Favoite D&D movie that isn't a D&D movie
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:33 am 

Of course there is Braveheart. I love the battle scenes, but there are a number of shots in that film that are just...bad editing. The horse out the window hits the water...and floats on its side?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:38 am 

MShipley88 wrote:The 13th Warrior  

Simply an awesome treatment of the genre even though it is an adaptation of a novel by Michael Crichton...one of Hollywood's cheesiest authors.  An astonishingly accurate portrayal of Norse society and thought patterns...although with some deliberately anachronistic armor.  A beautiful adaptation that even makes us cheer for a Moslem protagonist.  Some of the cinematography in this movie was just mindblowing, including a moving closeup shot of the faces of charging horses, lit by firelight.  Too cool.

I'm very intrigued.  I've never even heard of the film.  And seems to have been well received.  <places order on amazon>

Probably something to do with the release date why I never saw the 13th Warrior.

I was off the rails 1998-2001 having a great time.  With little time left for the cinema.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:39 am 

A Knight's Tale.
Best example of a non-useless bard, ever.  Subtle "magic" in the armor.  And they're definitely on the best type of quest -- defeat the bad guy and win the girl.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:45 am 

A Knight's Tale. = Is this the one one with Richard (gerbil) Gere?

Nevermind. It's Heath Ledger. This seemed more like a chick flick.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:49 am 

Even though it's not a fantasy flick, Kingdom of Heaven had good battle scenes too. I just wanna stomp on pretty boy's face.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:00 am 

Braveheart, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, Troy...all good movies with spectacular battle scenes.  But I dont think of D&D when I see them.  And if we are going to lump Blade Runner into the mix might as well add Escape From New York.  My personal favorite adventure/action movie.

Highlander is one of my favorite movies of all time.  I would have mentioned it in my original post but I figured it was a given kind of like Conan and LOTR.

And if this thread were about swordfighting movies only, I would have to nominate The Duellists.  Great Ridley Scott flick set during the Napoleonic age.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:04 am 

Zippanthropus wrote:A Knight's Tale. = Is this the one one with Richard (gerbil) Gere?

Nah, you are thinking of First Knight.  That movie is total shit.  Even Sean Connery couldnt save that pile of crap.  Same with Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.  Just how many of you English chaps watched Kevin Costner butcher that movie and didnt laugh through most of the flick?  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:29 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Zippanthropus wrote: = Is this the one one with Richard (gerbil) Gere?

Nah, you are thinking of First Knight.  That movie is total shit.  Even Sean Connery couldnt save that pile of crap.  Same with Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.  Just how many of you English chaps watched Kevin Costner butcher that movie and didnt laugh through most of the flick?  :D

There was another Robin Hood that came out at the same time. English made, IIRC. It was OK.

And the A Knight's Tale was also bad.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:01 am 

Zippanthropus wrote:And the A Knight's Tale was also bad.

I knew I'd draw some flack for mentioning that one.  No glorious battle scenes, drooling monsters, or crazy mystical effects.  Modern music, et. al.  

It was still a lot more fun to watch than LotR, and that's what I look for in a movie.  More importantly, it was nice to see a bard (Chaucer) that wasn't a complete architypical pansy.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:42 am 

only good thing about Knights Tale was Paul Bettany - he's a great actor. good up and coming talent.

my fave films in no particular order of a "D&D" vein are:

highlander (just the first one - i dont even acknowledge the sequels)

Willow - great little story and a joy to watch

knigdom of heaven (tho the plot was very unrealistic, that someone would go from being a blacksmith with no sword skills, to what he was in such a short time...er nah. bar for that, amazing film)

braveheart - very enjoyable and very moving, specially when the girl gets her throat slit. powerful stuff!

Ladyhawke - always love watching this

there are more i dont doubt, but cant remember them right now

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:05 am 

highlander (just the first one - i dont even acknowledge the sequels)

What sequels? There are only 2 Godfather films. Star Wars Episodes 1, 2, & 3 never happened. THERE ARE 4 LIGHTS!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:24 pm 

Zippanthropus wrote:A Knight's Tale. = Is this the one one with Richard (gerbil) Gere?

No the one with Richard Gere is First Knight....the first movie I ever wanted to file a class action lawsuit on. Anyone who had the misfortune of spending time seeing that deserves not only money back but damaages. It would have been bearable had they not made it Arthur and Camelot. If it had been a generic run of the mill S&S movie it would have been ok.

Not nearly as bad, but much better as a book, is Timeline.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:34 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:braveheart - very enjoyable and very moving, specially when the girl gets her throat slit. powerful stuff!
l

If you have Braveheart on video, go back and watch the first big battle scene (Battle of Stirling).

When William Wallace is leading the (artistic license) final charge, take a close look at which weapons he is or is not carrying.  Mel Gibson uses his incredible ninja powers to switch back and forth between three options while on a dead run over 100 yards.  Funny editing quirk.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:41 pm 

In Braveheart, during the funeral of Murron (Wallace's wife) there is a white car driving away in the background as Wallace lifts his head after kissing her forehead.  It's small but it's a strange anomaly for 11th century Scotland...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:36 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:    When William Wallace is leading the (artistic license) final charge, take a close look at which weapons he is or is not carrying.  Mel Gibson uses his incredible ninja powers to switch back and forth between three options while on a dead run over 100 yards.  Funny editing quirk.

Mark   8)

Its called plus 15 on his quickdraw feat :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:43 pm 

Lot's of great movies mentioned so far. I'm a fan of many of them: Highlander, Jason and the Argonauts, Willow, Excalibur.

Let me add The Golden Voyage of Sinbad. Great old-style D&D movie. Map puzzle to secret island. Wizard with homonculus. Animated statue of Kali. Ray Harryhausen special effects. And of course, Tom Baker as the evil wizard Koura.

Why do we always have to attack uphill?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:45 pm 

King Kong
Ancient civilization/ruins, large critters, dinosaurs, giant ape..what an adventure could be had there.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:46 pm 

Almost forgot..Cabin Boy
The perfect seafaring adventure..just watch out for the tobacco spitting cupcake :lol:

ShaneG.

PreviousNext