Favorite fantasy/sci-fi literature other than Tolkien
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:41 am 

A Merry New Year and Happy Christmas To You All... Much easier to say Y'all.

Quick Vintage Fantasy Update...

Basically a must read... The Name of the Wind... Just Read It.

Finished Most All Karl Edward Wagner (minus short stories)... Finally acquired Death Angels Shadow.... Took the better part of a year to get one.... I liked it... novellas good stuff... got more into the "Kane" aspect... really ashame Wagner did not write more...

Reading Howard's Cthulhu... which I also like... Some are Howard trying to be Lovecraft and others are just Howard... Which is fine by me.

Disco Out.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:14 pm 

Resurrecting this old thread to add a debut novel that came out earlier this week.  If you get a chance, pick up Blood Song by Anthony Ryan.  Best debut novel I can think of since Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.  It's been a while since I read a fantasy novel that has me very riveted and wanting to read and get the series (as it comes out).  Very well done, avoids cliches, and definitely keeps one turning the pages.  It's not a "bestseller" yet but definitely a true "diamond in the rough" to use a cliche of my own.  Check out the reviews on amazon.com for Blood Song and pick it up.  It's worth your while.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:28 pm 

mrmanowar wrote in Favorite fantasy/sci-fi literature other than Tolkien:Resurrecting this old thread to add a debut novel that came out earlier this week.  If you get a chance, pick up Blood Song by Anthony Ryan.  Best debut novel I can think of since Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.  It's been a while since I read a fantasy novel that has me very riveted and wanting to read and get the series (as it comes out).  Very well done, avoids cliches, and definitely keeps one turning the pages.  It's not a "bestseller" yet but definitely a true "diamond in the rough" to use a cliche of my own.  Check out the reviews on amazon.com for Blood Song and pick it up.  It's worth your while.

I'll check this out but the reviews on Amazon aren't worth shit.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Last edited by JasonZavoda on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:38 pm 

I check this out but the reviews on Amazon aren't worth shit.[/quote

OK, I'll grant you this, but don't let this deter you from checking out what is a truly good novel in Blood Song.  I suppose I shouldn't have endorsed amazon in light of other issues we all have with them and/or reviewers.  I was pointing there based on familiarity with many people, not necessarily people with good taste and/or taste that specifically appealed to the Acaeum crowd.
Thanks for the heads up Jason.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:38 am 

mrmanowar wrote in Favorite fantasy/sci-fi literature other than Tolkien:I check this out but the reviews on Amazon aren't worth shit.[/quote

OK, I'll grant you this, but don't let this deter you from checking out what is a truly good novel in Blood Song.  I suppose I shouldn't have endorsed amazon in light of other issues we all have with them and/or reviewers.  I was pointing there based on familiarity with many people, not necessarily people with good taste and/or taste that specifically appealed to the Acaeum crowd.
Thanks for the heads up Jason.

Yes, no reflection on this book, but the Amazon review system is a complete waste of time.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:46 pm 

I am just finishing Sheri Tepper's "Grass" and I think it will make my top ten all time SciFi list. Awesome book.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:35 am 

Reading through this thread and I'm incredibly surprised that no one has picked up on Barry Hughart and his Bridge of Birds It's a great tale of a China that never was featuring some very vivid characters and the end packs a surprising emotional wallop. I thoroughly recommend it to all and sundry.
The tales of the main hero Number Ten Ox and Master Li "A scholar with a slight flaw in his character" were carried on through two other books and all are equally as good.
It is said that the publishing company fecked him about a great deal and so he stopped writing the stories, by the time he was ready to come around to them again he lost his motivation, so sadly the three brilliant books are all we'll ever have of this wonderful series.
They are now out of print but some second hand book shops or Ebay are sure to have copies so if you see 'em buy 'em.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:18 am 

just reading Philip Francis Nowlan "Armageddon 2419 A.D" - great scifi.

the original adventures of Buck Rogers and Wilma Deering. its an ACE 1962 print of the original 1927 story - fab!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:58 pm 

mrmanowar wrote in Favorite fantasy/sci-fi literature other than Tolkien:Resurrecting this old thread to add a debut novel that came out earlier this week.  If you get a chance, pick up Blood Song by Anthony Ryan.  Best debut novel I can think of since Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.  It's been a while since I read a fantasy novel that has me very riveted and wanting to read and get the series (as it comes out).  Very well done, avoids cliches, and definitely keeps one turning the pages.  It's not a "bestseller" yet but definitely a true "diamond in the rough" to use a cliche of my own.  Check out the reviews on amazon.com for Blood Song and pick it up.  It's worth your while.

Thanks for resurrecting it !!

One of my favorite threads...

Last couple years of reading were recommended here.

Disco

PreviousNext