Favoite D&D movie that isn't a D&D movie
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:07 pm 

Mars wrote:Has anyone seen the movie The Gamers (2002 or 2003) by Dead Gentlemen Productions?  I've heard good things but can't seem to find it at the local video store.

The Gamers is great — I bought the DVD and met all the actors at the first Gen Con SoCal (which was 2003). My non-gaming wife enjoyed it, but many of the best jokes are reserved for us geek-types ("You want to backstab him with a ballista?!?")

dbartman wrote:At least someone, other than me, liked Ladyhawke :D

Michelle Pfeiffer was really hot then.  Matthew Broderick was an amusing thief.  Rutger Hauer was intense.  The music was appropriate for the time the movie was produced.

I loved Ladyhawke. And one of my first reactions upon leaving the theater was "you know, there were some D&D-like scenes in that movie."

The music, despite the naysayers' protests here, was generally quite good (and, interestingly, it's basically an Alan Parsons Project album). I've found that the people who don't like the synthesizers in Ladyhawke also don't enjoy the modern rock 'n' roll in A Knight's Tale ... and, frankly, I've found most of those people to be entirely humorless.

Radagast the Brown wrote:Is The Blues Brothers a D&D movie?
:)  :)  :)

Why not? It's got clerics (the nuns), orcs (the Nazis), and some other elements that require only a little bit of translation. Plus, in all seriousness, it is one of the best quest movies ever made.

killjoy32 wrote:highlander (just the first one - i dont even acknowledge the sequels)l

What sequels?

red_bus wrote:[13th Warrior] ... Scary because you really don't know what is going to happen.

I'll agree that it is a dark, gritty, well-made, and highly enjoyable film ... but as to the eventual outcome? It's the Beowulf legend; I was never in any real doubt as to how most everything would be resolved.

My "sort of reminded me of D&D" list would read (assuming we still can't use LotR or Conan):

1. Highlander
2. Ladyhawke
3. A Knight's Tale
4. Python/Grail
5. a big tie between Clash of the Titans, Dragonheart, 13th Warrior, Time Bandits, and maybe even the original Heavy Metal movie.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:10 pm 

The Vikings, Pirates of the Carribean and there was some film I can't remember the name though  :(  based on Baba Yaga. Can also include Alladin if your want a Middle Eastern flair.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:50 pm 

oh yes...forgot some there but a few were mentioned!

the vikings - pure class.

13th warrior - one of my fave quest films and the fights are fab! what a great group of warriors!

steel dawn - i also liked this - futuristic isnt everyones kettle of fish but its still a good lil film.

one most ppl won't remember, the barbarians. good little fun film. i really enjoyed it all them years back.

excalibur is one of my all time fave films.

in the spelljammer vein, ice pirates is a fab fun little film

tom cruises legend is a class fantasy film

in a form of kara-tur / oriental kinda stuff, you have house of flying daggers, hero and the classic, seven samurai.

and another fave of mine...sinbad and the eye of the tiger - pure classic.

if you want to see a list of fantasy films, cos you cant think of a name or something, try this one:

http://www.imdb.com/List?genres=Fantasy ... ude-titles

(yes guys, i love films)

and yes, the list can go on and on...i love fantasy/sci-fi and am a sucker for a film with a good ol quest / good vs evil thing.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:03 pm 

Marlith wrote:The Vikings, Pirates of the Carribean and there was some film I can't remember the name though  :(  based on Baba Yaga. Can also include Alladin if your want a Middle Eastern flair.

Damn, I've seen that Baba Yaga type movie too and can't recall the name.

Blair Witch Project, what happens when the party gets lost :lol:

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:08 pm 

Plaag wrote:
Marlith wrote:The Vikings, Pirates of the Carribean and there was some film I can't remember the name though  :(  based on Baba Yaga. Can also include Alladin if your want a Middle Eastern flair.

Damn, I've seen that Baba Yaga type movie too and can't recall the name.

Blair Witch Project, what happens when the party gets lost :lol:

ShaneG.

the baba yaga thing. what was it about and can you remember who was in it?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:08 pm 

Plaag wrote:Almost forgot..Cabin Boy
The perfect seafaring adventure..just watch out for the tobacco spitting cupcake :lol:

ShaneG.

Cabin Boy 8O

Try Yellow Beard. Now that was a great movie.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:32 pm 

Onlondore wrote:Lot's of great movies mentioned so far. I'm a fan of many of them: Highlander, Jason and the Argonauts, Willow, Excalibur.

Let me add The Golden Voyage of Sinbad. Great old-style D&D movie. Map puzzle to secret island. Wizard with homonculus. Animated statue of Kali. Ray Harryhausen special effects. And of course, Tom Baker as the evil wizard Koura.

Here, here!  My friends and I wasted many a Saturdayafternoon catching the Sinbad movies on the rerun channel in my home town, they always ran fantasy, SF or horror Saturday afternoons and evenings.  We finally started realizing all the movies we loved had this Harryhausen guy doing the special effects....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:25 pm 

There is a Baba Yaga Russian film that MST3K does called "Jack Frost". I almost pissed my pants when I saw that one!

The Vikings = 3.0

That was a goody too.

BTW, the only reason I didn't piss my pants was because I wasn't wearing any at the time   :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:10 pm 

oh....and Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness

totally hilarious! Bruce Campbell rocks

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:43 pm 

I have not heard anyone mention that movie that has had the most enormous impact on wargaming, role-playing and D&D.

That movie was Star Wars.

Although it is now dated and passe, in its time, Star Wars paved the way for much of the fantasy/sci fi interest of the early gaming era....

It is also the source of many game character archetypes and catchphrases.

When will the Elric movie come out!

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:03 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Its called plus 15 on his quickdraw feat :D

Blackmoor, you are talking 3rd Edition terms. Please moderate your vulgarities, or else someone might ban you!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:37 am 

Pirates of the Caribbean, Princess Bride, but already mentionned.
Another movie :
Brotherhood of the Wolf.
A french one  :oops: ...

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:45 am 

le Rahib wrote:Pirates of the Caribbean, Princess Bride, but already mentionned.
Another movie :
Brotherhood of the Wolf.

I rather liked Brotherhood of the Wolf, subtitles and all.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:30 pm 

Plaag wrote:
le Rahib wrote:Pirates of the Caribbean, Princess Bride, but already mentionned.
Another movie :
Brotherhood of the Wolf.

I rather liked Brotherhood of the Wolf, subtitles and all.

ShaneG.

yea i have seen two versions of that - subtitled and dubbed. trying to think which one i liked the most, but was still a good lil film.

i remember a tv program from back in the seventies, the flashing blade - that was cool :)

and of course, the three musketeers (not the hollywood-ised one mind) - the olly reed one.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:51 pm 

Brotherhood of the Wolf = 3.0

I brought a friend to see this who had no idea what it was about (good, because it stopped him from prejudging it). He thought it would sukk because he didn't like the idea of subtitles. 2 weeks later he didn't remember there were subtitles.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:43 pm 

Brotherhood of the Wolf   :roll:

Movie starts out scary.  Gets unscary.  Ends up with a dude who has somehow been pretending to only have one arm (why? how?) and actually has a bone chain under his shirt that he uses for martial arts.  This movie cannot figure out what it's about.   8O

Turns out it is about French revolutionary lion tamers who join the Brotherhood of the Wolf (which is not in the movie until the last scene) to eat children, kill virgins, dress up lions in costumes, rebel against the king and learn martial arts techniques involving human bones, only to be foiled by a French naturalist and his kung fu Indian sidekick.  All pefectly clear, right?

(Apparently, being Iroquois makes one good at martial arts as well.   :?  I definitely recall the extended kung fu fight scene in Fort Apache.  8O  And, god knows, Crazy Horse was infamous for his flying-dragon-sky-wheel circle kick!  :lol: )

Perhaps it makes sense in French.  

My best friend (who was the one who rented the movie) turned to me when that dude pulled the bone chain (apparently out of his butt) and said, "Did this director just go f**kin', buck wild nuts?  What the hell is this movie about?"

And I'm trying to be nice!   :wink:

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:01 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:dress up lions in costumes

8O  8O  8O  8O

I would love to see someone try and dress up a lion in a costume. Particularly on a day when the lion is not interested in wearing a costume.  :lol:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:21 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:and of course, the three musketeers (not the hollywood-ised one mind) - the olly reed one.

Al

Speaking of The Three Musketeers and bad Hollywood-ized movies...did anyone else here see the steaming pile of crap The Musketeer?  Of all the movies that tried to capitalize on The Matrix style of action sequencing, this one blew chunks worse than all of them.  I think it almost ended Tim Roth and Stephen Rea's careers.

The scene where D'Artagnan and Febre are swordfighting 15' up in the air in the room full of ladders is the most absurd thing I have ever seen.

By the way...have you guys seen the newest trailer for Superman Returns?  I get chill bumps just thinking about it.  Kevin Spacey is a total wacko...cant wait to see what he does in this movie.  I am looking forward to Superman almost as much as I am X3.  8)

PreviousNext