS another thing about buying collectables vs. the usual entertainment objects is that collectables normally increase in value while TVs, boats, cars etc almost always depreciate. Normally faster than the outstanding balance of any loans taken out to finance such objects.

Later

Jeff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:04 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well, my WoM arrvied today [snip]  Now on to my question for those of you who know.   If I am remmberin correctly, wasn't  the price of the D&D prints supposed to be blacked on almost all copies and and an adjustment from $2.50 to $5.00 hand written in them?   Being that as it may, my copy has no handwritten adjustment in it at all.  Is this as good a thing as I think that it may be or am I remembering wrong?

Nor did mine:  viewtopic.php?t=3283 and http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/te ... atalog.jpg

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:43 pm 

As silly as it may seem, I've really wanted a WoM since I saw IO had one on his trophy shelf.  

And, yes, Billy Earl used to clear out quite a few of the mundanes at the table with aggressive bidding.   :D

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:47 pm 

grodog wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Well, my WoM arrvied today [snip]  Now on to my question for those of you who know.   If I am remmberin correctly, wasn't  the price of the D&D prints supposed to be blacked on almost all copies and and an adjustment from $2.50 to $5.00 hand written in them?   Being that as it may, my copy has no handwritten adjustment in it at all.  Is this as good a thing as I think that it may be or am I remembering wrong?

Nor did mine:  viewtopic.php?t=3283 and http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/te ... atalog.jpg

Well, it was the multi-sided dice set price that I was most interested in... No handwritten amendment to that on your copy, thanks. :)
I still have that alt. penciled in at 4-5/75 judging by the 1st GH & lack of alterations on SR #1s (akk... just realised I think I forgot to ask for a scan of that area on the last 5/75 mailed copy spotted on eBay and cannot find my own mailed copy, at present. Anyone help on this??).

Don't recall any mention of the D&D prints being price-adjusted, since those are still presumed to be unreleased, afaik.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:19 pm 

faro wrote:...lack of alterations on SR #1s (akk... just realised I think I forgot to ask for a scan of that area on the last 5/75 mailed copy spotted on eBay and cannot find my own mailed copy, at present.

Heh. Brain like a sieve: I deliberately asked for a full page scan, then filed-and-forgot why. (Courtesy of eBay user <djtrindle>).

Actually pmked 6/2/75, not "5/75";

Just in case a dice-price-altered SR #1 should ever turn up...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:31 am 

Blackmoor wrote:
MShipley88 wrote:$100 or $200 is nothing in the whole scheme of life.  Nice one, William.

Mark   8)

Thats what I say.  When I won that woody a few weeks ago there was an uproar of critisism of Dragonsfoot about it.  Think about what people buy with there money they save up:  Boats, bikes, quads, fishing trips!  I play games for entertainment and collect for fun!  It is no different than the goofus who spends $3000.00 on a new set of "pipes" for his car or $20,000 for a new boat that they use twice per year! I had that money sitting around for months waiting for a purchase like this, it happened and there was great rejoicing :)

Good buy William and good luck finding the other stuff to fill your wantlist!

PS another thing about buying collectables vs. the usual entertainment objects is that collectables normally increase in value while TVs, boats, cars etc almost always depreciate. Normally faster than the outstanding balance of any loans taken out to finance such objects.

Later

Jeff

People tend to draw the line at their own hobby.  Everyone else's hobby is stupid and a waste of money.  Mine is cool.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:53 pm 

I got my WoM and it is in very nice condition with just some minor cover wear and absolutely no writing inside, which is one of my main pet peeves.  
One great thing about the item, besides being written by Gygax, is the many illustrations inside of Carter, Barsoom monsters and a topless Issus.   :D
Well worth the money as it takes its place on the trophy shelf.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:46 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:One great thing about the item, besides being written by Gygax, is the many illustrations inside of Carter, Barsoom monsters and a topless Issus.   :D

IF you happen to like Greg Bell's art (and I don't).

I'll take my Dejah Thoris like this, like this, and like this.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:08 pm 

Traveller wrote:
VermilionFire wrote:One great thing about the item, besides being written by Gygax, is the many illustrations inside of Carter, Barsoom monsters and a topless Issus.   :D

IF you happen to like Greg Bell's art (and I don't).

I'll take my Dejah Thoris like this, like this, and like this.

Very nice!  Yes Indeed!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:50 pm 

A whole host of Dejah for your pleasure.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:53 pm 

Ahem, yes, very nice indeed...  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:30 pm 

I'm surprised that you like them, given your penchant for liking naked pictures of thousand year old women like Issus. :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:04 am 

Traveller wrote:I'm surprised that you like them, given your penchant for liking naked pictures of thousand year old women like Issus. :)

Age has nothing to do with it... I'm very equal opportunity when it comes to beautiful, voluptuous and sultry women.   8)

PreviousNext