Other TSR Supplements and printings
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:06 pm 

I'm trying to compile the printing info on the other TSR supplements but a couple of them are causing me lots of trouble to track down.  Does anyone have a 1st printing of Tricolor?  I have a few copies and have bought/sold a number more but all of them have been 2nd prints.  Can anyone verify that a TSR first print actually exists.  My guess would be that if it does exist it has a GK logo on it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:20 am 

Hi Mars -

I can confirm there was indeed a first print of Tricolor, I have one here in front of me right now. I also have a 2nd print I can compare it to. Immediate differences that I can see are -

1st print:
- GK logo
- beige colour covers
- copyright 1974
- pricelist inside back cover doesn't list many products
- TSR address given as 542 Sage Street

2nd print:
- Lizardman logo
- white covers
- copyright 1975
- "2nd printing November 1975" on title page
- much larger price list, including Strategic Review
- TSR address given as PO Box 756

Hope this helps.

Looking at the price list in the 1st printing, there's an entry for "Prints from DUNGEONS & DRAGONS - Clear 8-1/2" x 11" reproductions of the illustrations from the rules booklets", and it lists three different sets at $2.50 each. Set 1 for example icludes Amazon, Dragon, Balrog, Dwarf and Nazgul. Does anyone have any info on these sets?

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:58 pm 

I assume prints are the same as these?

Artwork Reproductions.  Mentioned on the back page of early printings of the Original D&D booklet Men & Magic (as well as in Strategic Review #1), these were supposedly three sets of clear, 8 1/2" x 11" reproductions of monster artwork, five monsters per set.  According to Dave Sutherland (an artist with TSR in the early days), the sets were an idea of Tim Kask's (editor of The Dragon magazine), but were never actually produced. (Thanks to Keith Dalluhn for this info).  This research item is closed, but will remain here for trivia purposes.

http://www.acaeum.com/library/research.html

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:07 pm 

mdr003 wrote:Looking at the price list in the 1st printing, there's an entry for "Prints from DUNGEONS & DRAGONS - Clear 8-1/2" x 11" reproductions of the illustrations from the rules booklets", and it lists three different sets at $2.50 each. Set 1 for example icludes Amazon, Dragon, Balrog, Dwarf and Nazgul. Does anyone have any info on these sets?

The same sets are listed in the back of the 1st printing OD&D woodgrain sets.  That's all I know.  Anybody own these sets?

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:14 pm 

See above. Do you guys ever read the non-forum Acaeum web pages?  :wink:

That said, as soon as somebody steps forward with one of the sets, we'll know the above info is not necessarily accurate...
I suppose Tim Kask would be a good source for confirming the info above!

Here's the ad from Strategic Review #1: