Warriors of Mars
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:30 pm 

Mike, $100 for a fazzle doesn't put you in the minority, it puts you in the miNOBODY. You'd be an idiot not to pay $500 for a decent copy, if only to resell it.
But I think I understand your meaning. If you were forced to keep the copy you bought, you'd pay no more than $100.
There is no question that when you hold a rare item, such as a tourney mod or ST1, that you definitely get a rush. I sometimes wonder whether that is the reason some people pay insanely high prices for stuff.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:22 am 

Yes!  That's what I mean!

Good to ME because it was pulled from the shelves after a legal squabble.

Good to others just because they get a rush from holding it.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:31 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Mike, $100 for a fazzle doesn't put you in the minority, it puts you in the miNOBODY. You'd be an idiot not to pay $500 for a decent copy, if only to resell it.
But I think I understand your meaning. If you were forced to keep the copy you bought, you'd pay no more than $100.
There is no question that when you hold a rare item, such as a tourney mod or ST1, that you definitely get a rush. I sometimes wonder whether that is the reason some people pay insanely high prices for stuff.

I agree, the feeling that you own a very important collectable is hard to describe 8O

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:52 am 

Blackmoor wrote:I agree, the feeling that you own a very important collectable is hard to describe 8O

i'll tell you in about a week or so. you will prb all sigh and say something like "oh see he understands now" :D

WoM is one of them items that i couldnt justify getting for myself cos i know nothing at all about it and just cannot relate to it. so i guess in a way, i am not a proper collector from that perspective, as i wont collect every collectible. i just like to get the things i like.

to each their own tho. i know how much of a collector BC is and he will be buzzing when his copy arrives. nice one!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:53 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Mike, $100 for a fazzle doesn't put you in the minority, it puts you in the miNOBODY. You'd be an idiot not to pay $500 for a decent copy, if only to resell it.

frank, did you get that PM i sent you dude?

still awaiting a reply so i can mail it to you.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:48 pm 

Hmm, I just got the e-mail notification that I might want to rethink my $222.51 snipe.  Guess I'm not getting this one.
:lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:35 pm 

Well, my WoM arrvied today and man is it perfect. Outside of some very slight edgewear on the spine it looks virtually untouched.  If it wasn't for the previous owners name and adress stamped inside the front cover I would have been wondering if it had ever been opened before myself.  Now on the interesting part. Now on to my question for those of you who know.   If I am remmberin correctly, wasn't  the price of the D&D prints supposed to be blacked on almost all copies and and an adjustment from $2.50 to $5.00 hand written in them?   Being that as it may, my copy has no handwritten adjustment in it at all.  Is this as good a thing as I think that it may be or am I remembering wrong?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:41 pm 

I seem to recall something about the original price and anthrax contamination...what was that...something about pages...infused...terrorists...  Oh, well, can't remember anymore.  :lol:

Mark    8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:46 pm 

You may have misremembered.  My copy doesn't have the old price marked out and a new price penned in.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:59 pm 

Traveller wrote:You may have misremembered.  My copy doesn't have the old price marked out and a new price penned in.

It seems I was a bit off, in that it was the price of the dice that is apparently altered as David alluded to on DF a few days back.  

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 1&start=39

Unless of course he was refering to something totally different and I am just missing it.  :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:25 am 

I must have one of the earlier copies, as the price for dice hasn't been altered in my copy from its $1.75 price point.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:54 pm 

Well less than 1 hour to go.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

It will interesting to see if this one ends up like it stands right now. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:38 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well less than 1 hour to go.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

It will interesting to see if this one ends up like it stands right now. :)

Well, it didnt budge. Congrats William. :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:51 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well, it didnt budge. Congrats William. :)

Can't say I'm surprised, but congrats nonetheless! ;)

(Now, if ya have any more money to burn... ^^)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:19 pm 

As much as I want one, I couldn't quite do the $500+ -I decided to go for the Mayfair mods instead.  I need to sell some stuff and get some money now.  It feels like I have been way overspending the last few months.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:25 pm 

Thanks for the congrats, that's one more to cross off the list.   :D
Hopefully the condition is very fine...
and it will be interesting to see what the next one will go for.  

As for potentially overpaying... what's $100 or $200 in the cosmic scheme of things anyway?   :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:25 am 

$100 or $200 is nothing in the whole scheme of life.  Nice one, William.

If you have the cash, why not?

Mark   8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:58 am 

In my high school poker group, there was a guy named Billy Earl who would up the ante $5 and we would all gasp (this was 1987 and we were all relatively cash-challenged).  We'd say, "Billy, how can you bet that much?," and he'd just reply, "In the cosmic scheme of things, what's $5 anyway?"  
That's become a part of my philosophy since then, if you want to have some fun you're gonna have to spend some extra cash from time to time.  In the end it will just make me work harder to earn more.   :wink:

PreviousNext