Moving to US
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:55 am 

Hi, I am about (probably in July or August) to move to Hartford, CT for some months. My job is taking me jere:

http://www.utrc.utc.com/

Do any Acaeum members happen to hail from between New York and Boston?

One of the good things is that I will be able to make purchases both in Europe and in the US at reasonable shiping costs. If I find an item in Europe, I will ship it to my home, in the US I will get it there and take it home when I come back to Italy.

And of course, I hope I manage to find some interesting stores around there, to make direct purchases. eBay works decently well, but it's nothing like buying in a real store. Possibly with a cute girl as an employee.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:32 am 

Yep.
Derby, CT. - About an hour away.
Welcome to the "Gold Coast".   Everything here costs a lot of gold.

Check out War and Pieces - link here

A couple others near you also. I havn't been up there since 2001. Was mostly a wargame/boardgame/train/rocketry store.

Not sure if they have OOP stuff.

Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood!

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:53 pm 

I'll be in Boston next week, any pointers would be appreciated :D

I travel to Westford, MA, infrequently, since we have offices there, so any stores of interest in that area would also be appreciated!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:47 pm 

guerret wrote:Hi, I am about (probably in July or August) to move to Hartford, CT for some months. My job is taking me jere:

Do any Acaeum members happen to hail from between New York and Boston?

One of the good things is that I will be able to make purchases both in Europe and in the US at reasonable shiping costs. If I find an item in Europe, I will ship it to my home, in the US I will get it there and take it home when I come back to Italy.

And of course, I hope I manage to find some interesting stores around there, to make direct purchases. eBay works decently well, but it's nothing like buying in a real store. Possibly with a cute girl as an employee.

Cesare, if you make it anywhere near the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas  area during your time in the states you are always welcome here...the first beer is on me.
   A cute girl in a game store?  Saw one working once at the local store many years ago.  Unfortunately she was quickly let go and they settled into overweight clones of the Comic Store guy from the Simpsons the last few years....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:53 pm 

Westford? let me know when you go there. We can hook up and swap stories! I'm about 35 minutes from there. lordan isn't too far either.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:04 am 

Will do, Frank :D  Given all of my travel this quarter, I'm not likely to visit there until the 2nd half of the year sometime, but I'll definitely let you know when it comes up!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:24 am 

guerret wrote:Hi, I am about (probably in July or August) to move to Hartford, CT for some months. My job is taking me jere:

How long will you be there?  I was planning to move to Italy for a few months this year, and need a place to stay.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:32 am 

bombadil wrote:

How long will you be there?  I was planning to move to Italy for a few months this year, and need a place to stay.

Uhm, about six months. However I don't think I'm going to rent my house. If you need assistance in finding lodging, however, I know people in several cities, so it is possible that I can help you.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:18 am 

Badmike wrote:Cesare, if you make it anywhere near the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas  area during your time in the states you are always welcome here...the first beer is on me.
   A cute girl in a game store?  Saw one working once at the local store many years ago.  Unfortunately she was quickly let go and they settled into overweight clones of the Comic Store guy from the Simpsons the last few years....

Mike B.

Honestly, I don't think that Texas will be in range for me. However, if I happen to find the winter of New England too rigid and need a warm break, I will consider it. Thanks for your offer.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:38 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Westford? let me know when you go there. We can hook up and swap stories! I'm about 35 minutes from there. lordan isn't too far either.

I'm about an hour south of there but I'm sure we could hook up somewhere, wear your drinking boots though :) . There are some decent shops in Mass but I have raped most of them east of Worcester, albiet not withing the past few years though so some may have got things in.

some stores withing reason:

Outer Limits in Waltham. Occasionally gets used stuff in. I picked up SR # 1 there last summer.

Danger Planet in Waltham. Newer store so carries little in old stuff IIRC

3 Trolls Games & Puzzles in Chelmsford. last time I tried to go it was closed so no idea what they carry atm.

Can't really think of anymore off hand ( well that are within reason, if you want to drive a bit there are alot more mid-state ). I can dig deeper as I have a ton of Business cards kicking around from various stores ( most are defunct now :( )

Frank, this weather sucks..................... :evil:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:00 pm 

Well, we got a LOT in a short amount of time, but we really needed it. I went out the weekend before last and it was dryer than an 80 year old's............. So this deluge might help prevent a drought. They did shut down 1/2 of the city and call out the National Guard, which was amusing.
You, me and Grodog. We will have to make sure we allow for bail money.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:59 am 

guerret wrote:Honestly, I don't think that Texas will be in range for me. However, if I happen to find the winter of New England too rigid and need a warm break, I will consider it. Thanks for your offer.

Hey, if you want to visit Orlando/Disney/Universal, tickets are reasonable from the north to Florida, and all the snowbirds leave the north during winter for Florida anyways. :)

edit:

PS, if you ever want to meet up, see the sights, etc...shoot me a PM and I'm glad to give tour advice. :D

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.