Favorite fantasy/sci-fi literature other than Tolkien
Author

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:41 am 

Mike - got to agree with you about Kane. Wagner crafted some magnificent imagery around that character.

Paul - It has been around 30 years since I last read those books. I was a teenager and had not discovered Moorcock at that point.
When I did, I devoured the Elric series, Hawkmoon, Corum, Cornelius Chronicles and damned near everything else that he wrote.

I did read the first Terry Brooks book Sword of Sha na na  :twisted: but did not read any of his others.
I remember our D&D group using the line "I draw my great ash bow" as a punchline directed toward the Brooks book.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:55 pm 

PaulKM:

I've got an old Roger ZELANEY book on my shelf...

It wasn't until last night that I saw it was spelled ZELAZNY!

"Isle of the Dead".

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:48 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:.

I did read the first Terry Brooks book Sword of Sha na na  :twisted: but did not read any of his others.
I remember our D&D group using the line "I draw my great ash bow" as a punchline directed toward the Brooks book.

:lol:  

I don't know the, "Isle of Dread."  I guess I'd better have a look-see.  Thanks.

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:58 am 

PaulKM:

"Isle of the Dead":

It is centuries in the future, and Francis Sandow is the only man alive who was born as long ago as the 20th Century...

1969, with a cover price of um... where's the symbol for "cents" on a modern keyboard?  Well $0.60.

Never read it.
If the Half Price Book chain isn't in your state, their prices are simple:  used books, at half the printed cover price.

So, I used to go to Half Price Books and look for the old Sci-Fi/Fantasy books that had less than $1 cover price.

I could easily walk out with 10-12 50's and 60's sci-fi books for $5!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:51 am 

Isle of the Dead is one of my favorite Zelazny novels, too (after the first 5 Amber books).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:22 am 

Mouse Police wrote:If the Half Price Book chain isn't in your state, their prices are simple:  used books, at half the printed cover price.

Used books are half cover-price unless they are marked "NOST" for "Nostalgia".  In that case, the price goes up.  A lot.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:52 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:Used books are half cover-price unless they are marked "NOST" for "Nostalgia".  In that case, the price goes up.  A lot.

HBP has some real "experts" marking those so-called nostalgia items.  One of my favorite nostalgic prices was the copy of Field Guide to Encounters for $35.  At least it was in the shrinkwrap.  There was also the Dragonlance modules for $25 apiece at another HPB.  Most of them missing maps or counters.  But I think the best example of a nostalgia price, at least for me, was the beat up, taped up Planescape box set for $100.  That got a good laugh.  :lol:

Although, if the majority of the HPB employees that are responsible for marking these items werent clueless, Badmike never would have gotten that OCE and supplements for, what was it....$25?  They just really need to change the name of their stores to "Not Always Half Price Books, But Mostly".  :P

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:31 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

Although, if the majority of the HPB employees that are responsible for marking these items werent clueless, Badmike never would have gotten that OCE and supplements for, what was it....$25?  They just really need to change the name of their stores to "Not Always Half Price Books, But Mostly".  :P

Right next to that OCE was a bunch of Judges Guild "Classics" for $25 each also...... :roll:

Although as a compulsive HPB shopper, I'd have to say the advantage is to the consumer more times than the store. For awhile it swung one way, then another, then was about 50-50.  Lately it seem to be favoring the consumer a little more. Hopefully with the tough economic times stores will see fit to just price the stuff and put it on the shelf, rather than be "experts" in something they don't know (or by using ABEbooks, which is a joke) and have it sit on the shelf for ages.  I still remember the Rod of Seven Parts that sat in the local HPB for almost two years at $50...while missing all the maps.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:01 am 

I wish we had HPBs here.  We have the usual book dumping grounds but from what I've read they just can't compare.  An OCE and supplements for $25.00 8O

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:47 pm 

PaulKM wrote:I wish we had HPBs here.  We have the usual book dumping grounds but from what I've read they just can't compare.  An OCE and supplements for $25.00 8O

Yeah....lucky bastard.  :twisted:   I have found a few cheap uncommon items at HPB over the years but nothing that compares to that.  I heard a few weeks ago that another member in the Dallas area found a copy of Blasted Land for under $10.  I haven't seen it though so it might look like an ogre wiped its butt with it.  :wink:

I can't remember everything I picked up at HPB but probably the best deal I ever found there was a minty condition Holmes box set with the mono B1 for five bucks.  It also included a set of Playing Board character sheets, Monster & Treasure assortment sets 1 - 3, and two TSR Hobby Shop catalogs.  One of which has the original owners name and address on a mailing label which originated in Allentown, Pennsylvania.  And yet it somehow made its way to the HPB store in McKinney, Texas still in amazing condition.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:49 pm 

PaulKM wrote:
Jason, I hope you enjoy the books.  

I'll be looking for your comments, and I'm not going to refund your money if you hate them. ;)

Just finished reading the last book of the Gormenghast "trilogy".
As a body they almost defy description.
I love them...I hate them...I'm glad I read them! 8O
There is a quality about them of slowly moving through a dream or a nightmare.
Many of the characters are thoroughly detestable but interesting.
There is elements of Dickens, Joyce and Shakespeare's Hamlet contained within.
It is a diatribe against the ossification of society caused by rigid dogma, nonsensical rituals and tradition.
The castle itself is a character. Built over 77 generations and so huge that great portions of it are no longer used.
Even people that have spent their lives there get lost if they stray from familiar paths.
I think if Mervyn Peake had been alive in present day he would have made one hell of a scenario designer!  :D

edit: spelling

Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:56 pm 

Jason,

I'm glad another fan of Peake has joined the ranks. :)  (I think that makes three, and the love-hate affair seems to be a consistent theme )  

I completely agree with your assessment.  They are so rich, so well crafted, so strange, so important to literature, especially fantasy, it's a shame they're not widely read.  They're a work of genius, in my opinion.

A dream, a nightmare: agreed. :)

How did you find the transition from the first book to the last two?

Peake as a scenario designer would have be downright scary! :twisted:  

I'm so happy you enjoyed the books.  Now we just have to convince a few others.... :)

Best,

Paul

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:23 pm 

PaulKM wrote:Jason,

I'm glad another fan of Peake has joined the ranks. :)  (I think that makes three, and the love-hate affair seems to be a consistent theme )  

I completely agree with your assessment.  They are so rich, so well crafted, so strange, so important to literature, especially fantasy, it's a shame they're not widely read.  They're a work of genius, in my opinion.

A dream, a nightmare: agreed. :)

How did you find the transition from the first book to the last two?

Peake as a scenario designer would have be downright scary! :twisted:  

I'm so happy you enjoyed the books.  Now we just have to convince a few others.... :)

Best,

Paul

The first book was devoid of clues as to what period of time it was set in.
I was startled in the second book when there was an actual mention of a firearm, although it was never used.
The third book was disturbing on many levels and after reading some of the essays at the back of the book there may be a relationship to Peake's job as a war artist from 1945-46 where he documented in sketches and paintings the devastation of war and the death camps. It is still ambiguous as to what the overall world consists of. There is a curious blend of gothic and science fiction. The Muzzlehatch character is an enigma but somehow seems to be a primal force opposed to the "evils" brought into the world by science.
I have to admit that reading this trilogy has been a rich source of nightmares of dark edifices and claustrophobic forest settings.

Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:53 pm 

Thanks for a great thread, I've picked up some great reading from it.
Only problem, reading back through it....  I now want Midnight Sun...  It seems a little out of what I can justify paying for it on Amazon (well over $100, especially including s&h to UK).  Does it come up on eBay often?  How much might I get it for?  Any other ideas where to search?
Thanks,
Jon

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:33 pm 

jonjhargreaves wrote:Thanks for a great thread, I've picked up some great reading from it.
Only problem, reading back through it....  I now want Midnight Sun...  It seems a little out of what I can justify paying for it on Amazon (well over $100, especially including s&h to UK).  Does it come up on eBay often?  How much might I get it for?  Any other ideas where to search?
Thanks,
Jon

Jon;

An alternative is to just find all the books and short stories on their own. Not really as hard as it seems, and certainly much less expensive.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:41 pm 

books i just been reading (prb for the 50th time):

"Dai San" - Eric Van Lustbader (fantastic story - i love the characters in this so much)

"Barbarossa" - Alan Clark

"To the ends of the Earth" - David Yallop (currently reading this)

"Teach yourself Afrikaans" - H van Schalkwyk (dont say a word - kaz laughs so hard at my pronunciations)

"The Rhodesian War - a military history" - Paul Moorcroft & Peter McLaughlin

"The Wrecks of Time" - Michael Moorcock (another amazing story!)

yeah yeah yeah i havent got a life :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:11 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:"Dai San" - Eric Van Lustbader (fantastic story - i love the characters in this so much)

Good book!  Although I probably like The Sunset Warrior just a bit more.  It's been a looooong time since I read that trilogy.

I started re-reading the Wheel of Time series a couple of months ago.  I am currently on book 5 The Fires of Heaven.  I figure by the time I catch up they will have released the final book.  Strangely enough, when I started reading them over 15 years ago, I really enjoyed the first three books.  But then it took me a couple of months to slog through the fourth book and I finally gave up after number six.  I dont know what the difference is now but after recently finishing the fourth book, The Shadow Rising, I realized that I had judged it pretty harshly the first time around because it ended up being a very good read.  Hopefully I will have the same experience with the rest of them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:17 pm 

you know...that wheel of time thing...i kinda liked some bits of the books i read (about 8 or 9 of them) and if it had been put into about 4 books, i think i would have enjoyed it more. i got so sick of waiting for something interesting to happen in between intervals of absolute boredom...i just gave up in the end. sad, because i felt it had promise - was just too drawn out for me.

DaiSan i enjoyed tho John, simply because it was the final stand of man. i loved how he portrayed it - it was great storytelling and i enjoy it so much, i must read it about once a month.

I know where youre coming from with the Sunset Warrior novel tho. the three of them are a great read. he did another one or two didnt he? like many years after. i didnt follow them up cos i didnt think anything further needed writing to shape off the story in any way. maybe i will go look one of these days when i have nothing better to do.

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext