Favoite D&D movie that isn't a D&D movie
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:54 am 

Zippanthropus wrote:WHY HAVE THE GODS FORSAKEN US? And while we're on the subject of being forsaken and woman in chainmail bikinis, does anyone remember that movie that came out either last year or the one before about King Arthur?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0349683/

Would you be referring to this one?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:59 am 

The Hobbit, by Rankin Bass, was a big influence on me.  

I happened to catch it on TV back in 1977.  Imagine my shock when a stupid childrens' story turned out to be about dragon-slaying, war and darkness in the (demi-) human heart!  I was impressed, to say the least.

The Hobbit TV production led me to The Hobbit book and that led to LOTR and that led me...here.

The Return of the King...the Rankin Bass conclusion to the stinker first effort at an animated LOTR...was also an excellent production.

I own a copy of the Rankin Bass version of The Hobbit and I watch it from time to time...still pretty good after almost 30 years.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:13 am 

MShipley88 wrote:The Hobbit, by Rankin Bass, was a big influence on me.  

I happened to catch it on TV back in 1977.  Imagine my shock when a stupid childrens' story turned out to be about dragon-slaying, war and darkness in the (demi-) human heart!  I was impressed, to say the least.

The Hobbit TV production led me to The Hobbit book and that led to LOTR and that led me...here.

The Return of the King...the Rankin Bass conclusion to the stinker first effort at an animated LOTR...was also an excellent production.

I own a copy of the Rankin Bass version of The Hobbit and I watch it from time to time...still pretty good after almost 30 years.

Mark   8)

has anyone ever seen Ralph Bakshi's "Fire & Ice" ? thats a great animated film, done pretty much in the same vein as he did the Lord of the Rings.

very hard to get hold of too.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:25 am 

killjoy32 wrote:

Mark   8)

has anyone ever seen Ralph Bakshi's "Fire & Ice" ? thats a great animated film, done pretty much in the same vein as he did the Lord of the Rings.

Al

I bought it at a convention one year and made the mistake of not watching it until the circus left town. It was unwatchable from a tape-quality point of view.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:27 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Zippanthropus wrote:WHY HAVE THE GODS FORSAKEN US? And while we're on the subject of being forsaken and woman in chainmail bikinis, does anyone remember that movie that came out either last year or the one before about King Arthur?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0349683/

Would you be referring to this one?

Why yes. Yes I would. The fight scenes were cool, IIRC, until the woman starts to fight. Ugh! I'd rather watch reruns of Xena, Warrior princess.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:43 am 

Bakshi's Wizards was good.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:51 am 

killjoy32 wrote:

Mark   8)

Al

Not so hard anymore.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A2 ... ance&n=130

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:27 pm 

Marlith wrote:Not so hard anymore.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A2 ... ance&n=130

:D

well it was 5-6 years ago - honest :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:30 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Bakshi's Wizards was good.

Wizards was very cool.  Saw it in 5th grade and I still watch it from time to time.  IMHO it is much better than Fire & Ice.  Of course the new Fire & Ice DVD has the extra "Painting With Fire" DVD included which is pretty awesome.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:35 pm 

Wizards - God saw that when it came out in the theaters in the 70's.. Still love it.

Fire & Ice- Guess what I have to buy now.

The Hobbit - Ye haw , Richard Boone as the voice of Smaug.. Great movie.. I also happen to love the animated LotR.. :oops: ... God will smite me I'm sure.

I have an affinity with really bad sword and sorcery movies that I love to collect. My wife gives me some really ugly looks on the weekends when I break the out  :twisted: .. Of course I get the same look for the Godzilla movies as well come to think of it.

Maraudar

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:23 am 

After all this talk about movies I havent seen in years I decided to watch the director's cut of Legend this past weekend.  I didnt like Jerry Goldsmith's score nearly as much as I liked the Tangerine Dream music.  It just didnt fit the movie. Ridley Scott added a bit more scenes and changed the ending a bit as well.  I definitely prefer the original version.

I also watched Ralph Bakshi's Wizards yesterday after I got home from work.  Even though I still enjoy the film it definitely needs an update.  I didnt remember the score being quite as bad as it was.  Parts of the musical score reminded me of the freeform Jazz Odyssey near the end of Spinal Tap.  Just plain awful.  :?

I also fondly remember the Rankin-Bass versions of The Hobbit and Return of the King.  I could have done without the songs though.   :wink:

And speaking of Miyazaki, I dont watch very much anime...but Warriors of the Wind is one of the best movies (animated or otherwise) I have ever seen.  The Disney rerelease Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is essentially the same movie with voiceovers by "famous actors" and a few added/deleted scenes.  I know that there is an original Japanese version out there but I have never seen it.  Great fantasy/post-apocalyptic flick.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:40 am 

[quote="Kingofpain89"]
I also fondly remember the Rankin-Bass versions of The Hobbit and Return of the King.  I could have done without the songs though.   :wink:
quote]

Well, there you go....

One man's classic moment is another man's irritating pause in the action.

I thought that the songs were an excellent way of telling about a journey and moving the story along.  The songs made the show, man!   :)

Now, who can beat Roads Go Ever On, or Fifteen Birds in Five Fir Trees?  Or, who hasn't loved We Don't Wanna Go to War Today from Return of the King? There's also, Down Down to Goblin Town, who doesn't love that one?  

Also, the voice acting for Gollum was really good.  And, the scene with Smaug's eyes, glaring about his lair as searchlight beams...well, that really hooked me on the genre.  It was some of Tolkien's best writing.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:26 pm 

And, the scene with Smaug's eyes, glaring about his lair as searchlight beams..

In my AD&D games Dragons can see invisible objects. It all goes back to this scene.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:53 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:I also fondly remember the Rankin-Bass versions of The Hobbit and Return of the King.  I could have done without the songs though.   :wink:
quote]

Well, there you go....

One man's classic moment is another man's irritating pause in the action.

I thought that the songs were an excellent way of telling about a journey and moving the story along.  The songs made the show, man!   :)

Now, who can beat Roads Go Ever On, or Fifteen Birds in Five Fir Trees?  Or, who hasn't loved We Don't Wanna Go to War Today from Return of the King? There's also, Down Down to Goblin Town, who doesn't love that one?  

Also, the voice acting for Gollum was really good.  And, the scene with Smaug's eyes, glaring about his lair as searchlight beams...well, that really hooked me on the genre.  It was some of Tolkien's best writing.

Mark   8)

It wasnt necessarily the songs themselves that I didnt like.  It was the guy singing them that I disliked.  What the hell was up with the vibrato?  Sounded like he was running a jackhammer at the same time he was singing.  :lol:   I did get tired of one of the songs in Return of the King.  I think it was titled "The Bearer of the Ring" or something like that.  It just went on and on and on.... :P

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:31 pm 

Well as we say in my production room, 'where they're a whip, there's a way...'

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:03 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Well as we say in my production room, 'where they're a whip, there's a way...'

A line so great, I got it on a bumper sticker.  8)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:39 pm 

The Hobbit is excellent. And yes, I like the songs, too. They add color and a certain "feeling" to the movie. The Return of the King movie isn't as good, but still fun to watch.

I still read The Hobbit about once every few years. I used to read every summer...that was some time ago, though.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:17 pm 

bbarsh wrote:The Hobbit is excellent. And yes, I like the songs, too. They add color and a certain "feeling" to the movie. The Return of the King movie isn't as good, but still fun to watch.

I still read The Hobbit about once every few years. I used to read every summer...that was some time ago, though.

i still reckon that if they did the hobbit as a proper movie, it would be way better than lord of the rings.

i wish the movie companies would quite arguing about contracts and cuts etc and get it sorted.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext