Fazzlewood find
Author

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:37 am 

Hello there,

I hope you've all been having fun with the hobby.  I've mostly been on the valuation board of late (and lurking while researching), but I thought I'd stop by to provide some more details on the Quest for the Fazzlewood mod I received in a random lot.

The Ziploc bag is missing.  The outer folder and all 13 sheets are present.  The components are mostly in fine condition, but the entire thing was hole-punched and put into a folder long ago.  I removed it and placed the individual sheets in archival sleeves.

There are no dates or markings to determine provenance.  I can't be sure who the original owner was, but I believe it was someone who DM'ed tournaments around 1980.

The other materials in the folder were C2 Ghost Tower of Inverness (1980 version, used in Wintercon VIII) and JG124 Escape from Astigar's Lair (1980, used in Michicon VIII).  It's worth noting that Fazzlewood was used at 1979's Wintercon VII, and sold at 1980's Wintercon VIII.  A Dungeoneer 17 (May-June 1980) was included in the lot as well.  From this circumstantial evidence I'm assuming that these materials may have been played/collected in Detroit, MI in 1980, but that's pure speculation.

(The C2 and JG124 both have play notes; the Fazzlewood fill-outs, however, are blank.  The C2 and JG124 are photocopies, and heavily annotated.  The Fazzlewood is original, which may explain why the owner decided not to write in it.)

Contents summary of the module, for those interested in comparing to O1, are as follows:

•        Folder, front cover:  "Quest for the Fazzlewood, a One-on-One Dungeon," familiar as from the scan.
•        Folder, left inside leaf:  "DM Map," with player start position in the south and false doors in the north.
•        Folder, right inside leaf:  "Combat Tables," with procedures for fighting ogres, basilisk, apprentice, etc.
•        Folder, back cover:  "Designer's Notes by John Van De Graaf"
•        Sheet 1, front:  Quest for the Fazzlewood scenario outline
•        Sheet 1, back:  (Continued)
•        Sheet 2, front:  Pre-generated character sheet
•        Sheet 2, back:  Blank
•        Sheet 3, front:  General instructions to Dungeon Masters
•        Sheet 3, back:  Map A
•        Sheet 4, front:  Encounter key, beginning with A (Cavern Entrance)
•        Sheet 4, back:  Map B
•        Sheet 5, front:  Encounter key continued, B (Ogre Den)
•        Sheet 5, back:  Map C
•        Sheet 6, front:  Encounter key continued, C (Antechamber)
•        Sheet 6, back:  Map D1
•        Sheet 7, front:  Blank (to keep maps facing keys)
•        Sheet 7, back:  Map D2
•        Sheet 8, front:  Encounter key continued, D (Hallway)
•        Sheet 8, back:  Map E
•        Sheet 9, front:  Encounter key continued, E (Black Door Corridor)
•        Sheet 9, back:  Map F
•        Sheet 10, front:  Encounter key continued, F (The Outer Sanctum)
•        Sheet 10, back:  Map G
•        Sheet 11, front:  Encounter key continued, G through I
•        Sheet 11, back:  Map I
•        Sheet 12, front:  Encounter key continued, J (The Inner Sanctum)
•        Sheet 12, back:  Encounter key continued, J continued
•        Sheet 13, front:  Player Evaluation Sheet (not filled in)
•        Sheet 13, back:  Blank

That's all for now!  Let me know if you have any questions.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:13 am 

hey kent! nice to hear from you yet again.

am really glad that the fazzle turned out to be the real thing. super-nice find that then!!!

glad i put it as an interesting thing on ebay now :D

frank is a pretty decent expert on these things so hopefully he will pipe in with some useful stuff :)

Al

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:23 am 

Great find!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:36 am 

Great find!  Congratulations.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:22 pm 

Thanks, guys.  I've been playing more and collecting less, and I'd taken a year-long break from acquisitions, so it was a nice "welcome back" to that side of the hobby.  ;)

I'll likely be auctioning it off in the weeks to come.  The wife seems to like paid bills more than D&D papers from 20-odd years ago.  Curiouser and curiouser ...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:17 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
frank is a pretty decent expert on these things so hopefully he will pipe in with some useful stuff :)

Al

You mean the other Frank, right, Al?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:31 pm 

Nice to hear from Dark.

Thanks for the info. It is always great to get some extra intel on those darn things.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:49 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:

Al

You mean the other Frank, right, Al?

no frank you.
to me, you are mr fazzlewood - you have had like 40 or so of them havent you :D :D :D

Al

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:16 pm 

Well, I'd check the cover to be sure it isn't a photocopy. The fact that the owner had a photocopy of C2 raises the possibility. I would ask him if the Faz is an original. Pagewise it seems complete and accurate. My guess is he bought it at VIII and never used it. It is kind of strange, though, that he has photocopies of C2 and Astigar and not originals. If he actually played at the Con, as the notes might seem to indicate, perhaps he bought the originals and made copies to use at the Con. That would mean the original C2 is probably still in his possession. BUT, is the seller even the original owner?
I have always thought tht the fact that it was present at two different Cons is the reason many believed there were 2 printings.
Out of curiosity, what was the number of the C2? That would possibly make a big difference in figuring out what happened.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:50 pm 

Heheh!  This is my first Fazzlewood, so I don't have another to compare it to.  :)

Here's a little more detail:

Unfortunately the seller was not the original owner, and they had no idea of what they had.  I asked them if the Fazzlewood was photocopied, and they said it was not.  That was the cue that prompted me to bid.  I didn't want to tip them off that it might be valuable, though, so I put in a low bid and didn't ask further questions.  They had this stuff in a "cast-off" auction; apparently they sold a larger collection prior (not sure if it contained C2 and Astigar's?), and this was part of the remnant, a pile of tattered magazines (Dungeoneer, White Dwarf, Dragon) and the folder.

The copied C2 was a 1980 "red" C2, not a limited Inverness.  The paper of the C2 and the Astigar is a bit slick and of poor quality.  You can see the black tracks around the edges where the pages were photocopied.  The text is faint and blurry.  You can also see the spine of the module where it was laid open.

The paper of the Fazzlewood is not slick, and has a more natural consistency.  The typescript is clear and easy to read, noticeably darker.  There are no black tracks or edges on the sheets.  Notice the inner cover visible through it at some points, however.

Here's a cover scan of the cardstock; I've cropped the right to stymie counterfeiters.  I'm not sure how the color will look to everyone else, on my monitor it's a pale pink, but the faint shade is difficult to scan.  Not sure if it's the same printing or what.

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/871/fazzle9jm.jpg

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:22 am 

darkseraphim,

The coloration and texture of the paper seems consistent with Fazzle.  There is no pinkish hue to Fazzle though.  What are the faint black lines/markings at the top and bottom of the cover?  Also there appears to be some type of dungeon map transposed onto the cover.  Is this bleed-off from something that was in contact with it?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:34 am 

The color should be light cream.
I've seen similar lines before on tourney mods. Perhaps a printing issue?

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 am 

Thanks for the input, guys.  I appreciate it.  :)

I'm at work now, but I'll try to get a more accurate scan tonight or tomorrow.  Maybe I'll leave the scanner cover open and set aside some dark borders (other common modules) in the background.  Hopefully that will give a better idea of the gradient; the faint color is difficult to capture.  It's fainter than a pastel T1, which is what the Fazzle looks similar to on my work monitor.

Not sure about the scuffs at top, if that's a print roller mark or what.  The dungeon map visible below the "F" is bleed-through from the interior cover.  You can also see inner-cover typescript above the "t" in "Quest."

For the interior, I can post an interior Fazzle sheet and a photocopy C2 sheet for comparison; I'm not sure though if I should watermark it.  Probably not necessary, since the module is well-known as O1, but I will mark it if anyone has any concerns.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:34 am 

Dark, here's a simple test you can perform with the cover:

Take a pair of binoculars, and, under bright, natural light, look with one eye through the reversed lens at the edge of one of the letters on the cover. You want to look through the large lens, with the small lens held very close to the paper.  If it's an original, you should see the fibers of the paper, and irregularities where the ink pooled around and among the fibers, and uneven coverage where it didn't.

This is what mine looks like (the one I bought from Howard, Metro Detriot Gamers).  The closeup is a digicam shot that's been magnified, so it's not exactly what you'll see with the binoculars:

Image  Image

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:16 pm 

Kent! A pleasant surprise — welcome back.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:35 pm 

Hi Xaxaxe, thanks for the welcome :)

Thanks for the tips, Bombadil, much appreciated.  I can see the grain of the paper, and the map bleed-throughs on your copy and mine are identical, but my copy doesn't seem to have the rough-ink text I can see on your cover detail.  My copy's cover looks more like the Acaeum scan than your photo.  Not sure what to make of it, but thanks for the identification help!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:02 pm 

I think the rough ink text is a result of what you are using to view the picture - if it is scaled (zoomed in or out) it doesn't look smooth.  But at full size it is smooth.