OT... Do Not Bend
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:13 am 

The phrase 'Please Do Not Bend' does not apply in the UK postal system. This is for three reasons....

1. The majority of postal staff fall into two catagories. The uneducated and the imigrants. The former have no formal education and are unable to seek full-time employment elsewhere in society. Most of them have no motivation either. The latter are motivated, but generally cannot read or write in english and are oppressed in the postal system employment hierarchy by the uneducated white masses.

2. The majority of postal staff have neither the time nor the money to buy products that have to be posted to them. And those who are, are put off the idea, because they work in the post office and see what happens to packages. So damage to packages happens because the majority of postal staff are jealous that the rich can afford to have people post things to them.

3. The postal staff who walk the streets delivering items have a mundane and boring life. Every now and then they come across a package that will not fit through a letter box, and in these instances the challenge of figuring out how to get the package into the hole in the door far outweights any reason or logic in the postman's brain.

I hope this helps people when they package goods for delivery in the UK. I am lucky in that I work from home and can answer the door to the post creature.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:24 am 

i have everything delivered to work so its pretty much the same for me. most secure packages turn up spot on, so i dont have any complaints, except when some muppet mails an item in just an envelope and it gets absolutely mullered.

Al

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:05 am 

"Do Not Bend" is often wishful thinking on our side of the pond, too. Even in my tiny little suburban neighborhood, the quality of the postal service often depends on which carrier is handling the route that day. Some are very good and very careful ... some, not so much.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:37 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:"Do Not Bend" is often wishful thinking on our side of the pond, too. Even in my tiny little suburban neighborhood, the quality of the postal service often depends on which carrier is handling the route that day. Some are very good and very careful ... some, not so much.

This has been true wherever I have lived in the U.S.  Slightly bending to fit inside the curve of a mailbox is standard treatment.  Usually items are fine, but occasionally the bend is more permanent.

If rain is looming, the mail carriers have left items bagged on my mailbox, left items on the front steps, re-delivered later, and knocked on my door to hand-deliver it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:28 am 

I've said it before but it bears repeating - My postman is a HERO - nothing too much trouble and care taken with every parcel I recieve. Perhaps I'm the lucky one! (BTW I think that some postmen consider the words #do not bend' something of a personal challenge!)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:42 am 

gyg wrote:BTW I think that some postmen consider the words #do not bend' something of a personal challenge!

I think they miss-read it as 'Does Not Bend' and think 'we'll just see about that'.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:19 am 

That's why in the few auctions where I was concerned about bending, I asked the sender to factor the cost of a box into S&H.  A sturdy box says "suck it" to the bend-happy postal worker. :)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:21 pm 

"Fragile" = How far can I kick this?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:56 pm 

chromaticknight wrote:"Fragile" = How far can I kick this?

No, no...Fragile, it must be Italian or something...

:lol:

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:54 pm 

I had a post guy who managed to fold a miniatures box to cram it into my little appartment mail-box thing. Y'know, the good ol' Ral Partha boxes? Yeah, he actually FOLDED IT IN HALF. There were 3 stamps on it saying "Do Not Bend".

Never had another problem with him after I waited for him in the lobby and reamed him for it. Then again, he was transferred off my route or quit sometime soon after. I've always liked to think I was responsible.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:31 pm 

Does putting 'Photos Do Not Bend' work any better? (barring this is not send out of country). I think I've only had that on a package a few times and it was always delivered to my door.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:10 am 

I think that weight is more of an issue when shipping outside the US.  I got a Thieves Guild 5 (first print) that looked like Bigfoot stepped on it somewhere along the way.

I encouraged the seller to think about the weight/cost of cardboard in the future.  It was shipped in a taped evelope...and nothing else.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:48 am 

Cardboard doesn't really help if it's a book sized package. Take a piece of cardboard that size and try to bend it - unless it's magical cardboard that I haven't seen yet, it just folds. It makes it a little bit less likely to bend, but if someone is actually *trying*, it's not going to make any difference at all :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:00 am 

GraysonAC wrote:I had a post guy who managed to fold a miniatures box to cram it into my little appartment mail-box thing. Y'know, the good ol' Ral Partha boxes? Yeah, he actually FOLDED IT IN HALF. There were 3 stamps on it saying "Do Not Bend".

Never had another problem with him after I waited for him in the lobby and reamed him for it. Then again, he was transferred off my route or quit sometime soon after. I've always liked to think I was responsible.

It's generally impossible to get those sort of cretins fired in the US (because of the union), but you can get them transferred  Several years ago I lived on a "walking" route with the mailboxes at the front door of the house. Everything was fine until we got a new guy on the route who thought "walking" was just a a little too physical.  Instead of walking the packages I (and everyone else on his routed) recieved up to the door, he would simply leave them at the end of the driveway (dont you know that extra 20 feet to the door might be too much to walk).  I complained about him to no avail, then one day he ran his route the same day the trash guys ran late...and they pretty much threw away a neighborhood's worth of packages that day since they were sitting at the end of the driveway near the trash.  Such a chorus of insanely angry voices calling the post office and descending upon the supervisor in person! (lucky I was not one of them...)  The guy was gone THE NEXT DAY, banished to the bowels of the loading dock or sorting department, never to see the light of day again (although still not fired, sheesh).

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com