Favoite D&D movie that isn't a D&D movie
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:51 pm 

I actually had some down time the other night (after 9 p.m. and kids were sleeping and wife gone for girls night out). Nothing was on the tube. Figures. Not even some stupid scifi channel movie.

So I start flipping through my paltry DVD collection...sure would have been nice to watch some mindless D&D-type movie. Of course I don't own either of the last two pieces of crap that come out - you know the ones.

I started thinking about what movies out there are D&D-like and are better than anything we have seen that is actually supposed to be D&D.

Off the top of my head I thought of the 13th Warrior. Party of heroes. Adventure, danger and death.

Your turn to recommend. (no LoTR or Conan - they are their own setting).

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:06 pm 

There are a lot of good bits in The Golden Child. I've stolen (er, used/transplanted) several of 'em. ;>

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:07 pm 

Funnily enough I watched the 13th Warrior the other day too.  It is great - daring deeds, wily adventurers and it is also genuinely scary.  Scary because you really don't know what is going to happen.  It is quite rare to find an action film where the ending isn't being broadcast in 60' high letters for the hard-of-understanding by the half way point.  Scary like when you first played D&D and you didn't know what was round the corner of the corridor or in the next cave...  

great stuff.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:10 pm 

BTW, anyone catch the reference to D&D in the season finale of Veronica Mars the other night? My wife and I actually laughed out loud.  It would take far too long to set up the entire scene, but basically surfer dude/rich kid's younger brother is up in a hotel room on graduation night with the school's resident computer genius girl-nerd getting nookie.  Veronica Mars needs to find her, asks surfer dude where his brother is, and he answers something like "Up in their hotel room having sex...or playing Dungeons and Dragons."  You had to be there, it was funny...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:21 pm 

My man suggests Krull... I have to giggle and mention Hawk the slayer... oh god.. that movie is SOOO BAD! I couldn't bear to watch any more of it.

Lodos war (both of them) are pretty d&d...

hmmm...

Beastmaster.. .crime against humanity... oh dear god.. panty thievery though...

Deathstalker. also crap...

why are most of these d&d like films so crap?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:34 pm 

John Boorman's Excalibur

...it's got it all!

Let's go fly a kite

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:53 pm 

flying_purple_monkfish wrote:My man suggests Krull... I have to giggle and mention Hawk the slayer... oh god.. that movie is SOOO BAD! I couldn't bear to watch any more of it.

Lodos war (both of them) are pretty d&d...

hmmm...

Beastmaster.. .crime against humanity... oh dear god.. panty thievery though...

Deathstalker. also crap...

why are most of these d&d like films so crap?

Because the entertainment industry has consistently treated the fan of fantasy as a demented, dimwitted 13 year old, shown no respect for the product, and actually most of the time both the actors and directors act embarrassed to be doing the picture.  The funny thing is most fantasy until 30-40 years ago was very adult in content and nature.  Even stuff like the Sinbad movies showed interest and respect in the product.  It wasn't until "realism" got big in the 60's-70's that most fantasy, comic book and horror entertainment turned into utter crap, as most directors, writers and actors were only able to approach the material as campy or a big in-joke.  Tim Burton's Batman may have been crap, but at least it reversed a 50 year trend where comic book heroes were treated like jokes, leading indirectly to decent films like the Spiderman and XMen franchises.  Some day fantasy lovers will have Peter Jackson to thank, as his treatment of Lord of the Rings has (IMO) finally reversed a long trend towards treaing fantasy heros as moronic Hercules and Xena clones or worse.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:14 pm 

bbarsh wrote:I actually had some down time the other night (after 9 p.m. and kids were sleeping and wife gone for girls night out). Nothing was on the tube. Figures. Not even some stupid scifi channel movie.

So I start flipping through my paltry DVD collection...sure would have been nice to watch some mindless D&D-type movie. Of course I don't own either of the last two pieces of crap that come out - you know the ones.

I started thinking about what movies out there are D&D-like and are better than anything we have seen that is actually supposed to be D&D.

Off the top of my head I thought of the 13th Warrior. Party of heroes. Adventure, danger and death.

Your turn to recommend. (no LoTR or Conan - they are their own setting).

Geez, I was about to say Conan when I read the last line. Probably,then, I have to agree on Krull.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:14 pm 

Someone besides me who actually appreciates The 13th Warrior?  Wow, and I thought I was the only one.   I loved the part where he takes that huge sword to the blacksmith and grinds it down to the easier-to-wield scimitar looking thing he ends up with.  :lol:

I gotta go with King Arthur.  It didnt have the mystical feel to it like Excalibur did but I thought it was a great flick altogether.

I also liked Legend.  Before you throw stones and laugh I just want to say that overall the movie was boring and pretty ridiculous.  But after watching it a couple of times, I saw it from quite a different perspective.  Swords, sorcery, good vs. evil, fairies, goblins, etc.  It's all pretty much there.  And the Tangerine Dream soundtrack wasnt half bad either.  8)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:06 pm 

Willow and Dragonslayer

And I want my life back from watching those D&D movies.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:34 pm 

Has anyone seen the movie The Gamers (2002 or 2003) by Dead Gentlemen Productions?  I've heard good things but can't seem to find it at the local video store.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:37 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I also liked Legend.  Before you throw stones and laugh I just want to say that overall the movie was boring and pretty ridiculous.  But after watching it a couple of times, I saw it from quite a different perspective.  Swords, sorcery, good vs. evil, fairies, goblins, etc.  It's all pretty much there.  And the Tangerine Dream soundtrack wasnt half bad either.  8)

Legend is a really interesting (if flawed  :) ) film - but I seem to recall we got a different version in the UK  - no Tangerine Dream, but an orchestral score instead... ?  Don't know if the film was cut differently either way.

Let's go fly a kite

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:09 pm 

red_bus wrote:John Boorman's Excalibur

...it's got it all!

Including Nicol Williamson who steals the film.  One of my all time favourites.
red_bus wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:I also liked Legend.  Before you throw stones and laugh I just want to say that overall the movie was boring and pretty ridiculous.  But after watching it a couple of times, I saw it from quite a different perspective.  Swords, sorcery, good vs. evil, fairies, goblins, etc.  It's all pretty much there.  And the Tangerine Dream soundtrack wasnt half bad either.  8)

Legend is a really interesting (if flawed  :) ) film - but I seem to recall we got a different version in the UK  - no Tangerine Dream, but an orchestral score instead... ?  Don't know if the film was cut differently either way.

Slightly longer and better IMO.  Although a Directors cut is now available which is longer still.  Works with both soundtracks in their own way.  But the original orchestral score is much better.  Not sure why it got cut for the USA.

Hard to believe that Ridley Scott followed Blade Runner with this.  Although they both bombed at the box office if I remember correctly.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:17 pm 

johnhuck wrote:
red_bus wrote:

Slightly longer and better IMO.  Although a Directors cut is now available which is longer still.  Works with both soundtracks in its own way.  But the original orchestral score is much better.  Not sure why it got cut for the USA.

I checked out the listing for Legend on IMDB and noticed that there were a couple of quotes regarding the soundtrack differences between U.K. and U.S.

I find it extremely odd that when i bought a normal version of Legend on DVD (Not special edition) it didn't have Tangerine Dream, it completely ruined the film for me, because Tangerine Dream mangaged to create such a good atmosphere. I mean seriously, Jack and Lilly running into the sunset without "Loved by the sun"? Total madness i tell you! But why can't i buy Legend on DVD without Jerry Goldsmith's original score?! (Maybe because i'm in the U.K?)But other than that..Legend is the best film ever

and

Jerry Goldsmith´s score is a timeless masterpiece compared to Tangerine Dream´s dated, in three weeks done 80´s pop score. The sound has much more emotional texture and complexity.

It´s really a shame that Ridley Scott became uncertain about his film due to some pot smoking people making jokes during the test screening.

I also checked out Filmtracks.com and they have a lengthy discussion about what happened with the film's soundtrack.

What Tangerine Dream provided was electronically and thematically inferior compared to Goldsmith's symphonic/synthetic hybrid effort, and the members of Tangerine Dream themselves would become frustrated when Sheinberg would mutilate their score in the film as well. Ironically, when the film was beefed up in length for American television, scenes with Goldsmith's score from the European version ended up alongside scenes with Tangerine Dream music, making for the ultimate experience in film score failure and embarrassment. After Sheinberg's foolish actions, Legend was a total failure in America, seizing neither teenagers nor families. Part of this failure was no doubt due to the removal of Goldsmith's score.

I dont think I saw it on TV so I have never heard the Jerry Goldsmith score.  Too bad, always liked Jerry's stuff...including the music he did for The 13th Warrior.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:24 pm 

Willow has gotta be one of the better ones...also loved the old Jason and the Argonauts movies...Clash of the Titans was epic in its day...although it seems cheesey now.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:35 pm 

Labyrinth and Willow (mentioned previously) were great.  Another interesting one was DragonHeart.  I really liked Dragon Slayer.  One of my favorites, which didn't have too much of the fantasy element, was Ladyhawke.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:50 pm 

I liked the Sword and the Sorceror, Excalibur and the Conan flicks.

13th warrior was good too.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:04 pm 

Most of the ones I can think of off the top of my head have already been mentioned.  The two glaring omissions are The Princess Bride and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  The later of which greatly influenced many of the D&D sessions I played in highschool and university.

When I was younger I was quite taken with The Neverending story and The Dark Crystal.

Also the relatively recent Sci-Fi movie Merlin was pretty good.  

And one I don't like: LadyHawk

Next