admin Q:  site/forums backups and site donations?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:02 am 

Hiya Scott---

ENWorld just had a db crash that means that they're currently running on a backup from 12/29/2005 and may lose everything from then until yesterday or so.  eZboard has a spectacular crash/hack/inside job/pure incompetence/whatever last summer that trashed a ton of content across many of their boards, including RJK, Necromancer Games, and many, many others.

The ENWorld crash got me thinking about how often the info from the site and forums are backed up?  I'd hate to lose the collective wisdom that we have dug through on print runs, esoteric product print runs, etc.

Also what's the status on site donations?  Have you been getting them in sufficient amount/numbers that you're in good shape?  I haven't ever gotten around to donating myself, but since I never heard much about it after your initial posts on the subject, I figured you were OK, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask about the status of that too :D

Thnaks!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:24 am 

I'll second this.
I'd urge everyone who uses this board as their primary RPG home to make a small donation.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:10 am 

I have already ready done it a few weeks ago :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:12 am 

Blackmoor wrote:I have already ready done it a few weeks ago :)

i must get around to that too  :oops:

everytime i get to the point where i think "hmmm right" then i have a sh*t load of other stuff i need to sort too   :?

Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:16 am 

I need to re-up from last year....$20-$30 isn't too much to ask for all the hard work Scott does.  Think about how much time you spend here and all the bang for the buck....it's worth $20 a year.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:27 am 

I re-donated for the max amount already . . . but it's me who is getting the better deal.   Not only does it support the acaeum - it's the absolute best deal on web hosting around.  

The absolute best deal.  8)

Thanks Scott!

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:08 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Not only does it support the acaeum - it's the absolute best deal on web hosting around.

It's worth it for the web space alone. There isn't any commercial space cheaper or with as much bandwidth. If you have a website, it's worth looking at how much you pay your host and what you're getting for your money. The Acaeum is far cheaper.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:50 pm 

I just donated a couple of months ago.  IT IS A GREAT VALUE!  I now use The Acaeum for email and web space.  Also I can, from personal experience, vouch that Scott provides excellent customer service to those who need help getting things setup.

Regardless of what I mention above though, I don't think I would enjoy my  experiences on The Acaeum as much if I had to deal with things like annoying advertisments, pop ups, etc.  So I think the $20 donation is well worth it just to keep the site spam free.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:42 am 

grodog wrote:The ENWorld crash got me thinking about how often the info from the site and forums are backed up?  I'd hate to lose the collective wisdom that we have dug through on print runs, esoteric product print runs, etc.

Ever since the hacking incident here (two years ago?), I've been paranoid about both patching the software and backing up the database.  The database gets backed up roughly every one to two weeks, and I keep the last two backups in cryogenic storage.

I don't know the specifics of the eZBoard software, but the phpBB forum in use here is pretty stable... if you keep up with the current version.  I don't know of any successful attacks against a phpBB forum that's current.  Few admins keep their forums current, however, so they're inevitably vulnerable to the hackers (who usually take about six months to turn a vulnerability into a working exploit).

On the donations note, it's been a huge success.  We're currently paid up well into next year (maybe even into 2008), so that's why you haven't heard me whining.  :)  However, what several of the others said here is true: it really is a ridiculously good deal on web hosting.  So, your motivations to donate should either be to get a good deal on webspace, and/or to support a worthy cause -- but not because the site is in any danger of going under, or morphing to an advertising-based solution.  Neither of those things will happen at least until 2008.

Foul