Any Dungeon Magazine recommendations?
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:16 am 

While my Dragon collection is pretty strong, I have a pretty thin Dungeon collection. And by "thin," I mean "virtually non-existent."

I'd like to have some fun with Dungeon and maybe collect the "best" adventures first. Does anyone have any thoughts and/or favorite adventures they remember (and an issue number would be helpful, if possible)?

I'm also going to use the "30 Greatest" article from Dungeon #116 as a starting point. It listed 10 of the top Dungeon adventures.

Thanks in advance.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:40 am 

Xaxaxe, I don't have Dungeon 116 at hand; if you post their suggestions, I'm sure we can be sure to provide other good ones :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:47 am 

Here's a cross-sample of what was mentioned.

The top vote-getter was "The Mud Sorcerer's Tomb" from #37.

Runner-up was "The Harrowing" in #84; I'll probably seek out this one, as it is by Monte Cook, whose writing I enjoy.

The top 1e adventure was "Into the Fire" from #1 (which, obviously, is an issue that will probably cost me some coin).

The most recent adventure mentioned was "The Lich-Queen's Beloved" from #100.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:41 am 

Dungeon 112 and 124 are a modern day must. They contain Maure Castle written by RJK in 1E AD&D and converted to 3.5E by Erik Mona and staff.

They took the original WG5 and rewrote it for 3.5E, and RJK has been writing new 'lost levels' to the Maure Dungeon. The next one will be in Dungeon 139, so heads up.

As regards your Dungeon collection, get them all.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:32 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Dungeon 112 and 124 are a modern day must. They contain Maure Castle written by RJK in 1E AD&D and converted to 3.5E by Erik Mona and staff.

They took the original WG5 and rewrote it for 3.5E, and RJK has been writing new 'lost levels' to the Maure Dungeon. The next one will be in Dungeon 139, so heads up.

i am just collecting the first 50 issues really. cant be bothered with the ones after that.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:49 am 

I think Dungeon #1 is still available at paizo.com for only $25...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:24 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:Dungeon 112 and 124 are a modern day must. They contain Maure Castle written by RJK in 1E AD&D and converted to 3.5E by Erik Mona and staff.

i am just collecting the first 50 issues really. cant be bothered with the ones after that.

Al

Kill,

It is very scary how great minds think alike. I am going after the first 50 (only have around 20) and that  will do it. My Dragon collection will end at 200 - much closer to finishing that one, though.

I seem to remember a couple good adventures around issues 5-9. I'll check on it.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:54 am 

I'd like the first 100 issues on DVD.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:34 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I'd like the first 100 issues on DVD.

Same here, always was waiting for a cd collection when the Dragon Magazines were put on one, but oh well. I almost have them all anyway.

ShaneG.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:04 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:While my Dragon collection is pretty strong, I have a pretty thin Dungeon collection. And by "thin," I mean "virtually non-existent."
I'd like to have some fun with Dungeon and maybe collect the "best" adventures first. Does anyone have any thoughts and/or favorite adventures they remember (and an issue number would be helpful, if possible)?
I'm also going to use the "30 Greatest" article from Dungeon #116 as a starting point. It listed 10 of the top Dungeon adventures.
Thanks in advance.

Asflag's Unintentional Emporium in #36 was a lot of fun for me and my group back in... too long ago. Its good use of Fiend Folio monsters (volts! bowlers! the C.I.F.A.L.!) and well written encounters did the trick. Bonus points for a running battle with Asflag's guardian familiar - very nasty stuff, that.
Deadly Treasure from the early 40s was a very playable Tomb of Horrors type scenario, where the traps are made from a dead wizard's magic items. Of the three groups I've run through it, only one succeeded, one was TPKed and one left in a hurry - but not before using a spell to seal the damn place forever.  :twisted:
Lady of the Mists (also early 40s) was a good gothic horror themed adventure, which I ran as a straight hackfest. Still very playable.
Last but not least, Crypt of Istaris (which I own in the form of a free promo pamphlet) had its share of entertaining and inventive encounters.

From the 3e period, I didn't really like anything except the Maure Castle series, although I've heard good things about the Age of Worms scenario series.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:12 pm 

Melan's post just sparked a neuron for me, and now I'm trying to remember  a series that Dungeon ran every so often.

I think it was called "Contest of Champions" and I think there were, maybe, four installments, published very irregularly. The idea was to overcome puzzles and traps with teamwork; I seem to remember that there was no combat at all in those adventures.

Is this ringing a bell with anyone? And, if so, do you remember the issue numbers?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:15 pm 

I had fun DMing Shrine of Ilsidahur in Dungeon #10. It's a small jungle-based temple. They give stats for a new Demon Lord, Ilsidahur, so I had him show up at the end. Almost took out the party! Came down to a lucky shot from an NPC who was with them (a cross-planar Boot Hill cowboy).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:08 pm 

I don't recall the issue numbers, but I think the Challenge of Champions adventures did include combat challenges too; I think there were about 5-7 of those.

On the 3.x issues front, Jonathan Tweet's adaptation of the Dungeon of the Fire Opal from the 1e DMG in issue # 84 is quite good.  

I have an index of Dungeon and non-Dungeon adventures that are set in Greyhawk http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh ... tures.html which might help to guide some of your purchasing decisions, and Jay Hafner over on ENWorld has an index of all issues at http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=81883

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:16 pm 

grodog wrote:I have an index of Dungeon and non-Dungeon adventures that are set in Greyhawk http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh ... tures.html which might help to guide some of your purchasing decisions, and Jay Hafner over on ENWorld has an index of all issues at http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=81883

Oooohhhhh, look at the crunchy linkies! So pretty ...

Thanks, Allan. And everyone else, too; this has already been a better response than I originally had hoped for.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:34 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:I think Dungeon #1 is still available at paizo.com for only $25...

... and available on my computer for free. :) I just remembered that it was (legally) PDF'd for inclusion on a CD that came with an issue of Dragon.

I still want a hard-copy of #1, eventually ... but now I can move it down to the bottom of the list. :wink:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:45 pm 

To note, from http://paizo.com/paizo/faq

When will more issues of Dragon and Dungeon be available in PDF form?
Paizo's contract with Wizards of the Coast currently allows us to sell PDFs of issues that have no printed back issues available. While we have permission to make PDFs of issues that have sold out, we also have to make sure we have all of the rights to all of the content in the issues. If it's a Paizo issue, that process is easy, as we know what all of our contracts said, so we're able to sell PDFs shortly after the print issues sell out. If it's an older issue, originally published by Wizards of the Coast, it's more complicated, and if it's a really old TSR issue, it's very, very difficult. As we clarify these rights, we'll introduce more out-of-print issues in PDF form.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:50 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
VermilionFire wrote:I think Dungeon #1 is still available at paizo.com for only $25...

... and available on my computer for free. :) I just remembered that it was (legally) PDF'd for inclusion on a CD that came with an issue of Dragon.

Anybody know the issue of Dragon, and was it a limited release?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:09 pm 

It was #284, which was sold with a polybag. The CD and some other random stuff were included (I think there was even a new-fangled miniature eight-sided die in there).

Of course, it almost goes without saying that the issue is often sold without the CD when it comes up on eBay. Caveat emptor, and all that.

Next