Favorite fantasy/sci-fi literature other than Tolkien
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 19 of 28123 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 262728
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:30 pm 

I read all the Harry Potter books from start to finish for the first time, and it wasn't a bad read.  It's not heavy duty fantasy like I like, but I can see why so many people were attracted to it.  Rowling likes twists, and I like them too, but there were few shockers.  The last couple of books not only got darker, which I kinda liked, but they also got depressingly gloomy, which I did not.  I wouldn't say it's a must read for fantasy fans, but I certainly think it's worthwhile.

I wonder how many people have been inspired by the Harry Potter stories in their d&d campaigns.  Frankly, there's not a lot of new material there, but some interesting potential.  Horcruxes are an interesting item, although they are conceivably related to a magic jar, or something similar.  The pensive is an interesting magic item which could be used in an adventure. The idea of wands choosing a master is an interesting theory, and "Wandmaker" could be a specialized character class.  There are few new monsters I really liked, and the only new race I can remember are the Veela, and I didn't like them.  Having a Ministry of Magic could be an interesting addition to a town/government.  While there are lots of new names for spells, d&d is not suffering from not enough spells.  And even if you don't like Harry Potter, I certainly imagine the series has added to those who appreciate fantasy, especially new blood, and that's always a good thing.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:36 pm 

Although I have never read this series, I'm happy for the HBO series.  If they release 1 season per book at approximately 1 season a year, then it is conceivable that the author will have to finish writing the books!

I won't even consider starting to read this series until it has been completed.  I seem to recall huge gaps between books and I don't want to invest the time to start and then wait a decade for it to finish.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:12 pm 

J.K. Rowling proved you can do a lot with a copy of The Encycopedia of Witches, Faeries and Goblins.

I would have liked an alternative ending in which Harry finally gets pissed and takes vengeance on the wizarding world for their venal stupidity and their abyssmal treatment of him:

With a jolt, Hermoine realized that someone was missing.  She glanced about at the throng of happy students and wizards.  One chair was empty.

Where's Harry?
 she asked?

Far from Hogwarts and its crowd of feasting heroes, far from the gabled rootops of his childhood world, Harry Potter rode upon the brow of a darkling storm.  The black fury of the Atlantic roiled in his wake as the winds of the demon north howled and tore at his robes.  Onward he flew, into the west, chased by the fingers of gathering night.

Harry raised his wand.  He pointed it at the clouds one last time before he tossed it aside.  The slim rod spun beneath him and was devoured by the hungry sea.  Dumbledore had shown him the way and he understood it at last.

"I have no more need of toys," he said.  "I am no longer a child."

Lighting flashed in the storm's broad belly and Harry reached out to grasp it.  Electric fire rippled from his fingers, wreathing his arm and glimmering in the recesses of his shadowed eyes.  Laughing, he hurled the lightning back into the maelstrom and streaks of power crackled in answer across the sky.

Harry reached up to touch the scar on his forehead.  Now, everything was clear.

"Dumbledore! You were wise and great!" he shouted.  "You were the father I never had.  But you did not see as clearly as you thought.  Now I know what I must do."

Harry lifted his broom and soared upwards, through the storm, up toward the bright heavens far above the tumult.  He slashed through the screaming winds, up to the calm twilight above the swelling clouds.  He looked up at the stars, glowing against the black shroud of space.

"Let them have their victory," he told himself.  "Let them feast their cowardice and celebrate their salvation.  I am no longer their servant.  I go to gather the storms!"

Behind him, in the east, night closed upon jolly Britain, where wizards were drifting off to bed, believing themselves safe and happy.  Under the fabled slates of Hogwarts there was music, dancing and what they believed was peace at last.

"They've forgotten everything they learned," said Harry to the wind.  "But I'll be back to remind them.  Oh yes!  I will return!"

Harry leaned forward and his Firebolt dived back into the storm, picking up speed as he raced the failing light.  A cloak of shadows and wraiths fell behind him, covering his track through the angry night.  So Harry Potter passed into the west and was forgotten...for a time.

How about something more like that?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:40 pm 

HBO has its own schedule. Sopranos had some very  long breaks. I doubt Martin will finish the series anytime soon. Assuming it actually does come to an end even. The first 3 books could read as a trilogy and you could end there Mars. The fourth book is less popular but its good imo and I like the 5th. The books are so HUGE its more like 2-3 books, really,  per volume. The time between publications  is long but in context...

Ask me about my new M16!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:43 am 

FormCritic wrote:How about something more like that?

Nah.
Too bitter, and Harry would never leave his friends to any fate that he perceived as unjust. More importantly he would be leaving his love and sexual partner behind which makes no sense.

Try again.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:03 am 

Icar wrote:

Nah.
Too bitter, and Harry would never leave his friends to any fate that he perceived as unjust. More importantly he would be leaving his love and sexual partner behind which makes no sense.

Try again.

How about something more like:

"If you're reading this, the last line of the last Harry Potter book, and you're over the age of 13, it's time to go out and find a life..."

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:30 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:

"If you're reading this, the last line of the last Harry Potter book, and you're over the age of 13, it's time to go out and find a life..."

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:39 pm 

RPG collector guys ought to be careful with sarcasm.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:21 pm 

FormCritic wrote:RPG collector guys ought to be careful with sarcasm.

What are you trying to say?   :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:20 am 

:D  :D  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:34 pm 

When it comes to sci-fi, of course I love the old Bradbury and Asimov...but IMHO, nothing comes close to Battlefield Earth by L.Ron Hubbard, followed closely by the satirical Mission Earth dekology. Yes, of course it's been forever tainted by that god-awful movie (barely even resembles the book), and I'm no scientologist, but really...it is pure enjoyment...I highly recommend!

William Gibson's Neuromancer.  At the time it was released it was the first book to win the Hugo, Nebula, and Philip K. Dick awards the same year.  Still may be the only one to do so.

Mission Earth and Neuromancer get 2 thumbs up.  For different reasons.

If were talking scifi, if you havnt read "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman (dunno if its been mentioned yet), you are really missing out.

Also going to give 2 thumbs up for the Foundation trilogy from Asimov as well as the Rama series from Clarke.

2 cents accomplished, back to my corner.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:06 pm 

stylean wrote:
Mission Earth and Neuromancer get 2 thumbs up.  For different reasons.

If were talking scifi, if you havnt read "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman (dunno if its been mentioned yet), you are really missing out.

Also going to give 2 thumbs up for the Foundation trilogy from Asimov as well as the Rama series from Clarke.

2 cents accomplished, back to my corner.

The Forever War should be read as a set with Starship Troopers.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:23 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:

I agree, but with a slightly different emphasis. I suppose, for me, it's got something to do with the difference between service and servitude (or spirit and status).

Gildor speaks to Frodo: 'Others dwelt here before hobbits were; and others will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out.'--Tolkien 

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:25 pm 

Vote for your favorite sci-fi/fantasy books:

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/02/138894873 ... asy-titles

Woefully inadequate list.  No Gregory Benford, Fred Saberhagen, or Charles Stross...and no Jack Vance.  And The Legend of Drizzt series makes the list but neither of the first two Dragonlance trilogies?  :scratch:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:20 am 

FormCritic wrote:
The Forever War should be read as a set with Starship Troopers.
I truly pity the people that only know Starship Troopers through the movie(s) and not the book.
That Avalon Hill Starship Troopers board game was interesting, but it has been over 20 years since I played it.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:27 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Vote for your favorite sci-fi/fantasy books:

Woefully inadequate list.  No Gregory Benford, Fred Saberhagen, or Charles Stross...and no Jack Vance.  And The Legend of Drizzt series makes the list but neither of the first two Dragonlance trilogies?  :scratch:

I count 89 that I have read on that list, which includes several series like LotR.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:43 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Vote for your favorite sci-fi/fantasy books:

Also interesting how some authors are credited for an entire series as one entry and others have only one book in a series singled out.

Ex:  Anne McAffery is mentioned for The Crystal Cave...as if there were no other books in that series.  Or Dragonflight, as if that were a stand alone novel.

Ex:  Michael Moorcock is credited with "The Elric Series" and Robert E. Howard is blanket credited for all Conan stories.

Why?

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:38 am 

FormCritic wrote:
Also interesting how some authors are credited for an entire series as one entry and others have only one book in a series singled out.

Ex:  Anne McAffery is mentioned for The Crystal Cave...as if there were no other books in that series.  Or Dragonflight, as if that were a stand alone novel.

Ex:  Michael Moorcock is credited with "The Elric Series" and Robert E. Howard is blanket credited for all Conan stories.

Why?

Do you mean Crystal Singer? Mary Stewart wrote The Crystal Cave (an Arthurian novel, isn't it where Merlin is imprisoned?)

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 19 of 28123 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 262728