Favoite D&D movie that isn't a D&D movie
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:26 pm 

I am on board with Legend. It grows on you.

Liked Labyrinth, too. Got Dark Crystal for my kids.

Abosutely hated Dragonslayer.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:31 pm 

5 star system

the 13th Warrior = 3
Deathstalker = 0
Deathstalker on MST3K = 3
Krull = 2.5
Flesh and Blood = 3
Beastmaster = 2
Legend = 2.5
Willow = 2.5
Dragonslayer = 3
Jason and the Argonauts = 3
Clash 'O' Titans = 2
Labyrinth = 1.5
Ladyhawke = 1.5 (Worst 80's music...EVER)
Dragonheart = 1.5
The Neverending story = .5
The Dark Crystal = 3
The Princess Bride = 4
Monty Python and the Holy Grail = 4

-I make no apologies for my opinions

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:39 pm 

Might not be everyones cup of tea but there is The Never Ending Story. Then there is Time Bandits, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (spelling), and the little movies all starting with LotR.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:41 pm 

Zippanthropus wrote:5 star system

the 13th Warrior = 3
Deathstalker = 0
Deathstalker on MST3K = 3
Krull = 2.5
Flesh and Blood = 3
Beastmaster = 2
Legend = 2.5
Willow = 2.5
Dragonslayer = 3
Jason and the Argonauts = 3
Clash 'O' Titans = 2
Labyrinth = 1.5
Ladyhawke = 1.5 (Worst 80's music...EVER)
Dragonheart = 1.5
The Neverending story = .5
The Dark Crystal = 3
The Princess Bride = 4
Monty Python and the Holy Grail = 4

-I make no apologies for my opinions

First person I have ever heard mention Flesh & Blood besides me  :lol:

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:55 pm 

This is really summoning up some nostalgia....

I had a super email exchange with Deadlord regarding just how great the Conan movie is.....but you're right, it is a film unto its own....

I really liked the Dark Crystal. Still a real favourite of mine! It's just so creative and original.

The Holy Grail was cool, but I always hated playing D&D with guys who thought it was the coolest thing ever to suddenly start reciting the entire phukkin movie from start to finish and thereby derail the entire campaign for a couple of hours......boooo......

Funny, as a kid the Dragonslayer book was really neat- the movie, not so much. Krull spooked me out, what with the little Ann Coulters jumping out of those bad guys heads when they got killed...

LadyHawke...ugh...not my thing- the music really gives me splitting eyeball headaches! Didn't Tiffany do a music video for that one?

But my all time favourite is: EXCALIBUR!!!!!

OMFG, the once and future film!

Bree-Yark!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:25 pm 

RWilson wrote:LadyHawke...ugh...not my thing- the music really gives me splitting eyeball headaches! Didn't Tiffany do a music video for that one?

I actually kinda liked the movie...or at least the premise of it.  But yeah the music was pretty bad.  I guess at the time they thought Alan Parsons was a pretty good idea.  How could they go wrong.  Toto and Brian Eno had just done the score for Dune and look how well that went.  :P

Oh...and I would rather sit and watch a 24 hour Dragonslayer/Beastmaster marathon than just one showing of Krull.  Yick.  :?

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:34 pm 

At least someone, other than me, liked Ladyhawke :D

Michelle Pfeiffer was really hot then.  Matthew Broderick was an amusing thief.  Rutger Hauer was intense.  The music was appropriate for the time the movie was produced.

Most of the movies mentioned in this thread could be considered a bit cheesy by today's standards.  Gotta put them in context.

Oh, the made-for-TV Merlin was pretty cool!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:10 pm 

Highlander. Not quite D&D, but awesome.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:36 pm 

Surprised no one mentioned Army of Darkness.  Had to listen to this from my brothers whenever we played D&D through the 90's:

"Listen up, you primitive screwheads..." Whenever the party had to deal with villagers

"This is a boomstick" Whenever the mage used one of his many wands

"Name's Ash. Housewares" Whenever introducing themselves to someone...

"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun"  When about to kill an opponent.

"Groovy"  (Technically from Evil Dead #2, the movie before Army of Darkness). Used constantly to annoy me before a combat ensued.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:38 am 

Secret of Nihm is pretty good -  Yes, the animated movie with intelligent rats & mice.  Once you are within the rat's underground world, it all translates to D&D characters rather nicely . . . Nicodemius is the ancient Wizard, Justin, Jennar & Brutus . . .

It's amazing how many movies I would translate into D&D terms when I watched them . . .   Almost anything could be given their appropriate class, stats, etc.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:44 am 

OK...

The greatest fantasy (and therefore D&D) movies of all time outside of anything by Tolkien:

The 13th Warrior  

Simply an awesome treatment of the genre even though it is an adaptation of a novel by Michael Crichton...one of Hollywood's cheesiest authors.  An astonishingly accurate portrayal of Norse society and thought patterns...although with some deliberately anachronistic armor.  A beautiful adaptation that even makes us cheer for a Moslem protagonist.  Some of the cinematography in this movie was just mindblowing, including a moving closeup shot of the faces of charging horses, lit by firelight.  Too cool.

Excalibur

A movie of very powerful themes and simply great music.  I became a fan of Carl Orff and Richard Wagner because I encountered them on this soundtrack.  The film was obviously meant to be much longer and suffers from some curiously edited scenes.  Still, there was a phase in my life when I watched this movie on video way too many times.

Highlander

The man we all wanted to be:  Handsome (although with a ludicrous Miami Vice shadow beard that didn't work even back when such things were cool), mysterious, deadly, romantic and immortal.  The Highlander TV series was awesome as well.  I regard it as a totally separate storyline.  I absolutely refuse to acknowledge that any sequels were ever made by Hollywood morons who did not know even one thing about what made the first movie so great and who clearly had no respect or understanding of  fantasy literature.  There was no sequel.  No.

Blade Runner

Although it was technically not a D&D movie (D&D rhymes with "moronic" in Hollywood minds) it was still a seminal movie for so much of the RPG's of the 80's and 90's.  Give me the original version, with the detective genre voiceovers, please!  Great stuff...particularly if you watch it enough times to figure out what is going on.  Rutger Hauer has some great lines, including a slight misquote of William Blake that was still oh so eloquent.

The Road Warrior

OK...also not a D&D movie, but the impact of this film...especially on first viewing...is great.  I had not seen Mad Max and did not know anything about this movie going in.  I also missed the first 20 or so seconds of narrative, and so did not even know the movie was a sequel.  The depth of Max's character, demanded a prequel...I knew there had to be a previous story because only an unmentioned tragedy could have produced that character.  Apparently, Mel Gibson got tired of playing a motorized messiah and eventually decided to make a movie about an actual messiah.  The number of lines that gamers still quote from this movie is enough give it a place in the D&D movie pantheon.

Not that I have any opinions on the topic.   :wink:

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:49 am 

Oh, crap, Badmike!  I totally forgot about Army of Darkness!

What a good movie!  Hilarioius, violent and soooo quotable!

Might as well put Big Trouble in Little China on the list as well.  Much much fun!

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:30 am 

Is The Blues Brothers a D&D movie?
:)  :)  :)

... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite ...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:06 am 

Gladiator, if you are using the The Glory of Rome Campaign Sourcebook... :D

In search of the unknown...

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:51 am 

The Sword of Xanten (Ring of the Nibelungs) is a wonderful film and went straight into my top ten

13th Warrior is based upon the book Eaters of the Dead, which is based upon the account of the real Ahmad Ibn Fadlan

Hercules and Kull are pretty fair too.

BJS

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:07 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I also liked Legend.  Before you throw stones and laugh I just want to say that overall the movie was boring and pretty ridiculous.  But after watching it a couple of times, I saw it from quite a different perspective.  Swords, sorcery, good vs. evil, fairies, goblins, etc.  It's all pretty much there.  And the Tangerine Dream soundtrack wasnt half bad either.  8)

It is one of the two movies I did not manage to force myself to see until the end. About halfway, I really couldn't stand it anymore.

As a curiosity, the other one was Monty Python: The Meaning of Life (sorry to red_bus and all Englishmen here).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:21 am 

b_stedman wrote:The Sword of Xanten (Ring of the Nibelungs) is a wonderful film and went straight into my top ten

13th Warrior is based upon the book Eaters of the Dead, which is based upon the account of the real Ahmad Ibn Fadlan

Hercules and Kull are pretty fair too.

BJS

I like Crighton books for the most part. One of the few authors I buy in HC on publication. Congo was great - movie sucked.

Since we seem to have exhausted actual sword and sorcery type movies and have drifted in sf/D&D style: The Goonies, Chronicles of Narnia (new version) and even Pirates of the Carribean.

Another animated movie is The Black Cauldron.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:34 am 

guerret wrote:
As a curiosity, the other one was Monty Python: The Meaning of Life (sorry to red_bus and all Englishmen here).

No apology needed - it is a great film  :D

Although worth noting that although I live in London, I am actually Irish and not English.  In fact I do not even consider that I (really) live in England.  I  would very happily have London secede from the UK and set it up as a city state (think Renaissance Florence, or Ancient Athens) with separate passport control at the M25 (that is the circular motorway that runs around most of London).  Of course we would pay England for continued use of Heathrow Airport and a few other services, but I think the idea could really work…

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

PreviousNext